Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Hurricane Season is Upon Us

I have a hurricane fascination. It is June 1st, the start of the hurricane season and I am already checking in on one of my favorite sites to follow beginning at this time... National Hurricane Center.

Hurricane season started yesterday and runs through until November. The seasons first named storm has already happened and is expected to dissipate over Mexico, tropical depression Arthur, as once again forecasters are calling for an active season.

I'm not sure if I am the only one who has this fascination, but as these monsters begin building off the coast of Africa, gliding along the lesser Antilles, feeding off the seasonably warm water and true natural violence and wonder begin, I cheer for the hurricane. I check in as potential depressions and cyclones build, check forecasting predictions, potential for growth, and I absolutely cheer. Go Hurricane! Grow! Grow! Go Hurricane!

It isn't that I want to see destruction, or death or mayhem that lays in their paths, that follows in their wakes, but I am just sooo fascinated by the power of nature, and seeing it at its full force, that I can't seem to not cheer for them.

So hello hurricane season. Go! Go! Go!
    Last edited by Youngblood; 06-02-2008 at 01:15 PM.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Hurricane Season is Upon Us

Umm,Thanks Youngblood ...trust me bro,I have a frontrow seat and bags packed sitting by the frontdoor........I am not staying through that insanity again.Hey.....we already have leaky levees discovered two weeks ago.If I fail to log in here at least once in a 24 hour span.........Im floating down the Mississippi

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli surfs 'Nawlins View Post
    Umm,Thanks Youngblood ...trust me bro,I have a frontrow seat and bags packed sitting by the frontdoor........I am not staying through that insanity again.Hey.....we already have leaky levees discovered two weeks ago.If I fail to log in here at least once in a 24 hour span.........Im floating down the Mississippi
    In some strange and twisted way, I envy you for it too. Of course not the hardship, death and destruction. Wouldn't wish that on anyone.

But damn I want to see me some hurricane. If I had the money and time and means, I would be in one of those planes flying thru it as it formed, and there on the shore where ever it lands.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Youngblood View Post
    In some strange and twisted way, I envy you for it too. Of course not the hardship, death and destruction. Wouldn't wish that on anyone.

But damn I want to see me some hurricane. If I had the money and time and means, I would be in one of those planes flying thru it as it formed, and there on the shore where ever it lands.
    We got hit by Hurricane Juan a few years ago. It beat us up bad even though it was only a Cat 2 storm. It's forward momentum was very fast so it hit us with the thud of a cat 3 storm.

Check out what Hurricane Juan did to Halifax, Nova Scotia (that is where I am from)...it beat us up and pissed on us all night.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Deanrw View Post

We got hit by Hurricane Juan a few years ago. It beat us up bad even though it was only a Cat 2 storm. It's forward momentum was very fast so it hit us with the thud of a cat 3 storm.

Check out what Hurricane Juan did to Halifax, Nova Scotia (that is where I am from)...it beat us up and pissed on us all night.
    You know Dean, I have seen it and I did follow it. I remember it was supposed to lose strength as it worked it's way up the Eastern seaboard, as they often do, and hit as a strong tropical or weaker Cat. 1. But it wouldn't give it up, and plowed in at a Cat. 2 and moving quickly, as you say. Unusual that strength for there.

But those hurricanes are almost always moving fast by the time they start moving towards the North Atlantic.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

A year of living in Jacksonville FL has given me a very healthy hatred of hurricanes

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Trainer Monkey View Post
    A year of living in Jacksonville FL has given me a very healthy hatred of hurricanes
    I have friends of the family that stay down there. They've had to evacuate several times. I believe I'd either have to leave early, or just board up my home and ride it out, because I couldn't stand having to drive bumper to bumper, and it takes hours just to get through one town.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Deanrw View Post

By pissing on you, there's nothing wrong with that. A little rain never hurt anybody.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Clubber View Post
    I have friends of the family that stay down there. They've had to evacuate several times. I believe I'd either have to leave early, or just board up my home and ride it out, because I couldn't stand having to drive bumper to bumper, and it takes hours just to get through one town.
    The problem with those buggers is they veer,and suddenly,so you cant just blow out every time.
    But two weeks of getting the duct tape off your windows,having to move all the beds away from the windows,and having one of the exits from your semi-gated community blocked by a downed tree,will great your nerves

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Clubber View Post
    The problem with those buggers is they veer,and suddenly,so you cant just blow out every time.
    But two weeks of getting the duct tape off your windows,having to move all the beds away from the windows,and having one of the exits from your semi-gated community blocked by a downed tree,will great your nerves
    It's not as bad up here in Georgia. We catch a lot of rain sometimes, but we don't have to evacuate.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I used to live in Norfolk, Virginia for a few years as a very young kid and I remember when our house got boarded up in preparation for a hurricane. I forget the name at the moment but it was a very famous hurricane that at the last minute, veered away from us and hit North Carolina. It was like 94 or 95 if anyone remembers the name I can't believe I'm blanking it out. It was pretty scary, my first real weather scare but nothing compared to the storms and tornadoes in Kentucky. We did get hit with one hurricane but only my dad was affected, the rest of us were in California visiting family. Still, it's scary stuff.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

From june to november is the hurricane (super typhoon) season in the Philippines. It sucks when you don't have a generator.

El Kabong Guest

Time for A Hurricane Party!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xg-zwba7l5w

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I can't imagine the old days when they didn't have technology and satellites to help see hurricanes coming. I imagine it must've killed them by the thousands.

El Kabong Guest

...people avoided them by being smart enough to not build houses right on the beach

Thread Information