Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Coxxyx

A wonderfull piece of your Anatomy where its situated in relation to the feet and headis everything in regards to punching and avoiding one, your thoughts.
    Pain lasts a only a minute, but the memory will last forever....

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Coxxyx

Its your centre of Gravity bottom bit of the spine

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It's all about balance really, and every movement in boxing depends upon it.

You can sort of get an idea of it by leaning two playing cards together. /\
    -The point where the cards meet lies it's center of gravity, push against one card and the whole structure is off balance. This is just like when a boxer leans forward on their front leg, they lose their center of gravity.
    If you hear a voice within you saying that I am not a painter, then by all means paint and that voice will be silenced.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Its where your ears are in relation to the Coxxyx balanced by the big Toes

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Let me break this down.

Your backfoot pushes off of your big toe, and your leading foot's big toe gives you direction while stablizing your body, catching your weight as your center of gravity is moved towards your opponent.

Your ears should be aligned with your coccyx, and so should your rear foot's big toe. If we keep this up then there isn't much that we can't do in, but if our feet is wrong then nothing will be right.
    Last edited by Chris Nagel; 07-16-2008 at 08:31 PM.
    If you hear a voice within you saying that I am not a painter, then by all means paint and that voice will be silenced.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The feet should be the same distance from the Coxxyx. From there we can go anywhere in Balace,and keep good form to execute the next movement without to much effort and every joint will work as it should Biomechanicaly without having to correct itself, you can explode or evade

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap View Post
    A wonderfull piece of your Anatomy where its situated in relation to the feet and headis everything in regards to punching and avoiding one, your thoughts.
    Hi Scrap (and all)

This is my first post on the forum, so let me start by saying I love this place, very informative forum with a lot of interesting discussion. I'm not a boxer, I practice a chinese/s.e.asian martial art, but I hope to start at a boxing gym in the near future (I have the greatest respect for boxing in the world)...

Anyway, I just wanted to chime in that within the context of chinese martial arts, there is a very direct relationship between the coccyx, the perineum, and the head (and the hips). One of the skills we work on is being able to tell when someone does not have the coccyx oriented properly, and then taking advantage of it.

It's really interesting to hear that this focus exists in boxing as well. I've always thought of the coccyx being off as being the reason why it's easy to pull or throw an opponent, but now that you say it, I can see how it could be used for punching as well...

Great stuff!

-Ben

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by benfish View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap View Post
    Hi Scrap (and all)

This is my first post on the forum, so let me start by saying I love this place, very informative forum with a lot of interesting discussion. I'm not a boxer, I practice a chinese/s.e.asian martial art, but I hope to start at a boxing gym in the near future (I have the greatest respect for boxing in the world)...

Anyway, I just wanted to chime in that within the context of chinese martial arts, there is a very direct relationship between the coccyx, the perineum, and the head (and the hips). One of the skills we work on is being able to tell when someone does not have the coccyx oriented properly, and then taking advantage of it.

It's really interesting to hear that this focus exists in boxing as well. I've always thought of the coccyx being off as being the reason why it's easy to pull or throw an opponent, but now that you say it, I can see how it could be used for punching as well...

Great stuff!

-Ben
    Interesting Ben thanks - can you elaborate on some of the signals or clues you might look for to tell whether or not your opponent's coccyx is off?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hi Sharla,

There are a lot of different types of signals to look for. These are the ones most relevant to boxing (the ones you can look for before you close with your opponent)

If your opponent shuffles in or out (or any time they step) watch how they land. If they land "solid" that means their ankle/knee/hip are all open correctly. If you see a very slight rock or wobble onto either the heel or the toe that means they're correcting for a problem (usually the coccyx).

It can be very slight.

Look at their neck for signs of muscular tension (this should be easier with boxers than with overweight martial artists ). If their stance is correct, the chin should be slightly tucked to extend/stretch the spine. This should relax the muscles around the neck. If you see little ropy muscles (like what you'd see if you were clenching your teeth or tugging your head to one side or the other) they're compensating.

Lastly, look to see if they are hunching. If someone hunches they tend to overtuck the coccyx. Not always, especially if you look at sambo and greco roman guys, but otherwise it's you can usuall count on some overtucking.

These are the easiest signs to explain on a messageboard. Most of the training we do to feel the structure is after contact has been made. If the ideas I wrote about up there don't make sense, I can try to explain the heart of the idea from our perspective. I tried finding a good example on youtube to show you, but it's hard to explain without being able to demonstrate...

-Ben

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Welcome benfish to Saddos, and thank you for adding to topics you know and understand.

I haven't as yet jumped in this thread, but have been following, largely because where I am at in my boxing experience, while I do find such things of interest....I feel this type of thought while intriguing and important, when fighting or sparring, I might find myself pondering them...and getting knocked on my ass. lol

So I enjoy adding about that what I know...which is limited, and reading about that which I do not.

Again, welcome.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Heres a little thing you can try Youngblood it will make your ability improve, Boxing stance moving forward throwing a double jab and moving the feet twice as you should. With your 2nd jab left in front of you, from that stance. Now try walking forward moving the front foot first if you cant your Coxxyx head and feet are not where thjey should be, try it

Thread Information