Quote Originally Posted by SaddoBoxer View Post
Quote Originally Posted by CutMeMick View Post
Quote Originally Posted by SaddoBoxer View Post

Is that so? But I think Mares can still make the bantam limit and I also read that he's interested in fighting Peñalosa for the title...
He was interested prior to his last bout but I'm not so sure now.
Who knows he might move back down if it all goes well.
Peñalosa opts for undefeated Mexican in title defense

World Boxing Organization bantamweight champion Gerry Penalosa has picked undefeated 22-year-old Mexican Abner Mares over Nestor Rocha for his next title defense.

The Mares showdown is a mandatory title defense. Peñalosa is hoping the fight can be on the Manny Pacquiao-Oscar de La Hoya undercard at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas on December 6.

Penalosa said that his manager, Billy Keane, called him and told him there were two offers on the table from Golden Boy Promotions.

The first offer stipulates that Peñalosa should defend his title against Rocha for a purse of $150,000, possibly on the undercard of the IBF/IBO welterweight title fight between Paul Malignaggi and Britain's Ricky "The Hitman" Hatton at the MGM Grand on November 22..

The second says the WBO champ should face No. 1 ranked Abner Mares (17-0, 10 KOs) also at the MGM Grand but on the megabuck Pacquiao-de la Hoya fight for a much bigger purse of $250,000.

Penalosa, the 36-year-old southpaw with a record of 53-6-2 with 36 knockouts, said his choice was Mares. “I am confident I can beat him.”

Well there you have it, now all we need is for Mares to pull through...