Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Calzaghe says Jones his last fight

Re: Calzaghe says Jones his last fight
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sonny78
    I find people going on about Joe ducking fights ridiculous.

He has had a pretty safe carrer and only stepped it up at the end Warren could be blamed here as well

Joe is at the end of his career in his recent fights he has taken on the fights people wanted to see, how long can you keep taking on the new hottest contender, he has made no secret that he want to retire soon and in his last few fights he has taken on the dangerous young fighters (lacy and Kessler) and taken out the old guard. (Hopkins and hopefully Roy Jones) not a bad end to a career, but oh no there is a new young gun on the horizon two weight divisions lower who if he doesn't fight he is a "chicken shit turd" who's not worth shit!!

My point is at the end of a fighters career who has has fought as well as Joe has, he has taken risks and achieved more than most, I don't mind if he finishs off that career with a big fight that he wants he shouldnt have to take on every young gun on the scene till he gets beat, he has earned it and has to retire some time

Idiots will always jump on a new bandwagon and say such and such a fighter is washed up because it makes them look more like a hardcore boxing fan but in truth Joe will go down as great British figher and shouldn't be accused of ducking anyone
    i totally understand where you're coming from.. but i'd like to hear your views on PBF haha.. and see if you say the same things about him.. and if you do, then i'd consider your opinion on calzaghe non-biased..

do you think mayweather needs to continue taking on the up and comers (cotto, paul williams, etc..)? He has more meaningful names on his resume then Joe could ever DREAM of, yet he still gets flak for not fighting Cotto (i'm not saying that he shouldn't fight him, just stating what goes on).. So do you think that he needs to continue fighting the new hot prospect, or has he accomplished enough in the sport where he could just retire and not be criticized doing so.. keep in mind that Floyd is not 25, he's 31 or 32, so i don't think the age card is available here..

I posted this on another thread I feel the same about PBF I would love to see Cotto Vs PBF but will never slag him off for not taking it

As for PBF he has now retired and if he hasn't he only has one fight left Cotto and Margarito are the two most exciting fighters at WW at the moment but lots can change in a year what if Margarito beats Cotto to then gets beaten by William's again would you all then be shouting for PBF to come back and fight William's otherwise he is an overrated pussy!!

My point is at the end of a fighters career who has has fought as well as these two have, they have both taken risks and achieved more than most, I don't mind if they finish off that career with a big fight that they want and dont take on every young gun on the scene till they get beat, they have earned it they have to retire some time

Idiots will always jump on a new bandwagon and say such and such a fighter is washed up because it makes them look more like a hardcore boxing fan but in truth both these fighters will go down as greats and shouldn't be accused of ducking anyone

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I can't remember a "big" fight I cared so little about. Maybe its just me. I would have liked to have seen Calzaghe-Pavlik but oh well, at least it appears that we will not see Mayweather-Hatton 2 which I guess makes up for this at least two times over.

This could turn into a lose-lose situation (except of course money wise and its easy to forget that's mainly what these guys care about, not just Joe) for Joe although I guess you could say almost any fight has that potential.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I also can't be hating on Cal for taking the easy way out, but he should look good on beating RJJ because if not IF HE STRUGGLES even if he wins it's going to be a stinkbomb.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by OumaFan View Post
    I can't remember a "big" fight I cared so little about. Maybe its just me. I would have liked to have seen Calzaghe-Pavlik but oh well, at least it appears that we will not see Mayweather-Hatton 2 which I guess makes up for this at least two times over.

This could turn into a lose-lose situation (except of course money wise and its easy to forget that's mainly what these guys care about, not just Joe) for Joe although I guess you could say almost any fight has that potential.
    It's more an old boys exhibition - Jones-Tito, Hopkins-Winky.. even Hopkins-Calzaghe to a point.

The fossils need to fuck off. Fact.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by sonny78 View Post
    Re: Calzaghe says Jones his last fight
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sonny78
    I find people going on about Joe ducking fights ridiculous.

He has had a pretty safe carrer and only stepped it up at the end Warren could be blamed here as well

Joe is at the end of his career in his recent fights he has taken on the fights people wanted to see, how long can you keep taking on the new hottest contender, he has made no secret that he want to retire soon and in his last few fights he has taken on the dangerous young fighters (lacy and Kessler) and taken out the old guard. (Hopkins and hopefully Roy Jones) not a bad end to a career, but oh no there is a new young gun on the horizon two weight divisions lower who if he doesn't fight he is a "chicken shit turd" who's not worth shit!!

My point is at the end of a fighters career who has has fought as well as Joe has, he has taken risks and achieved more than most, I don't mind if he finishs off that career with a big fight that he wants he shouldnt have to take on every young gun on the scene till he gets beat, he has earned it and has to retire some time

Idiots will always jump on a new bandwagon and say such and such a fighter is washed up because it makes them look more like a hardcore boxing fan but in truth Joe will go down as great British figher and shouldn't be accused of ducking anyone
    i totally understand where you're coming from.. but i'd like to hear your views on PBF haha.. and see if you say the same things about him.. and if you do, then i'd consider your opinion on calzaghe non-biased..

do you think mayweather needs to continue taking on the up and comers (cotto, paul williams, etc..)? He has more meaningful names on his resume then Joe could ever DREAM of, yet he still gets flak for not fighting Cotto (i'm not saying that he shouldn't fight him, just stating what goes on).. So do you think that he needs to continue fighting the new hot prospect, or has he accomplished enough in the sport where he could just retire and not be criticized doing so.. keep in mind that Floyd is not 25, he's 31 or 32, so i don't think the age card is available here..
    I posted this on another thread I feel the same about PBF I would love to see Cotto Vs PBF but will never slag him off for not taking it

As for PBF he has now retired and if he hasn't he only has one fight left Cotto and Margarito are the two most exciting fighters at WW at the moment but lots can change in a year what if Margarito beats Cotto to then gets beaten by William's again would you all then be shouting for PBF to come back and fight William's otherwise he is an overrated pussy!!

My point is at the end of a fighters career who has has fought as well as these two have, they have both taken risks and achieved more than most, I don't mind if they finish off that career with a big fight that they want and dont take on every young gun on the scene till they get beat, they have earned it they have to retire some time

Idiots will always jump on a new bandwagon and say such and such a fighter is washed up because it makes them look more like a hardcore boxing fan but in truth both these fighters will go down as greats and shouldn't be accused of ducking anyone
    Oh do give it up,other then Kessler he hasnt taken anybody on
    Lacy wasnt ready,Hopkins is to old,and if he had dropped him one more time,Joe loses that fight too.
    Pavlik has flat out called him out,and he has to come up to do it,and he goes for the corpse that used to be Roy Jones Jr,who he said he had no interest in fighting just this year
    If its not arthritic,injured,in Wales,or inexperienced,Joe doesnt want it

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Fenster View Post

It's more an old boys exhibition - Jones-Tito, Hopkins-Winky.. even Hopkins-Calzaghe to a point.

Now that I think about it Jones-Tito was the last "big" fight I cared so little about.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by the wiz View Post
    Jones Calzaghe's last fight

I hope this isn't the case. I don't mind him taking a payday then fighting Pavlik, but to just fight a washed up Jones then hang them up I have a problem with.
    Wow, Calzaghe wants nothing to do with Pavlik.
    Hidden Content

Welcome to the 21st Century. No Sex, Drug and Rock'n'Roll. All we have nowadays is AIDS, Meth and Crap Music Hidden Content

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Fenster View Post

Now that I think about it Jones-Tito was the last "big" fight I cared so little about.

Once these guys get to the age where they have GENUINE excuses - bad hands, constant weight troubles, in and out of retirement, complete punch resistance failure... what's the point? Unfortunately veterans tours are harder to sell in boxing than Golf... to the hardcore that is.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

All these arguments are too late. Joe had his chance at being an all timer years ago. He chose to stay home and play it safe. Why would we expect any different from him now?

We know Joe was great and still is good, but how good we'll never know since he was so protected. Sorry, his resume looks like Swiss Cheese. His best win was vs. Eubanks. After that his other big wins are tainted one way or another. Hopkins is his second best win, but Hopkins was 43 years old and still put Joe on his butt. Lacey, as it turns out wasn't very good and had fought no one before Joe. Kessler to me is the most over rated fighter around. Kessler has so much to learn as a fighter, so many aspects of his game are amateurish. Kessler has fought no note worthy opponents other than Joe.

Now he's fighting Jones. Jones is 39 and more than washed up. I doubt if Jones can beat Joe. Pavlik is ready for Joe. Joe would still be a slight favorite to beat Kelly, but the power scares Joe apparently. Kelly could bust Joe up.

Joe will go down as one of the All time great British fighters, but he will fade away quickly to American fans. Just not enough quality wins on his resume to be considered an all timer. Its a shame too. I would have rather seen Joe fight all comers and finish his career with 2 or 3 losses these last 10 years rather than finish undefeated with so few quality bouts.

Why would we expect anything different from Joe? This is what he has always done.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by GRBOXINGFAN View Post
    All these arguments are too late. Joe had his chance at being an all timer years ago. He chose to stay home and play it safe. Why would we expect any different from him now?

We know Joe was great and still is good, but how good we'll never know since he was so protected. Sorry, his resume looks like Swiss Cheese. His best win was vs. Eubanks. After that his other big wins are tainted one way or another. Hopkins is his second best win, but Hopkins was 43 years old and still put Joe on his butt. Lacey, as it turns out wasn't very good and had fought no one before Joe. Kessler to me is the most over rated fighter around. Kessler has so much to learn as a fighter, so many aspects of his game are amateurish. Kessler has fought no note worthy opponents other than Joe.

Now he's fighting Jones. Jones is 39 and more than washed up. I doubt if Jones can beat Joe. Pavlik is ready for Joe. Joe would still be a slight favorite to beat Kelly, but the power scares Joe apparently. Kelly could bust Joe up.

Joe will go down as one of the All time great British fighters, but he will fade away quickly to American fans. Just not enough quality wins on his resume to be considered an all timer. Its a shame too. I would have rather seen Joe fight all comers and finish his career with 2 or 3 losses these last 10 years rather than finish undefeated with so few quality bouts.

Why would we expect anything different from Joe? This is what he has always done.
    True, Calzaghe is already an all time great Brit fighter.

But will he really be dismissed by the American fan?

He is regarded very highly by The Ring, right?

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The "hard core" boxing fans in the U.S. will remember him.

I'm unsuited to talking about "casual fans", I don't really know any or the ones that I do are extremely "casual." Literally none of my friends or family watch boxing on any kind of regular basis. The last fight that any of my friends were really excited about was Tyson-Lewis. They have heard of Tyson, ODLH, Roy Jones, and were just beginning to know Floyd's name when he retired. Anyway they have no idea who Joe Calzaghe is and its not just cause he's European.

What is a "casual fan" by the way? Do they watch HBO fights fairly regularly but not know who Ivan Calderon is? I suspect Joe won't be remembered that much but who knows.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

One ridiculous thing about all of this is assuming Calzaghe doesn't want to fight Pavlik there are rumors that Pavlik will instead fight Mayorga. Bloodbath.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Youngblood View Post
    Is Lockett now wearing the same dress that Cintron wore, when he spoke of Margo smashing Cotto? you decide...

Boxing: Lockett backs Calzaghe to beat Pavlik - icWales
    Isn't that the opposite of what Cintron did with Margo? Cintron backed the guy who beat him, Lockett is doing otherwise.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

One ridiculous thing about all of this is assuming Calzaghe doesn't want to fight Pavlik there are rumors that Pavlik will instead fight Mayorga. Bloodbath.
    Pavlik and Arum flat out called Joe out,not hinted they might be interested,said in plain the Queens English,we want Joe

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Trainer Monkey View Post
    Pavlik and Arum flat out called Joe out,not hinted they might be interested,said in plain the Queens English,we want Joe
    I know. I'm not attacking Pavlik, he wanted to make a big fight, and since it didn't happen he'll just have a ridiculously easy stay busy fight. There's really nobody for him to fight, Pavlik-Sturm, LOL, good luck in making that. And obviously Abraham and Miranda are busy.

Thread Information