Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Coaching Certification as a Fighter

Quote Originally Posted by tyciol View Post
    If you're going to be a coach and a fighter it'd probably be better to train people in a different weight class (or a different kind of boxing) to avoid conflicts of interest and stuff.

For example, if the person you train gets aggressive and takes a lot of risks, even if you're not, people might suspect you're encouraging them to be that way to help damage your potential competitors (including the student).

A coach should be interested in creating a healthy boxing career for their pupils. However, since boxers have an interest in others dropping out and having shorter careers (as it means less experienced opponents to fight) one should not be coaching people who are fighting in the same class they are... IMO.

Are there people that do that? I don't really know.

I mean, it'd probably be okay if you were the welterweight champion and training people who haven't gone pro, or who are in the low leagues and nowhere near fighting you or anyone who'd be fighitng you, but as the expanse closes up, you would want to change it up probably.

Now that I think about it, this kind of situation happened in this anime I watched Hajime no Ippo and there didn't seem to be any objections to it... so maybe I was overreacting? Basically, the lightweight champion's student, who was also lightweight, was fighting Ippo (main char) who was lightweight. After Ippo fought him, he'd be going on to fight the champion...

But to me, it seems like a conflict, because the student might decide to incur some injuries in order to hurt Ippo. Even if no one is that immoral, it's just a situation people tend to avoid so as to simplify people's concerns.

It's sort of like what you see in 'Karate Kid'. The guy is instructed to take penalties by inflicting illegal moves, not just to win the match and destroy moral, but also because Danny Karuso was also competing in other events and it would negatively affect his ability to score more points than team Dragon in those categories.

Or... I actually might be mixing that up with 'Sidekicks'... but you get the idea. Chuck Norris...
    No offence, but wth are we talking about here? cartoons? hollywood movies?

I just want to get my cert. so we can help each other when on the road and work the corners if need be. Plus learn more then I know now.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

To follow up on this thread, still haven't gotten certified as planned.

Have run into a roadblock of sorts, as there are age restrictions here in Ontario and only fairly limited courses available. Level 1 coaching certifications are broken down into 3 groups, Theory, Technical, and Practical. As far I can tell, only the theory will be available to me until I turn 16. The others are restricted by age...which kind of sucks, but I suppose the reasoning in general may be good. I suspect most under 16 don't have the experience to fully comprehend all that is involved...not really sure.

Anyway, must wait until there is a clinic open for theory, as that will give me the ability to work a corner and make it easier for us to travel to shows and trade off responsibilties.

Here is a link to the categories here in Ontario:

How to become a coach

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I've got both the fighters licence and level one coaching certificate also. I found the training was a bit so so in it's written components here but I got a HEAP out of the practical aspects. I got to hear about a lot of the little things which have been developed in different gyms and how they do things differently.

In some senses the gym i was in was a bit anti-social towards other gyms so having this avenue for investigating what we might learn from the other gyms was great! I'm pro anything that gets you mixing with other gyms in a safe, controlled way because that in my opinion is your best chance of getting good sparring etc which might not be available otherwise.

I have been offered coaching positions for kids groups etc which I did not get time to take on. I can't really see any conflicts since naturally fighters at my own level would always have their own main coaches.

I would never attempt to present myself as being anything more than a peer with team mates and I was always asking people to spot me, point out when i was sparring. I like to think I made team-mates feel I appreciated their input and often it was better than the coaches because they spent more time training with me!

I had to pay something like $150 for mine and I don't regret it so if you can get it for free go for it (as soon as you're allowed)!!

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

That's interesting Sharla, regarding the teaching others part. I only really want to get this to work a corner, but see the potential benefits of it...especially in learning anything I can.

I have gym class this semester and my coach asked me about us dedicating a week of class time to it, boxing, if I could bring the equipment. Basically some 16oz. gloves and a couple of headgears, focus pads etc.

He's a pretty awesome guy and works out with me whenever I am in the school gym early mornings (which is often), but I also wonder about liability? I suppose the liability will be his and the schools, and seeing as I have no licencing would assume I won't be accountable. It just surprised me that he wants this to happen...because I can see it already. People are gonna windmilling each other every chance they get! LOL

I do wonder if with certification, if some liability comes along with that. Anyone have any idea?

Thread Information