Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Barrera coming back!

I started a thread about Morales plans on coming back with a small line about Barrera wanting to do the same.

It seems that Barrera has taken the first step. He split with Golden Boy because they did not pay attention to him as much as the other fighters so now he is signed on with Don King. His first fight with King will most likely take place on November 7 in China. His goal is to take one of the Lightweight belts and become a 4 division champion alike with Morales' former goal.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Barrera coming back!

Barrera signs with King

Sources: Barrera signs five-year promotional deal with King

By Dan Rafael
    ESPN.com
    (Archive)

Updated: August 31, 2008, 12:31 PM ET

* Comment
    * Email
    * Print

Two months after severing ties with Golden Boy Promotions, former three-division world champion Marco Antonio Barrera has a new promoter: Don King.

Marco Antonio Barrera

Barrera

Barrera, one of Mexico's all-time great fighters, signed a five-year promotional agreement last Tuesday night at King's Deerfield Beach, Fla., according to two sources with knowledge of the deal, which has not been announced.

King, who was traveling back to the United States on Sunday from Germany, where he co-promoted Saturday's Nikolai Valuev-John Ruiz heavyweight title rematch, could not be reached for comment.

Barrera (63-6, 42 KOs), who signed with Golden Boy with much fanfare in 2003 and was made a partner in the firm, lost both of his fights last year to Manny Pacquiao and Juan Manuel Marquez. Many thought the losses meant the end of his career and the former junior lightweight, featherweight and junior featherweight world champion retired. But it didn't last. Not long after the loss to Pacquiao, Barrera said he would return. However, he was unhappy with Golden Boy's lack of attention to his career. In mid-July, Golden Boy released Barrera from his contract and they announced an amicable split.

"While I have a great respect for Oscar De La Hoya and Golden Boy Promotions, I have decided that I wanted to take a new path with respect to my boxing career," Barrera said at the time. "I am pleased that we will move forward as friends."

The new path led him to King, who made Barrera his first high-profile signing in quite some time.

When Barrera, 34, will debut under King's banner and against whom, has not been determined, although it is likely to come Nov. 7 in Chengdu, China, where King is promoting a card in conjunction with the annual WBC convention.

Barrera plans to move up to the lightweight division, where he has talked about his desire to win another world title. One of his goals has been to become the first Mexican to win titles in four divisions. He is tied with fierce rival Erik Morales and icon Julio Cesar Chavez with titles in three divisions.

King has opponents he can offer Barrera for an opportunity to achieve his goal next year. King could give him a shot at unified titleholder Nate Campbell if he defeats Joan Guzman in a mandatory defense on Sept. 13. A more likely option would be for King to match Barrera with Japan's Yusuke Kobori (23-2-1, 12 KOs), with whom he is involved. Kobori claimed a belt May 19 when he stopped Jose Alfaro in the third round in Tokyo. Kobori is slated to make a mandatory defense against Namibia's Paulus Moses, another King fighter, this fall, after which the winner would be waiting for Barrera.

This is all great news . Barrera could finish his career with a return against Marquez . After Pac gets knocked out vs Oscar, Barrera gets chance to end his career above all his rivals . Cant wait !!!!!!

Last edited by GAME; 08-31-2008 at 05:46 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Just cause Pac gets knocked out by Oscar doesn't mean he won't go back to lightweight to fight other big fights...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

One can already make a case that Barrera is the best among the great featherweights. But between Pac and Marquez and not having beaten neither of the two would make it hard to prove it. So now it's just debateable.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by caleoh12 View Post
    Just cause Pac gets knocked out by Oscar doesn't mean he won't go back to lightweight to fight other big fights...
    he wont be the force he was though . just ask jones what impact coming down 2 weighst has on you . Plus Manny will be looking for a title holder at lightweight cuz his name will be worth nothing and cant pick his opponents unless he is number 1 .

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by GAME View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by caleoh12 View Post
    he wont be the force he was though . just ask jones what impact coming down 2 weighst has on you . Plus Manny will be looking for a title holder at lightweight cuz his name will be worth nothing and cant pick his opponents unless he is number 1 .
    I agree with that. This is one of the reasons I didn't want Manny to take the fight. Moving up and down weight like that will only mess him up for future fights.

I don't think a loss to Oscar will hurt Manny's ranking or p4p standings. Other than the weight issue.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

This is why Barrera is sooooo Great !!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-1___DmR2U

This is the best youtube vid ive ever seen!
    Last edited by GAME; 08-31-2008 at 07:50 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

i don't think anyone on this forums loves to watch barrera as much as me, but i'm not sure i want to see him fight again as i realy just don't see the fire in him anymore, not since he fucked moarles up in thier final fight.

If he can come into the ring with the hunger he once had he can get into the top 5 p4p again, but i just don't see it sadly.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I love Barrera, he is one of my all time favs, and if he feels that he can still compete at a high level, I say go for it.

However, for the life of me, I can't understand why he would sign a 5 year deal with Don King of all people. Plus, I don't think he has 5 good years left in him, maybe one or two.

The only thing I can think of, is if somehow Marco worked out some sort of partnership/promotership deal with Don. Don is getting up there in age, and maybe Marco's the man to take over when Don is done. Marco is an extremely smart guy, and could do well with the business.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Barrera my sweet.

Don 'everyone who has been promoted by me says I ripped them off & says I'm a crook' King?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hey Missy . Heres to the return of Mexicos greatest

I got neg repped for this post can u believe

These filthy creatures are getting touchy again, but who can blame em . Pacs getting wiped out in December . . .again

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Barrera is done.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Total admiration for the bloke don't really want to see him do it for five years but I'm sure he can still compete at a reasonable level and hope he doesn't get hurt

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Bit of a shame really hes coming back. One of the best fighters of the last 10-15 years.

Especially considering i felt in his last fight with Pac man he pretty much went into survival mode over the last few rounds.

However even if he loses 4 of his next 5 fights he will still be a great

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hey Missy . Heres to the return of Mexicos greatest

I got neg repped for this post can u believe

These filthy creatures are getting touchy again, but who can blame em . Pacs getting wiped out in December . . .again
    I just repped you for the great clips
    love this man he obviously feels he can carry on but would not like to see him get beaten down so a bit sad but i suppose we can wait and see maybe the rest rest has done him good.

Thread Information