Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Swollen Knuckles?

Do you have swollen knuckles?
    If you hear a voice within you saying that I am not a painter, then by all means paint and that voice will be silenced.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Using longer hand wraps (180" mexican wraps), I use a ribbon style of wrapping over the knuckles without actually wrapping around the top of my palm which would infact hinder me from making a proper fist. By not using too much wrap around the top of my palm I can then use the extra length for additional support as well as padding over my knuckles. By using a couple small strips of tape to secure the knuckle-padding in place makes it much easier. I then wrap in between my fingers so that no matter what the folds of wraps won't shift while I'm punching. I finish up with more X pattern crosses around the hand, and with some loops around the wrist. I have small wrists so I have to go further down my forearm so that it doesn't become unravelled. This isn't drawn out step by step, so if you need a better idea of how it looks AdamGB has a sticky in the 'Useful/Important Posts' section.

Being able to make a proper fist is important in protecting your hands, and just as important using good punching technique. If everything is right to begin with your body will get used to the act of punching, and you should be able to hit the bag as hard as you are able to without risk of swelling.
    If you hear a voice within you saying that I am not a painter, then by all means paint and that voice will be silenced.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

thanks - good information.

no - i don't have swollen knuckles. but i always wondered why ray leonard did early in his career, and if he wrapped correctly.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I always wrap between the fingers (hope that description makes any sense). A few times around the wrist first, then to the index finger, once over the palm, and then to the middle finger, again over the palm, then to the ring finger, and last the pinky. After that I wrap over the knuckles twice and finish it up around my wrist.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If I wrap around my knuckles they seem to split mine open, so I just tend to wrap around the hand now.
    "There are no ordinary moments"

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Nagel View Post
    Using longer hand wraps (180" mexican wraps), I use a ribbon style of wrapping over the knuckles without actually wrapping around the top of my palm which would infact hinder me from making a proper fist. By not using too much wrap around the top of my palm I can then use the extra length for additional support as well as padding over my knuckles. By using a couple small strips of tape to secure the knuckle-padding in place makes it much easier. I then wrap in between my fingers so that no matter what the folds of wraps won't shift while I'm punching. I finish up with more X pattern crosses around the hand, and with some loops around the wrist. I have small wrists so I have to go further down my forearm so that it doesn't become unravelled. This isn't drawn out step by step, so if you need a better idea of how it looks AdamGB has a sticky in the 'Useful/Important Posts' section.

Being able to make a proper fist is important in protecting your hands, and just as important using good punching technique. If everything is right to begin with your body will get used to the act of punching, and you should be able to hit the bag as hard as you are able to without risk of swelling.
    i tend to wrap the same as that but tape in between my fingers and some tape around were i put the other bits to keep it all on

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

For you's out there with swollen knuckles,bath your knickles in WitchHazle to bring out the bruising!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by yvonne View Post
    For you's out there with swollen knuckles,bath your knickles in WitchHazle to bring out the bruising!
    Good idea. You can also use a little WitchHazle with a cold compress.

Thread Information