Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Being the Bosses Beatstick

Since I have been at my new gym, I have turned into the main coaches beat stick. Part of the reason for this I think is that I listen to whatever he says. The other is since I got here (we are a new gym) that barring a few people, I can pretty much walk thru anyone there. It was a bit of a novelty at first, for most of them are in their early 20's, not too great or experienced much, and getting an ass-whooping from the young kid was the in thing to do for a few weeks or month. But now it seems to be getting old. Few want to spar me any more, and when they do it is often reluctantly. I still get my ass kicked on a regular basis by one person, and am close with another, but the rest are a bit easy.

So to the beatstick part. The spars are done with variety, obviously. But at times and usually if I am strapping on with someone who has been not working hard lately, the boss comes to me and says.."Go hard." And I do.

They know what is coming, I know what is coming, everyone knows what is coming and it pisses some off. I love to go hard, but also don't like having people hatin on me because of it. Also I get them trying to take my head off with one shot instead of boxing, so I am not sure if it is really even productive to them.

I'm not trying to come off as all that, it simply is what it is. We don't have a lot of really good people yet as we are new, and if someone is dicking around and not working hard...guess what, we are going in the ring.

My question is, is this the norm?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Being the Bosses Beatstick

Yes and no
    Occaisionally you want to do something like that,if someone is really dogging it.
    But you only do it once,and you dont constantly use the same fighter to do it with.
    You just tattooed a target on that fighters back
    If the first time you do it,it doesnt take,just make them do an exercise they hate,alot. They'll either get the hint,or quit

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Is really only one other person to do it, and I think he likes to humble them using me and the age. The other person is national class and is just too much to do it. He's just too good. He does beat my ass though, and on a regular basis.

It's a mixed emotion thing. I like to go hard, so it is good. I don't like getting hated on, so it sorta sux.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Youngblood View Post
    Is really only one other person to do it, and I think he likes to humble them using me and the age. The other person is national class and is just too much to do it. He's just too good. He does beat my ass though, and on a regular basis.

It's a mixed emotion thing. I like to go hard, so it is good. I don't like getting hated on, so it sorta sux.
    Guess he's gonna train someone else up them
    Hell we had a girl out here from Tazwell,I sicced Feur on her,almost killed the girl.
    But she bucked up and won Rough Andy Rowdy
    But ya gotta try not to use the same attack dog every time,and there are other ways to get your point across

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It depends whether you find it beneficial or not man.
    If you feel, ok he's going hard on me, but I can handle it and I'll improve because of it, then let the punches rain.
    If you feel, this guy is just hurting me, then perhaps you need to review your situation.

Sometimes coaches don't take well to star pupils. I'm far from a star pupil myself, but I always listen and pay attention to what I'm taught so I'm "top of the class" so to speak. This sometimes makes coaches resentful (perhaps out of fear you will exceed their achievements?) Then they want to "put you in your place" in sparring.

So whatever you think bud. Is it helping you?

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by hitmandonny View Post
    If you feel, ok he's going hard on me, but I can handle it and I'll improve because of it, then let the punches rain.
    If you feel, this guy is just hurting me, then perhaps you need to review your situation.

Sometimes coaches don't take well to star pupils. I'm far from a star pupil myself, but I always listen and pay attention to what I'm taught so I'm "top of the class" so to speak. This sometimes makes coaches resentful (perhaps out of fear you will exceed their achievements?) Then they want to "put you in your place" in sparring.

Yea I think it is helping me as a fighter Donny. Plus my trainer knows how frustrated I am with not getting santioned fights so it does help to be able to let it fly every now and again.

It just isn't making me too popular with a few members who tend to be lazy. lol

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Youngblood View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by hitmandonny View Post

Yea I think it is helping me as a fighter Donny. Plus my trainer knows how frustrated I am with not getting santioned fights so it does help to be able to let it fly every now and again.

It just isn't making me too popular with a few members who tend to be lazy. lol
    Blood, who cares about being popular anymore?

I used to get so concerned about people liking me I just stessed myself out. In boxing if you spar me now you get the same controlled pace, hard but not overly so. If you are better than me I'll be the same, if you're not as good I'm not slowing down.
    Screw them.

I can honestly say that when i turn professional I'l work as hard as I possibly can. If I turn into some John Ruiz or Jake LaMoTTa figure and people hate me. Screw Them too/

Thread Information