Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Sports Nutrition Bible

I'm hopefully going to crack on with this over the next few weeks. Sorry for the delay, i've been away from the board and been really busy with coursework.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Aha you fwockers though i'd forget all about this thread. I've been reeally busy with my coursework.

Ok anyway...protein...

So what is Protein i hear you ask, and why the hell do i need it?

Protein makes up part of the structure of every single cell and tissue in your body. Muscle tissue, organs, tendons, skin, hair, nails. Protein is needed for the growth and formation of new tissue (not kleenex), for tissue repair (not kleenex, i need new material i think), for energy production. It's also required to make up the various enzymes that speed up chemical reactions in the body, as well as being required to make hormones. Protein also plays a part in in maintaining water balance in tissues, transporting nutrients in and out of cells, carrying o2 and regulating blood clotting.

You see, it's not just a powder afterall.

Like i said earlier

'Structure: Proteins are made up of long chains of amino acids; a group of organic compounds that contain carbon, hydrogen, nitrogen and sulphur...(yawn .....)

The chains are formed by single amino acids bonding together as a peptide bond. If two amino acids combine together the result is a dipeptide and if three amino acids combine together the result is a (you guessed it...)tripeptide. Chains of 4-10 amino acids result in a peptide chain and 10-2,000 or more are referred to as polypeptides.

A protein may consist of only one polypeptide chain, or several that are folded together. The order of the amino acids along with the chain determines the nature and action of the protein.

There are between 20 and 25 protein amino acids that have been identified and in combination these can form an infinite number of proteins in the body in just the same way as the 26 letters of the alphabet are able to make up hundreds of thousands of words.'

Basically that's how proteins are made up. This next bit might not help you with your training goals but it's a fun video to watch as it explains how your body manufactures proteins and how it decides what to do with them once they are complete. It's amazing.

Quick explanation...

DNA has the instructions for building every single protein in your body

The DNA is unwound (process is called transcription) to expose the genetic instructions to assemble the specific protein

A machine copies this instruction to form a molecule called messenger RNA (mRNA)

The mRNA pulls the genetic code out of the cell nucleus(where the DNA is) and takes it to a complex called a ribosome.

The process of translation now begins...

Inside the ribosome a molecular assembly line builds a specificly sequenced chain of amino acids. These amino acids are transported from other parts of the cell.

Their sequencial arrangement determines the type of protein manufactured

When the chain is finished it's moved and folded into a protein (the shape it's folded into depends on it's function). After it's folded into a protein it is released to travel to it's required location. It does this with the help of a shuttle.

Anyway...watch the video, it's amazing.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=983lhh...eature=related
    Last edited by ono; 12-23-2008 at 09:45 PM. Reason: added video

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Whoa, this stuff takes me back

Good advice been given here guys.

I'd personally be interested to hear more about polyols - Malitol, sorbitol etc They weren't about when I got my qualification in nutrition. (Or at least they weren't as used as they are today). I know they are an alcohol derivative but interested to know more about these interesting carbs.

Thread Information