Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default When undefeated fighters loose for the first time

What fighters out there who were undefeated and dominating started going downhill right after their first loss?
    The first one that comes to mind is Naseem Hamed. The guy seemed incincible. He had KO power in his punches, a sneaky defense, good feet, etc. But after his first loss he went downill even with a journeyman and now he's nowhere to be found.
    Now I think about Cotto. He lost but not on a decision or questionable split descicion but by a brutal TKO. I wonder if he will start going downhill after this or not.
    I guess some fighters loose inspiration, get intimidated, loose concentration, etc. after their first loss after a long time of dominating fights.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: When undefeated fighters loose for the first time

Meldrick Taylor was still good after Chavez, but not quite what he once was, and considered done by late 1992.

Fernando Vargas, likewise for Taylor, was still good after his first loss, but not quite the same after Trinidad. Both Taylor and Vargas took too much punishment in general, and had rather fast declines.

Donald Curry.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

what i think about the situation is when your up and coming you get to pick and choose your fights but when you get to a surtain level you only fight the best and cotto is now to the point where he is only gonna fight the best so now is where we see how good cotto really is he never beat anyone great only good fighters margo isn't a great fighter but i must say he is great at what he does cottos claime to fame was a old mosley and zab who has alot of talent but not much focus

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Meldrick Taylor was still good after Chavez, but not quite what he once was, and considered done by late 1992.
    ThreadStealer,
    I forgot about him, you're right. After Chavez he won a few more fights by decision and then lost to Terri Norris, Crisanto EspaƱa, later on against Chavez and that was it. Downhill.
    what i think about the situation is when your up and coming you get to pick and choose your fights but when you get to a certain level you only fight the best and cotto is now to the point where he is only gonna fight the best so now is where we see how good cotto really is he never beat anyone great only good fighters margo isn't a great fighter but i must say he is great at what he does cottos claime to fame was a old mosley and zab who has alot of talent but not much focus
    Truth32,
    Interesting point because some people would see him beating Alfonso Gomez as one of his greatest accomplishments. I'll say Judah and Mosley have been the biggest names in his resume so far, and still, can we say Judah and Mosley were at their primes? Cotto fights a guy in his prime (Margarito) and look what happened. Even with guys who were not in their primes or that were journeymen would still cut, rock, and expose Cotto.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Chino View Post
    What fighters out there who were undefeated and dominating started going downhill right after their first loss?
    The first one that comes to mind is Naseem Hamed. The guy seemed incincible. He had KO power in his punches, a sneaky defense, good feet, etc. But after his first loss he went downill even with a journeyman and now he's nowhere to be found.
    Now I think about Cotto. He lost but not on a decision or questionable split descicion but by a brutal TKO. I wonder if he will start going downhill after this or not.
    I guess some fighters loose inspiration, get intimidated, loose concentration, etc. after their first loss after a long time of dominating fights.

I don't know about Hamed going downhill, he wimped out and retired before that could happen, he lost one fight and cried all the way back home realising he was not the fighter he thought he was, any rematch with Barrera or a fight with Morales would have proved that. Hamed did not have the bottle to try and find out and that is just simply weak.

El Kabong Guest

Fernando Vargas
    David Reid
    Acelino Freitas
    Gerry Cooney

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Jeff lacy.
    "If there's a better chin in the world than Pryor's, it has to be on Mount Rushmore." -Pat Putnam.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Panchito Bajodo
    "If there's a better chin in the world than Pryor's, it has to be on Mount Rushmore." -Pat Putnam.

El Kabong Guest

Domonick Guinn
    Michael Grant
    Mike Tyson

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I know it was his 2nd loss but after Duran lost to Leonard in fight 2 the aura of invincibility was gone and Duran was never the same fighter again.

10 miles from Manchester, 6 miles from Bolton
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

mke tyson
    jeff lacy

dunt think hatton be smae

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Interesting point because some people would see him beating Alfonso Gomez as one of his greatest accomplishments. I'll say Judah and Mosley have been the biggest names in his resume so far, and still, can we say Judah and Mosley were at their primes? Cotto fights a guy in his prime (Margarito) and look what happened. Even with guys who were not in their primes or that were journeymen would still cut, rock, and expose Cotto.

yea some people would say that but come on didnt gomez beat gatti to get the cotto fight pbf spank him in 2004 and they he was washed up then

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Michael Nunn
    Hidden Content
    Original & Best: The Sugar Man

SigmaMu Guest

Cotto is no where near done, Cotto is going to bounce back.

Teddy said Cotto would not even dare to rematch Margarito, (something I am glad that stupid marble mouth said)

Cotto was outboxing and out hustling Margarito the first half of that fight. He was putting on a clinic. I know Miguel will come back better and stronger, more inspired. Cotto is going to turn into a gym rat for the next 3 years.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hatton potentially

The guy who struggled with Lazcano last time looked a different fighter to the one who walked through Kostya Tszyu .

Thread Information