I know most heavy bags dangle from chains from the ceiling. This seems to be the most common type which I see. What I'm wondering is, does anyone have any experience with the kind that rest on the ground?

The reason is I saw one being sold in a sports shop. You fill the base with water to give it stability so it doesn't fall over and stuff, and it bends when you hit it and stuff. It's not one of those air-inflated things that kids use or that they sell under the Bally line or anything light like that, it looks to be pretty tough. When I was pushing on it in the store and then going back and forth between it and the heavy bags they were selling it seems to be sort of comparable.

I'm thinking of getting that for home use, because when I asked about the heavy bags he said they're really noisy because of how they pull on the rafters you hang them from and if you hit them hard (which I want to) they rattle the whole house. I live in an attached home, and I live with family who this will probably upset, so I want to try and keep noise to a minimum. So I'm basically thinking that if I have something that's resting on the concrete basement floor rather than dangling from the steel rafters that it'd be less noisy.

It also seems like it'd be less of a hassle to set up. I do want to train with heavy bags eventually, but I figure having a variety of different kinds of stuff to hit would be better.

Plus I'm thinking of joining a health club and they have a heavy bag in the aerobics room so I could go use that probably. It'd be good incentive to join and use a gym I think, and it'd be good variation between training alone, and training with other people around.