the following are some jab techniques i use for variety in attack, try them and please comment.

1, jab and move straight back, the idea is to hit and retreat b4 a counter from the opponent,this i use for feeling out an opponents response to my jab and his reflexes.

2,jab and duck, stepping in slightly jab, and duck this shuffles the deck if you get him motor set on constant retreats and leaves you ready for a downstairs attack.

3,jab and move back 45 degrees to the right a variant on the straight back retreat,probably better if opponent chases you than any straight back movement

4,jab and slight pivot and retreat 45 degrees to the left, once again adds variety

5jab and sidestep right or left, gets you outta the way of any counter and hopefully allows you to read his intent

6feint and retreat at same time,this variation unlike the others moves away with no forward movement to close hopefully he is pissed and now wants to counter with a right sooo bad he will really over-extend to tag you...you just reach out and hurt someone who is seriously off balance.

the above was just some ideas for early round play with an opponent the key lesson is really not getting yourself into a predictable rut of jab and retreat or jab and (insert same tired combo here) the opponent predictions are meant to show utility of these combos enjoy