Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Fans of power punchers the most fickle?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Fans of power punchers the most fickle?

I remember the Lacy hype and pre Calzaghe he was bigger than christ after he is a bum. Miranda just after he took out Eastman he again was the next big thing he then loses and he is hype, Tye Fields another one massive on boxing forums he loses and again just a big bum.

This bandwagon jumping (which i understand) is really good for boxing it gets people that really know nothing about the sport talking.

Supporting a power puncher, everyone is a fan they dont listen to logic or reason yet when they lose you cant find these fans anywhere they dont exsist.

The only trouble is i like power punchers and so do all my friends the only problem is the fans can be rather off putting so you end up being bitter and rooting for the other guy.

Anyone else feel me?

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Fans of power punchers the most fickle?

Something about the idea of Tye Fields having a bandwagon made me laugh

A lot of fans turn on a guy after his first loss, or first big loss. Its just that power punchers tend to get overhyped because of their power. People love the knockouts and forget to critically look at the guy's overall game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by OumaFan View Post
    Something about the idea of Tye Fields having a bandwagon made me laugh

A lot of fans turn on a guy after his first loss, or first big loss. Its just that power punchers tend to get overhyped because of their power. People love the knockouts and forget to critically look at the guy's overall game.

My dad said it was the same with Shavers when he fought Ali, but we all know a fast wiley champion beats a slow powerful plodder.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I can understand people liking to watch guys with power, but for example Valero, take away his power (as in someone that can take his shots) he is not faster of the hands or feet nor does he have the defensive ability to stay out of trouble if his chin fails him. As soon as Valero loses, he will be right there on the overrated list.

Power guys are great to watch, but any fighter without a plan B is in trouble. I think all of the guys you mentioned fall into that category.
    For every story told that divides us, I believe there are a thousand untold that unite us.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Markusdarkus View Post
    Tye Fields another one massive on boxing forums he loses and again just a big bum.
    No one in this solar system ever though Tye Fields ever had a chance. What the hell you talking about?

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yeah I was a bit thrown by that

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If Tye Fields was massive on a forum, it wasn't this one thats for damn sure.....massive turd yes...

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I hate Tye Fields. He cost me in the prediction comp bigtime.

I was certain Monte Barrett would KO the big dummy yet still picked him.. playing safe

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yeah the Tye Fields bit literally made me laugh. I don't know if the Versus network has forums but that must be what you were talking about. Him and Yuri Foreman.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Ya, right coz soon or later they get exposed and when that happens, their fans get disillusioned and there they go.
    Once in awhile, get outside in fresh air, take a deep breath & with a deep sigh, let out all the things that's bottled up inside you & be free, & you'll get a glimpse of nirvana.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Punchers are just more eye catching and will inevitably draw more fans early, many times before he is actually tested, compared to pure boxers who are often unnoticed till they have been tested multiple times and passed with flying colors.

A good example of this is Iron Boy Calderon who IMO should be a top P4P but he is a slick boxer and he is too small... but that is another issue.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Markusdarkus View Post
    I remember the Lacy hype and pre Calzaghe he was bigger than christ after he is a bum. Miranda just after he took out Eastman he again was the next big thing he then loses and he is hype, Tye Fields another one massive on boxing forums he loses and again just a big bum.

This bandwagon jumping (which i understand) is really good for boxing it gets people that really know nothing about the sport talking.

Supporting a power puncher, everyone is a fan they dont listen to logic or reason yet when they lose you cant find these fans anywhere they dont exsist.

The only trouble is i like power punchers and so do all my friends the only problem is the fans can be rather off putting so you end up being bitter and rooting for the other guy.

Anyone else feel me?
    Can I ask for a link to the forum that praised Fields.
    I would LOVE to see it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

FICKLE, not necessarily I am a TUAFAN 4 eva, I know he has some limitations but despite of that the fact that he is a nice guy and has awesomme punching power I will be rooting for him 4 ever.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I personally have always had an affection for the heavier handed guys.

It brings a lot more unpredictableness within the sport and its always fun to watch 2 heavy hitters going at it.

Saying that i was right behind morales and marquez in their battles with barrera and pacquiao!!

I guess its each to their own
    one dangerous horrible bloke

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The 3 most "INVINCIBLE" fighters (IMO) in history all had this quality.

Sonny Liston
    George Foreman
    Mike Tyson

But what happened when they fought great boxers? Liston fought Ali twice and was convincingly beaten both times. But before the first fight no-one gave young Clay a cat in hells chance and people were worried for his life. That fire soon went out and the same could be said for George Foreman again he was bludgeoning people so badly that when Alis time came, again people were worried for his life but again he had a game plan and executed it to perfection and George was never held in the same regard again and ended up retiring for 10 years a bit further down the line.
    Finally Mike Tyson is a slightly different story. I think that most would agree Iron Mike just had an off night against Buster Douglas for one reason or another. But we had to wait until he came out of prison before he fought a REAL quality boxer in Evander Holyfield. Now this reminded me of the Ali fights in that not many people gave Holyfied much of a chance against Tyson ( I was only 12 at the time but went for Holyfield may I add) But again the boxer came out on top with a knockout.
    So from these fights it just goes to show, if you have a good boxer with a good chin they will tend to have the advantage over sheer power punchers and will probably go down in history as better fighters.
    By the way I'm not trying to say that any of them 3 didn't have decent boxing skills (so don't jump down my throat with that one) they just weren't as polished as their respective opponents who were lets face it 2 of the greatest.

Thread Information