Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Poll: Who wins on the 18th of OCTOBER

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: ESPN says Pavlik - Hopkins for October 18th. who wins

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default ESPN says Pavlik - Hopkins for October 18th. who wins

I think it will probably be a convincing decision for Pavlik but I would not be suprised to see a knockout. Hopkins has the best chin ever for 160 and probably the best active chin with the likes of Andrade and Zurtuche. I would like to see a decision for Hopkins sake to retire on a split loss. But for Pavlik's legacy I would like him to knock him out to let Joe C know what he is facing.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: ESPN says Pavlik - Hopkins for October 18th. who wins

I`ve heard so many names mentioned with Kelly in the last few weeks, I`ll believe it when I see it in ink. I`m not that excited about this fight if it happens though...rather see him fight someone younger.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I hope Pavlik crushes him. I voted for Pavlik by KO, but its probably more wishfull thinking on my part.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Dangerous fight for Pavlik but after some thought a good choice of opponent since he is not choosing to defend at middleweight. Kelly is preparing himself to step up divisions. He'll get a real chance to see if the power follows him as the weight gains and who better to test that than B-Hop, arguably the best chin in the business. If Kelly knocks him out than it will be interesting to see if Calzaghe keeps his word and fights Pavlik.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm a total Pavlik fan, and I've never liked Hopkins' fighting style. Also, I think Pavlik would have an easier time with Hopkins than with Calzaghe.

But Pavlik by KO? Honestly, when has Hopkins ever lost by, or been in danger of losing by KO? This is one of the most veteran, wily, crafty fighters ever to lace up gloves... or at least in these last couple of decades.

I think Pavlik would win an easy decision.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

And in this bout yet another fighter has trouble catching and hitting Hopkins, but puts in the work and clips Hopkins often enough to win on points. Hopkins realises he's actually an old man, and it wasn't just Calzaghe who was too fast for him, and goes home to relax from then on on a lovely pension and the occasional fishing trip on a boat.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Tough fight for Pavlik, here are a few pointers that point to a tough terrible fight:

Size: Hopkins is 6 1" Pavlik 6 2" Hopkins also has a 1" reach on Kelly.

Weight: Hopkins has had 3 fights above 160lbs he schooled Tarver, soundly beat Wright and lost a close fight to Calzaghe. Pavlik fought once at 166lbs won a razor thin dec over Taylor didnt look as powerful at the weight.

Experiance: Pavlik whilst having fought Taylor will not have fought a beast like Hopkins. Pavlik is a combination of Glenn Johnson and Howard Eastman.

Speed: Neither man uses speed although Hopkins has a faster lead right

Power: Goes to Pavlik, not sure if he can hurt Hopkins at 170lbs he doesnt have one punch power but works well to the body and area were Calzaghe had good sucsess.

Footwork: Hopkins all the way, if Calzaghe with his superb footwork was shut down by Hopkins the straight foward Pavlik will be wrapped up like an octopus.

All in all this is a tough fight Pavliks work rate will become a trickle Hopkins WILL shut him down he doesnt bounce in and out.

Pavlik tough pts win but i wouldnt be supprised if Hopkins stole and sneaked it.

I still think the weight might be an issue and the size of Hopkins also makes this a tough fight.

Expect lots of holding, headbutting infact it will look similar to the Calzaghe fight.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I expect Pavlik to win a close SD/UD with Hopkins making him look bad.

Hopkins could win this fight though.

No way does Pavlik stop Hopkins.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I voted Pavlik by Ko, Give the Devil's it due. Hopkins is a All Time Great, But with age and a one punch at a time deficit , Pavlik should take him out around the late mid rounds.
    Hidden Content

Welcome to the 21st Century. No Sex, Drug and Rock'n'Roll. All we have nowadays is AIDS, Meth and Crap Music Hidden Content

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The more I think about this fight, the more I see Kelly taking it to prove a point. I honestly don't think it is a good fight for him, and would rather he fought someone else. And although Kelly Pavlik is a classy guy, like any boxer I think he has his pride. Sure it'll be a paycheck...but so would many other people, but I think the Calzaghe camp may have upset him. And I believe he thinks he can beat Bernard, and soundly.

That would send a message to the Calzaghe camp wouldn't it? Lockett was a message. Even if they didn't accept the message, it was there. Hopkins I think can give Kelly a good fight, and once again we may see a frustrating match for he is wily and smart.

If it happens I think it is more about pride then about wise planning. If it happens I'll root for Kelly, for I like him...he's my guy. But I'll be concerned about Hopkins. He showed up to fight against Joe and nearly won, and he will show up I believe to win once again against Kelly.

But yea...all this talk is making my head spin...let's see some ink!

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by CountryBoy View Post
    I voted Pavlik by Ko, Give the Devil's it due. Hopkins is a All Time Great, But with age and a one punch at a time deficit , Pavlik should take him out around the late mid rounds.
    Again... I'm a huge Pavlik fan, and never been a Hopkins fan. But a KO? That'd be one of the easiest bets in boxing. If Hopkins has avoided getting KO'ed throughout his career, even from much bigger guys, what makes you think that Pavlik's going to do it?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Youngblood View Post
    I`ve heard so many names mentioned with Kelly in the last few weeks, I`ll believe it when I see it in ink. I`m not that excited about this fight if it happens though...rather see him fight someone younger.
    Same here I want proof. Soooo much gossip around and not just concerning who Pavlic is fighting but ODLH, Hatton, Pac Man......I get tired of reading it because you get exited then find out its bollocks so many times that you find it hard to be exited when a fight HAS been made.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post
    Again... I'm a huge Pavlik fan, and never been a Hopkins fan. But a KO? That'd be one of the easiest bets in boxing. If Hopkins has avoided getting KO'ed throughout his career, even from much bigger guys, what makes you think that Pavlik's going to do it?
    Intelligent Pressure
    Hidden Content

Welcome to the 21st Century. No Sex, Drug and Rock'n'Roll. All we have nowadays is AIDS, Meth and Crap Music Hidden Content

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post
    Intelligent Pressure
    Which..... of course, Hopkins has never seen before.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I hope this fight doesnt happen. In my opinion, its a no win for Kelly.

Hopkins has the craftiness, (and dirty-ness) to steal a win here by boring decision and possibly upset Pavlik's momentum.

If Kelly wins, then it was against a washed up B-Hop who recently lost to Joe Calzaghe and Jermain Taylor. The credibility for the win disappears due to Hopkins age and string of losses.

If Kelly loses, and it would most likely be because of a tactically nightmarish borefest points loss, well there goes his 0, there goes his momentum, here come the naysayers and it may be well undeserved.

Much like James Toney, Hopkins is capable of upsetting anyone on a given night, but I daresay its not because he's the better fighter or the guy that deserves to win. These old school fighers are simply saavy enough to get the job done in the end, no matter how ugly.

I would like to see Pavlik go another direction. Abraham most definitely.

Thread Information