Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Coaching Certification as a Fighter

Quote Originally Posted by sourpuss View Post
    I'm a certified level one official, certified coach as well as a boxer. I recommend it to any boxer. The more time in the ring the better. The judging and reffing has really helped me figure out what works and what doesn't. Reffing is the best seat in the house to pick up other guys' tricks and stuff.
    so how would you even go about taking these classes? Or is it something your trainer will guide you through if you just ask?
    Last edited by southpawed; 06-11-2008 at 08:02 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I don't know where you are located but in the states you have to take a clinic from a certified level 2 official. If you contact your LBC president they would know who the person is that can give the clinics. Then you have to pass the test, which is pretty easy, especially if you already know the rules.
    Most times the clinics are given the day of an event since everyone is gathered in the same town on that day. There is a fee for a background check as well and then you are issued a passbook similar to the one you have for competing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I don't know where you are located but in the states you have to take a clinic from a certified level 2 official. If you contact your LBC president they would know who the person is that can give the clinics. Then you have to pass the test, which is pretty easy, especially if you already know the rules.
    Most times the clinics are given the day of an event since everyone is gathered in the same town on that day. There is a fee for a background check as well and then you are issued a passbook similar to the one you have for competing.
    I see.. So this would be actual certification to be a coach at any boxing gym and allow you to be cornerman at comps? Interesting..I wouldnt mind coaching boxing.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

There's no background check here....
    You should see some of the "reformed" characters that coach here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I dont know where in the states your located,but most states will do a lick and stick

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Trainer Monkey View Post
    I dont know where in the states your located,but most states will do a lick and stick
    I had to remind myself 3 times this was the training section, TM. Plus I had to backspace my reply 3 times. lol

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Funnily its harder to qualifiy as an Amatuer than a Pro Trainer a lot harder.
    Pain lasts a only a minute, but the memory will last forever....

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

i suspect thats because in amateur, its a direct feeder to the olypica where pro is a feeder to the mob...

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap View Post
    Funnily its harder to qualifiy as an Amatuer than a Pro Trainer a lot harder.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I live in Montana, they are pretty strict here with officiating.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I keep thinking you are in Colorado. They are close though, right? Lots of mountains and wide open spaces and such?

I have a question for you or anyone else who may know. After level one, what is required to gain level 2 and so on, and what is learned with it, or its benefits. I think I read too that for the level 1 you need to be active and do some things to keep it, plus to move on. Any ideas what that might be?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Becoming a trainer could be cool down the line if you ever want to own your own gym. So its a good idea to start learning now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Youngblood View Post
    I keep thinking you are in Colorado. They are close though, right? Lots of mountains and wide open spaces and such?

I have a question for you or anyone else who may know. After level one, what is required to gain level 2 and so on, and what is learned with it, or its benefits. I think I read too that for the level 1 you need to be active and do some things to keep it, plus to move on. Any ideas what that might be?
    I don't know what the rules are in Canada but here, for a level two you have to have officiated at a regional tournament and have been a level one for two years.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

...and yes MT and Colorado are similar. But still a good 12-15 hour drive.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If you're going to be a coach and a fighter it'd probably be better to train people in a different weight class (or a different kind of boxing) to avoid conflicts of interest and stuff.

For example, if the person you train gets aggressive and takes a lot of risks, even if you're not, people might suspect you're encouraging them to be that way to help damage your potential competitors (including the student).

A coach should be interested in creating a healthy boxing career for their pupils. However, since boxers have an interest in others dropping out and having shorter careers (as it means less experienced opponents to fight) one should not be coaching people who are fighting in the same class they are... IMO.

Are there people that do that? I don't really know.

I mean, it'd probably be okay if you were the welterweight champion and training people who haven't gone pro, or who are in the low leagues and nowhere near fighting you or anyone who'd be fighitng you, but as the expanse closes up, you would want to change it up probably.

Now that I think about it, this kind of situation happened in this anime I watched Hajime no Ippo and there didn't seem to be any objections to it... so maybe I was overreacting? Basically, the lightweight champion's student, who was also lightweight, was fighting Ippo (main char) who was lightweight. After Ippo fought him, he'd be going on to fight the champion...

But to me, it seems like a conflict, because the student might decide to incur some injuries in order to hurt Ippo. Even if no one is that immoral, it's just a situation people tend to avoid so as to simplify people's concerns.

It's sort of like what you see in 'Karate Kid'. The guy is instructed to take penalties by inflicting illegal moves, not just to win the match and destroy moral, but also because Danny Karuso was also competing in other events and it would negatively affect his ability to score more points than team Dragon in those categories.

Or... I actually might be mixing that up with 'Sidekicks'... but you get the idea. Chuck Norris...

Thread Information