Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on Mayweather

Share/Bookmark
    ICB Guest

Default Re: Thoughts on Mayweather

I think Mayweather needs to fight one of the top Welterweights so his whole career doesn't get over shadowed. I don't think that way but i've seen a lot of fans dissing Mayweather's record/opposition. Because there simply getting caught up with this whole Mayweather vs Cotto siuation and etc. Im not saying its bad thing fans want Cotto vs Mayweather or Mayweather against any other top Welterweights, but because the division is so hot at the moment and the fans want to see the best P4P fighter challenged, i fear if Mayweather does retire he will be more remembered for ducking Cotto than his accomplishments at the lower weights classes by arm chair fans anyway. It just annoys me as a Mayweather fan that Mayweather is feeding these haters and is giving fans more of a reason to dislike him and etc.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Mayweather will be back. And his fans will be going..."I told you, I told you!" And his haters will be going..."We knew, we knew." I'd be prepared to make a sizeable some kinda long term bet. It's all about the limelight and having his name mentioned and in the media. Media attention = money. Mayweather = money. That simple, IMO.

Any one up for this long term bet?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm still pissed Mayweather has never fought Mosely, that was the obvious fight at lightweight back in the day, boo to both of them for never making that fight....modern era boxing...that wouldn't have happened in the 50's.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by El Gamo View Post
    I just needed to post this somewhere. Tremendous champion, possibly top 10-20 for most talented ever and an amazing amazing defence, which he will be remembered for but, and I don't think many will agree with me, he will also be remembered for winning the WW title at a time when the WW division was and still is the hottest in boxing and not defending it ONCE v a top ranked 147 pounder. This would have been akin to SRR not fighting the champs at middlweight like Lamotta etc. There's no excuse for it and regardless whether any Floyd fans choose to like it or not, at a time when gys like Williams,Cotto,Margarito and a TON of solid fighters were at 147,Floyd fought none of them and that's just a fact.
    I agree with you Gamo, I have never been a Mayweather fan but was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt until early next year to see if he fought Cotto after the proposed DLH rematch.

But for Floyd to retire & relinquish the 147 pound championship & P4P throne bugs me. He only needed to stay for one more fight against Cotto then all the questions would have been answered IMO.

Now we have a broken lineage at 147 but I think it creates great opportunities for the guys there at the moment who are willing to fight each other & fill the vacancy.

I hope Floyd doesn't try to come back in a year or so saying he's all that because I won't be interested because he should have done it now when it matters.
    The Best There Is, The Best There Was, The Best There Ever Will Be

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He doesn't want to fight. I am glad he retired. Oscar doesn't want to fight either. If the motherfuckers want to take up knitting, more power to them. It is better that than feed us bullshit. One bullshit fight, yeah thats cool. Two bullshit fights.....hey I am a fight fan. But it gets old.

PBF being so skilled just makes him that much more of a waste.
    "If there's a better chin in the world than Pryor's, it has to be on Mount Rushmore." -Pat Putnam.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Excellent post booze and Galaxy. I totally agree. I just hope I'm wrong in thinking that this is some kind of trick in order to attain parity with Oscar purse wise. I wouldn't put it past Mayweather though!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Great blog by Dan Rafael in the ESPN boxing website! Bank on "Money's" return is the name of the link.

It's like he read this thread and decided to post something in reaction to it...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Youngblood View Post
    Mayweather will be back. And his fans will be going..."I told you, I told you!" And his haters will be going..."We knew, we knew." I'd be prepared to make a sizeable some kinda long term bet. It's all about the limelight and having his name mentioned and in the media. Media attention = money. Mayweather = money. That simple, IMO.

I agree that Mayweather will be back for sure. This is what I see happening.

PBF's retired for now

Cotto Will beat Margo whitch then Cotto will go on to Fight Oscar sometime in I say November or December then once Cotto Disposes of Oscar PBF will come out of retirement to then fight Cotto. Its all about money and if Cotto beats Margo and Oscar he's gonna be the biggest draw in boxing pretty much which means PBF vs Cotto is going to bring in Millions probably more than the Oscar vs PBF did.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Wadeb_21 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Youngblood View Post

I agree that Mayweather will be back for sure. This is what I see happening.

PBF's retired for now

Cotto Will beat Margo whitch then Cotto will go on to Fight Oscar sometime in I say November or December then once Cotto Disposes of Oscar PBF will come out of retirement to then fight Cotto. Its all about money and if Cotto beats Margo and Oscar he's gonna be the biggest draw in boxing pretty much which means PBF vs Cotto is going to bring in Millions probably more than the Oscar vs PBF did.
    I don't think it'll be bigger than "The World Awaits" but it sure will be a cashcow. Oscar made that fight as big as it was.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Why do so many people think PBF is this marketing genius who just does all this stuff to promote himself

He's a childish and immature drama queen. He makes a stink about "the best trainer in the world" hurting his potential fight, then retires? Come on guys, his emotional maturity is that of a teenager. He retired after Baldo, the whole press conference stunt, every time he's on ESPN he argues with the announcer and is unintelligible. He is a major talent in the ring, but he's a wreck outside of it and that's why he pulls these stunts. He's not a genius at promoting himself, if he was he would be well liked. He can't carry a ppv by himself, his big paydays were against top draw fighters who have consistently carried ppv's by themselves.

Give him credit for skills in the ring, but that's as far as it goes. He has done his own image more harm than good everywhere else, and that's the whole reason there is an argument about his "legacy".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Floyd will fight again. He just was not motivated. He needs people to doubt him so he can train on the doubt. He wants to be the underdog. U fight and train different when you are chasing in contrast to being the one chased. Cotto would be the perfect fight if he builds his unbeatable persona up that would give Floyd that motivation to say, O K everyone is doubting me so now thats my motivation. When u are on top for so long sometimes u must play head games with yourself. The I TOLD U SO FACTOR is more powerful then most people realize. If the star align correctly Floyd will be in that position next year to do what I just said, come back with all the doubters, haters, and na sayers to in position to get beat along with his opponent. Mark My Words.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I don't care who you are. Inactivity is not smart.
    "If there's a better chin in the world than Pryor's, it has to be on Mount Rushmore." -Pat Putnam.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'd have liked to see the Mosely fight but the two fights that I really wanted to see that didn't happen were against Casamayor and KT. I think both of these would have helped shape his legacy better. If he doesn't beat Cotto/Marg winner then he can't even claim to be the best WW of his era much less an ATG. If he never fights again he will always be remembered for awe inspiring talent but not the best resume against his contemporaries.
    Most bad government has grown out of too much government. Thomas Jefferson

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Haven't thought much about him.
    Formerly LuciferTheGreat

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

My final thoughts on floyd (like he really ain't coming back, but just in case..) would be. The greatest of all time ?? Hell no. But the greatest of his time, i will always say he was. Miss him ?? No, i think this makes the whole picture so much more interesting and now we can finally ask different questions without everything always being compared to floyd. I still refuse to totally buy into this retirement stuff, he'll be back fighting some alien champion with four arms from another planet on ppv or some shit.
    Last edited by Mar; 06-13-2008 at 04:26 PM.
    Hidden Content Click clack ! Give up the purse.........or yetti will find you.

Thread Information