Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Sometimes I'm ashamed to be Canadian...

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Sometimes I'm ashamed to be Canadian...

Quote Originally Posted by boozeboxer View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lyle View Post
    Well everyone has their own opinion but I as an American have a view of my country that's different than you people from other countries...even a view different than some Americans. However, this doesn't make me wrong or you right...it just means we have different views of the way things are and the way they ought to be.....no reason to make assumptions that I am not a decent person because of my politics...I get along fine with plenty of people who are going to vote for Obama...I got along with everyone in France....I get along with people from other countries fine...I guess it comes across in a different way online, oh well.

Have your views....just allow me to have mine as well OR be up for debating.

I don't hate Canada......just Canadians....haha, only kidding
    I agree, except for the people and the weather, Canada is a great place.
    lol
    The weather where I live is outstanding. We probably have better weather than 80% of the States, though it does rain a fair bit. Of course, we're all going to die in a catastrophic earthquake, but that doesn't count as weather.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Well everyone has their own opinion but I as an American have a view of my country that's different than you people from other countries...even a view different than some Americans. However, this doesn't make me wrong or you right...it just means we have different views of the way things are and the way they ought to be.....no reason to make assumptions that I am not a decent person because of my politics...I get along fine with plenty of people who are going to vote for Obama...I got along with everyone in France....I get along with people from other countries fine...I guess it comes across in a different way online, oh well.

Have your views....just allow me to have mine as well OR be up for debating.

I don't hate Canada......just Canadians....haha, only kidding
    It's a lot easier to take a more polarized or antagonistic position online, because there are no real consequences.

I'm always up for a good debate, but you're the one who said to drop it - so I will after this.

In regards to your comment about being a decent people regardless of your politics, this is true. I'm sure ever George Bush, on a personal level, is probably a decent person. It's not like he's Hitler or Pol Pot. However, the actions of apparently decent people can still have grave consequences. A bad person is just as capable of making a good decision as a good person is capable of making a bad one. The consequences of those decisions is what is most important, not the impetus behind them (which is also important). I have a problem with many of the actions of the U.S. government since the Civil War, but I have no problem with individual Americans, it's not their fault that the elites control their society in the same way they have controlled nearly (perhaps all) society from the dawn of goverance.

I have no problem with you on a personal level, though for the life of me I can't understand your views or why you support the people you do. But that's cool, I'm sure you probably can't understand my views.

El Kabong Guest

I don't SUPPORT what Bush has done or Cheaney or Rove...but at some point I just get fucking tired of it. Everyone gangs up on the people who don't like the liberals like they agree with 100% of what George W. Bush has done.....to tell you the truth I doubt I could find 1 politician I agree 100% with....and there's no shortage of politicians.

I don't agree with everything that America has ever done but what can we do to fix the past? NOTHING, until someone invents a time machine and even then we'll probably misuse that. We can fix the future and the present but I'm sorry we're not going to agree on how to go about fixing it and we may even have trouble agreeing on what needs to be fixed to begin with.

I'm sorry if I come off a bit pretentious when I say "Who gives a fuck what other countries think" but honestly no one is going to respect and love America if American citizens don't do it...and yeah Bush has a lot to do with that but hell the Democratic Congress hasn't done us any favors either....they were elected to change things and things are still the same, the war is still going on when they wanted to end it and had an opportunity to do so but didn't act.

All I can say about the war is, if it's going to be done it might as well be done correctly from here on out....if we leave too soon maybe it leads to an immediate trouble with Iran or 2-3 years down the road we have to go back or whatever.....but if the ball does start rolling over there then maybe just maybe we can actually learn something from being there and end up making friends over a long looooong period of time...neither of those are really going to happen more than likely something inbetween will happen.

I can understand your views, I just don't think that trying to make life "fair" really works.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Same old. A thread about mindless news, and somehow Lyle manages to get in here...say canada governments sucks, all canadians suck. Then starts on with the talk.

Just so he can see himself type a bunch of his thoughts that have nothing to do with the theme of the post, but everything to do with his own political agenda. Sometimes I wonder who it is he is really trying to convince. Us, or himself?

El Kabong Guest

...or maybe I'm a double operative making sure you don't agree with my views therefore converting you to my secret views.......we may never know

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I don't SUPPORT what Bush has done or Cheaney or Rove...but at some point I just get fucking tired of it. Everyone gangs up on the people who don't like the liberals like they agree with 100% of what George W. Bush has done.....to tell you the truth I doubt I could find 1 politician I agree 100% with....and there's no shortage of politicians.
    I see what you're saying, but the history of conservatism (neo or otherwise) is certainly nothing that appeals to me. I'm not a big fan of self-righteous liberals either to be honest, I'm more of a middle of the road guy, but at least liberalism attempts to address social inequalities and things of that nature.
    In regards to Bush, those who pull his strings, and his cronies, they have the blood of thousands of innocent people on their hands and I simply cannot forgive that. It's nothing different than what many so called "evil" dictators have done, it's just being presently in a different way.

I don't agree with everything that America has ever done but what can we do to fix the past? NOTHING, until someone invents a time machine and even then we'll probably misuse that. We can fix the future and the present but I'm sorry we're not going to agree on how to go about fixing it and we may even have trouble agreeing on what needs to be fixed to begin with.
    I agree that there is no use crying over spilt milk, but burying ones head in the sand leads to repeating the same wrongs. Imperialism, in my mind, is fundamentally wrong regardless of who perpetrates it. Many people (I'm focusing on American's, but it applies to everyone) are completely ignorant of the true history of their nations, believing them to be fundamentally good when nothing could be further from the truth. Canada is not exempt from such things, ask our Native populations, and I dislike hearing people say that Canada is the greatest country in the world as much as I hate to hear American's say it. However, it is much more pronounced with America because of the scope of their reach and the power and influence of the country and also because of their historical willingness to exercise that power (usually for the benefit of business as opposed to the benefit of people), regardless of the outcomes for others.

I'm sorry if I come off a bit pretentious when I say "Who gives a fuck what other countries think" but honestly no one is going to respect and love America if American citizens don't do it...and yeah Bush has a lot to do with that but hell the Democratic Congress hasn't done us any favors either....they were elected to change things and things are still the same, the war is still going on when they wanted to end it and had an opportunity to do so but didn't act.
    My problem is again with nationalism in general, regardless of the country. Honestly, I think that expecting others to love or even appreciate America as Americans do is unrealistic, especially when that country has negatively impacted their lives, and those of past and future generations.

I appreciate that I essentially won the lottery by being born where I was, and I love the land on which I dwell because it is where I have grown up, but I certainly don't love government of Canada and the elites who control it. I love the land and the people because they are familiar and probably because I have been told I have to since birth, but the fact that it is run by elites (and has been since its inception) bothers me and I in no way extend my love to them. Which isn't to say I wouldn't defend my country if it was attacked, I most certainly would, but I don't have that deep seeded believe that I live in the greatest place on earth or that it has some sort of intrinsic righteousness. The idea of money being the most important thing, which is prevalent in Western society, is abhorrent to me.

All I can say about the war is, if it's going to be done it might as well be done correctly from here on out....if we leave too soon maybe it leads to an immediate trouble with Iran or 2-3 years down the road we have to go back or whatever.....but if the ball does start rolling over there then maybe just maybe we can actually learn something from being there and end up making friends over a long looooong period of time...neither of those are really going to happen more than likely something inbetween will happen.
    I think what is most likely to happen is that Iran will benefit the most from the Iraq war and will gain a great deal of influence over the whole region. Was that really worth American and Iraqi lives? Even if it had gone according to plan, it still wouldn't have been worth it. Change, to be effective, in most cases has to come from within a country.

I can understand your views, I just don't think that trying to make life "fair" really works.
    Anyways, I hope I haven't come across as being harsh towards you or your country, I always appreciate the exchange of ideas and perspectives.
    Last edited by CFH; 06-13-2008 at 01:41 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by CFH View Post
    I think I've used that title before...

One of the biggest news stories here in the last week or so is the controversy over the Hockey Night in Canada theme song. I'll pause a minute and let that sink in. People are up in arms that CBC, a public broadcaster funded with tax money, didn't shell out upwards of 3 million dollars to save the jingle. The song was then sold to TSN/CTV, who will use it on their hockey broadcasts, so it's not as if the song will disappear or be used in another capacity, but people are PISSED that it wasn't kept. It makes my head hurt.

Is England accepting immigrants? I already loathe the French and I swear I'll learn to love soccer football and warm beer.
    50pts for the He-Man avator LOL

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by hitmandonny View Post
    I'm considering going to Canada for a week later this summer.
    I want to go somewhere relaxing.
    What part of the country are you thinking about checking out?
    It's a toss up between South East US or Canada, we'll see financially what the story is.

If I do go I'll be headed to Toronto, trying to rent a Hilux and might pop over to see Youngblood.

El Kabong Guest

Everybody has their own opinions...where I see an achievement oriented system you might see ia system which benefits the rich and where you see a system that helps the poor I may see a system that rewards freeloaders......either way I am sure there are cases where we are both correct.

I can accept that you see things different than myself....I don't have an issue with it as long as we don't just keep bitching about the same thing over and over and over again

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think I've used that title before...

One of the biggest news stories here in the last week or so is the controversy over the Hockey Night in Canada theme song. I'll pause a minute and let that sink in. People are up in arms that CBC, a public broadcaster funded with tax money, didn't shell out upwards of 3 million dollars to save the jingle. The song was then sold to TSN/CTV, who will use it on their hockey broadcasts, so it's not as if the song will disappear or be used in another capacity, but people are PISSED that it wasn't kept. It makes my head hurt.

Is England accepting immigrants? I already loathe the French and I swear I'll learn to love soccer football and warm beer.

well i was kinda sad that they r not going to use it, but if i was cbc
    i would use the music that the icecream trucks plays as a joke! for the opening music
    Hidden Content
    Ani hu sheshokhen betokh Cain
    Ego sum quis habitavit in Nerone
    Mia fora katoikese mesa se Ioudas
    Ich war mit Legion
    Ana Belial
    And I am Lucifer, The devil in the flesh

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Alright so I partied with some Canadian folks at the race in Michigan this weekend. I have to say that they are very very nice (the ones that i have met). They are like harmless domestics. I was drinking candian beer with them and was giving them shit about losing this jingle you all were talking about.

Also they were tell me that they have the greatest coffee shops ever (evidently started by some dead hockey play) and how ours suck.
    "If there's a better chin in the world than Pryor's, it has to be on Mount Rushmore." -Pat Putnam.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by boozeboxer View Post
    Alright so I partied with some Canadian folks at the race in Michigan this weekend. I have to say that they are very very nice (the ones that i have met). They are like harmless domestics. I was drinking candian beer with them and was giving them shit about losing this jingle you all were talking about.

Also they were tell me that they have the greatest coffee shops ever (evidently started by some dead hockey play) and how ours suck.
    That would be Tim Horton's, a Canadian institution. Cheap, shitty coffee and cheap, delicious donuts. They do more business here than MacDonalds.

Thread Information