Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default It makes sense to me why Guzman didn't make weight

He was 148 against Soto even though he was in at 128 something. Doing this to your body can make it so that you can't even even get within 10 pounds of that down the road. Obviously he was destroying his too much in order to make 130, and sometimes that makes a guy skip a weight class. Thats why Castillo had a hard time making 140 after fighting his whole career at 135, and thats why Corrales skipped the LWW division, because he couldn't make 140. When Guzman is putting on 18-20 pounds from weigh-in to fight night, that will have its a toll on a fighter even if they don't go through wars in the ring, that doesn't mean their bodies haven't gone through wars in the sauna. If he still turned down the fight, and the chance to lose the weight it tells me something was very wrong with him, and that to do so would be very dangerous.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: It makes sense to me why Guzman didn't make weight

His punk ass should still be suspended.

XaduBoxer Guest

Mississippi Boxing Commission will probably impose a 1 year suspension on Guzman... IMO he deserved it tho it's sad to deprive him to earn a living...

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

No doubt he should be penalised for what happened. If you know you are having trouble making the weight, it should be open and upfront and the fight can be rescheduled or cancelled with due notice. Otherwise you are just screwing around a lot of people and making a mess of things. I could understand if he was even close to the weight but he was closer to junior welterweight than 135. Way off.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by SaddoBoxer View Post
    Mississippi Boxing Commission will probably impose a 1 year suspension on Guzman... IMO he deserved it tho it's sad to deprive him to earn a living...
    He just had an oppurtunity to earn a living Nate should be payed and fight right away ,Guzman fined abit.He was hungry in all the wrong ways

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

nates got a mandatory comin up soon and yes guzman should get suspended along with an old fashioned ass whoopin from nate himself.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Either you guys are idiots, or you have no experience with whole cutting weight scenario. This happens sometimes. You don't think Corrales trained his ass off to make weight against Casamayor for their third fight? You don't think Gary Russell Jr. trained hard to make weight for the olympics? Or Gavin?

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

People often make it seem like loosing a few pounds is nothing.

I always say even if it's 1 weight class fighters are not just loosing let's say the 5 pounds from 135 to 130 or visa versa. The are often loosing 15-20 pounds.

Which is why since ODLH-Pac was talked about I said it was ridicoulous to think ODLH could drop down to 147 without a HUGE sacrafice.
    He's gonna look like a corpse come weigh in day. Then he'll ballon up but the damage has been made by then.

I can only see a bad ending here for ODLH whether in the ring or out of ring either way I see this as a loose loose situation for him.

XaduBoxer Guest

Quote Originally Posted by CutMeMick View Post

I always say even if it's 1 weight class fighters are not just loosing let's say the 5 pounds from 135 to 130 or visa versa. The are often loosing 15-20 pounds.

Which is why since ODLH-Pac was talked about I said it was ridicoulous to think ODLH could drop down to 147 without a HUGE sacrafice.
    He's gonna look like a corpse come weigh in day. Then he'll ballon up but the damage has been made by then.

I can only see a bad ending here for ODLH whether in the ring or out of ring either way I see this as a loose loose situation for him.
    These type of comments will make PAC a genius for pushing and going after a DelaHoya fight at 147 lbs... Right?

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

These type of comments will make PAC a genius for pushing and going after a DelaHoya fight at 147 lbs... Right?
    Uuuummm!!
    ODLH had announced he was fighting at 147 long before ANY opponents were named.
    I don't think the opponent had anything to do with it.
    IF ANYONE had anything to do with ODLH moving down it was Cotto as if he would have won he would have fought him.

So Pac just happened to be at the right place at the right time.

XaduBoxer Guest

Uuuummm!!
    ODLH had announced he was fighting at 147 long before ANY opponents were named.
    I don't think the opponent had anything to do with it.
    IF ANYONE had anything to do with ODLH moving down it was Cotto as if he would have won he would have fought him.

So Pac just happened to be at the right place at the right time.
    And what make you think Oscar will fight Cotto at 147? Oscar will make it sure a fight with Cotto will be at 154 (see Hoya-PBF) and have all the advantages in the world... Oscar will dictate all the conditions and preferably in his favor...

You can just appreciate PAC's tough stand in asking the fight at 147 and 40% share of the purse...

Do you think Oscar will fight Margarito at 147? 154? 160?

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Taeth View Post
    Either you guys are idiots, or you have no experience with whole cutting weight scenario. This happens sometimes. You don't think Corrales trained his ass off to make weight against Casamayor for their third fight? You don't think Gary Russell Jr. trained hard to make weight for the olympics? Or Gavin?
    Corrales himself said it wasn't his best training camp

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He was 148 against Soto even though he was in at 128 something. Doing this to your body can make it so that you can't even even get within 10 pounds of that down the road.
    Which is why I've been saying for a while that there should be a limit on the amount of weight you're allowed to gain in the time after the weigh-in.

If it's an 130 pound fight, you shouldn't be allowed to rehydrate over 140. If it's a 135 pound fight, you shouldn't be able to enter the ring above 147, etc.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hey easy mate on branding guys out here.. You have a point there regarding cutting weight.. But in Guzmans case, he isn't a natural 135 fighter remember.. Corrales is a tall beast for a 135 frame so the difference there already is obvious. Guzman never fought at 135 before and he easily make 130 a year ago. The issue here is why he didn't make it at 135.. He has about 3 months since they agree to fight. Remember guys they are professionals and knows the consequence of over and under trained. Since the Castillo debacle, they are already implementing a mandatory monitoring to avoid such thing to ever happen again. Guzman should know that better isn't. WHAT IT DOESN'T MAKES SENSE TO ME IS what are his team doing during his training camp? Their job is to monitor his weight and condition.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Same day weigh-ins would solve this problem.
    For every story told that divides us, I believe there are a thousand untold that unite us.

Thread Information