Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Sleeping Problems.

Try heath ledger, heard he might have a few tips for you.

10 miles from Manchester, 6 miles from Bolton
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Booze always does it for me or get someone to twat you round the head with a baseball bat
    Hidden Content

If it's yellow, let it mellow... If it's brown, invite me 'round...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by CFH View Post

I know EXACTLY what you're talking about there, I have bad anxiety problems myself. I've been told one of the keys to getting better sleep is to try not to think or talk about the problem as well.

not to change the subject of the thread, but i just wanted to say that anxiety is seriously the hardest thing i've had to deal with in my life.. i'd rather be sick in bed with mono everyday, because it's something viral/bacterial that you can identify and take medicine to eventually make things better.. but anxiety is always around, and sedatives only go so far.. I never understood how people could kill themselves, but after experiencing what i have, i can completely understand where people are bipolar, or suffer from any depression, that it can all add up and seem like there is no escape..

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by RP33 View Post

I know EXACTLY what you're talking about there, I have bad anxiety problems myself. I've been told one of the keys to getting better sleep is to try not to think or talk about the problem as well.

not to change the subject of the thread, but i just wanted to say that anxiety is seriously the hardest thing i've had to deal with in my life.. i'd rather be sick in bed with mono everyday, because it's something viral/bacterial that you can identify and take medicine to eventually make things better.. but anxiety is always around, and sedatives only go so far.. I never understood how people could kill themselves, but after experiencing what i have, i can completely understand where people are bipolar, or suffer from any depression, that it can all add up and seem like there is no escape..
    I know what you mean. Medically speaking, Anxiety is the worst thing I've had to deal with as well.

Like you say, if you're sick it usually goes away and at least your mind functions in a relatively normal fashion. When I was younger, I was moderately depressed, to the point where I at times thought about suicide, but this is worse.

For me it feels kind of like being trapped in your mind/thoughts, and all amout of reason usually doesn't amount to much because it doesn't change how you feel, which perpetuates more anxious thoughts etc. I'm not doing a very good job of putting it into words, but it's a very frusterating/depressing thing to say the least.

I'm at the point where I'm contemplating going on anti-depressants because they're supposed to be quite helpful in some cases, but I don't want to so I'm putting it off as a last resort.

The fact the people who haven't experienced it just don't understand it makes it that much worse.
    Last edited by CFH; 09-27-2008 at 04:04 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ICB View Post
    For awhile i've been having trouble sleeping, always got stuff running around in my mind. And i can't seem to get tired or etc, does anyone have any tips on how to get better nights sleep ? thanks.

I have had a nightmare on this problem for ages now,mainly due to the fact that me next door neighbours are fucking chevs and dont fucking work and fucking play bloody rave bloody music all morning and night..........!I found out that the best natural supplement is a tablet called "Valerian Root"which you can buy over the counter in "Holland and barretts"stores.There 100% natural so there's no shit chemicals involved!Try them mate!!

There the best natural help you can get to help you get some propper kip!!!
    Last edited by yvonne; 09-28-2008 at 07:33 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

WOW! I got to this post WAY TOO LATE!!

This is actually something I studied in college. I majored in Health Sciences so hopefully I could help anyone out and it seems people could use the info.

Here we go:

-If you must drink coffee, make sure you drink it in the morning to early afternoon. Caffeine can stay in your system for up to 8 hours.

-Do not use alcohol as a sleep aid. Sometimes sleep induced by alcohol can cause one to wake up in the middle of their sleep or even worse, cause uncouncious disturbances which will make you feel tired when you wake up.

-Keep a regular exercise schedule in the morning. It helps regulate one's internal clock to naturally fall asleep at night.

-Keep your bedroom quiet, dark, and comfortable.

-Hunger also disrupts falling asleep, but do not fall asleep full, that's just not good for health.

-Make sure you only use your bed for "love making" and sleeping. Your body get conditioned to the purpose of your bed. If you watch a lot of TV, play video games, use your laptop, etc. on your bed, it actually disrupts the process of falling asleep properly.

-Here are things you can consume or somewhat intake to aid the sleeping process: tuna, halibut, pumpkin, artichokes, avocados, almonds, eggs, bok choy, peaches, walnuts, apricots, oats, asparagus, potatoes, buckwheat, and bananas. Also, camomile tea and honey induce sleep. The scent of lavender also aids in sleep deprivation.

There you go. Good night everyone!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

melatonin is god

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

i always find when im physically tired i sleep a lot better try that if not go to your doctor

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm at the point where I'm contemplating going on anti-depressants because they're supposed to be quite helpful in some cases, but I don't want to so I'm putting it off as a last resort.

The fact the people who haven't experienced it just don't understand it makes it that much worse.
    i'd definitely leave anti-depressants as a last resort.. you have to remember that a mood stabilizer works both ways.. meaning you won't get a really low depressed feeling, but you also prevent yourself from being really happy..

every day is a battle, as i'm sure you've realized.. i am at the lowest of lows right now in my life, personally, and i'm trying to keep my head up, but i feel guilty and greedy to tell myself that "things will get better".. who am i to predict such a bold course of events?

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by RP33 View Post

i'd definitely leave anti-depressants as a last resort.. you have to remember that a mood stabilizer works both ways.. meaning you won't get a really low depressed feeling, but you also prevent yourself from being really happy..

every day is a battle, as i'm sure you've realized.. i am at the lowest of lows right now in my life, personally, and i'm trying to keep my head up, but i feel guilty and greedy to tell myself that "things will get better".. who am i to predict such a bold course of events?
    That's how I feel, but honestly I couldn't even tell you the last time I felt really happy. This is also one of the lowest points of my life as well, I'm hoping it can be at least somewhat mitigated via therapy and other methods.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Clubber View Post
    Remember to avoid coffee, tea, or anything with a lot of sugar or caffeine several hours before going to bed.
    Does not work on all people, Clubber. Coffee has no affect on me. Drink a cup before going to bed most nights and sometimes can be asleep before my head hits the pillow.
    Hidden Content Boot Hill, Where the Real Fights Are Fought.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ICB View Post
    For awhile i've been having trouble sleeping, always got stuff running around in my mind. And i can't seem to get tired or etc, does anyone have any tips on how to get better nights sleep ? thanks.
    Sounds like your stressed out. If you always got things running around your mind than your worrying to much. You need to find a way to clear your mind and relax
    The wicked shall die by there own wickedness.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm with you with this problem.. There are all sorts of things that can help...

* One thing i've been doing though for a long time which helps a little in addition to other stuff is doing this trick of picturing colors.. It's a mind thing that relaxes your mind right down..

Here is how to do it... First i'll write the colors in order..

Yellow
    Orange
    Red
    Green
    Blue
    Purple
    Black

What you do when your laying down with your eyes closed, picture the color yellow and thinking of all things that are yellow. Like banana's etc. Play with them, touch them. You can even go as far as picturing yourself in a completely yellow room with yellow furniture and yellow simpsons characters...
    The basis of this color technique is colors have different effect on your energy/resonance levels/body frequency.. Yellow is a very hyper color generally when you lay down for bed, you start with yellow and it is about the same energy that your mind is at.
    So for about 1 or 2 minutes you will just picture everything is yellow. The next thing you will do is picture everything in the same way, but orange... I like to transition between each color by pretending i'm walking through a big yellow sheet and as it goes over my head and falls behind, i'm in "orange" world..
    Anyway, you do this for 1 or 2 minutes with each colour all the way down to purple and then black...
    As you go down each level, you'll find your mind and body start to slow down and relax. With each different colour, your breath will get deeper and deeper and slower. You'll notice this if you get down to say, green, and then picture yellow again, it makes you breath faster and more shallow and it feels uncomfortable..
    By the time you get to purple if you've really absorbed yourself in the colours right through, you're mind is pretty slow, and at black, you kind of just following behind your thoughts as the flick past one by one, but you are very much detached from them now and they don't tend to keep you awake/tense/anxious... For some of the colours like green I like to picture really green soft grass like on a wet golf course and you can feel it between your toes etc.. For blue you can be swimming in a really deep blue tropic ocean etc.. YOu get the picture.. Or you can be lazy and just simply picture the colour through your whole vision and not objects.. It's not quite as fun though..

You can vary it by spending 5 minutes or more on each colour, or now i've gotten good at it, i'm able to spend only 10 or 15 seconds on each, and literelly I can drop my heart rate and breath from very fast to very slow just in about 1 to 2 minutes very effectively and am almost ready to settle into sleep while my girlfriend lazying next to me is still buzzing...

* Another thing that really helps in addition to this, or seperate, is to take very very long slow deep breaths.. When you first go to bed, you'll find your breathing fast and shallow. So taking a big slow deep breath in and just holding it, it feels uncomfortable and you want to take a couple of quick breaths straight after it to like, catch up.... But that's okay. Just take another really long deep breath in taking as much time as you can, then hold it in as long as you can, and then release.....
    The purpose of doing this is to slow your heart rate down mainly. You're heart is usually going fast when you're mind is racing and you are trying to relax. But after about 5 or 6 of these long deep breaths which should take you probably nearly 2 minutes just for the 5 or 6 breaths, your heart should probably almost slowed to half what it was doing originally...

* My final piece of advice is that there is a pressure point just near your eye that if you press into while your laying down, it actually "grounds" and nutralizes a lot of your thoughts and can cause a very deep relaxation just on it's own....
    How to find this pressure point is to place the tip of your index finger on the side of your nose right next to your tear duct. Then move it up slightly towards the start of you're eyebrow, then back in towards your eye socket. You'll need to have your eyes closed to press in there. It's kind of just above your tear duct in the dip between your nose bone and your eye ball... Have your eye closed and just press around that area until your finger finds a comfortable spot to rest..... While your laying down, your finger will press on the eye facing the pillow, so the weight of your head kind of provides the pressure....
    I should post a picture with the exact are circled, but you should be able to get it and it seems subtle, but it makes a big difference. You can breath easier and you're thoughts kind of 'pack a lot less punch' i suppose is a way to describe it...

I have about 10 times less trouble sleeping these days doing this stuff than I used to before when my mind would run the show and i'd have no chance...

Good luck!

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    Sleep or lack of sleep is a habit. Sex can either knock you out or sometimes the cemical release can amp you up,50/50 about that.
    Study what you are thinking about and stop getting caught up in what it is you are thinking about.When you feel emotion about the thoughts they have the invitation to go to the next level instantly so they automatically become like a movie or a story and your emotion and ego feeds off the thought process so you dont sleep.
    If you let your thoughts run away with you your emotions run away with the thoughts and your thoughts have all the control.
    If you watch what you think and just observe them as thoughts and say to yourself "Oh how interesting that I am thinking that and then leave it alone; You are then seperate from that thought and at that exact point have control over it.
    At worse if you cant do that try repeating the same sentence over and over until you are so bored you just nod off.
    Saying a mantra is more benifital and induces a more peaceful sleep.
    Try reading a story too that usually works eventually.

funny thing, a mate of mine gets up and has a coffee and it makes him sleep Its a bit like snake posion used to treat snake bite.
    I would usually put a blank thought in my mind and let it stop wandering. Sometimes, I think of happy thoughts and make myself dream about it. If the emotion is too strong to control, a bottle of wine will help me sleep.

I usually can't sleep after memorizing a book, playing chess and when I have a problem.

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think the worse thing is going through the next day in your mind all the stuff you have to do and the order that you have go about it to be able to get it all done,keeps me awake.
    I have to consiusly retake control of the thoughts cause they just run away with all these different senarios that end up shitn me with no real answer. I find another way is to list and write down the dudes I have to ring or the crap i have to collect and in which order etc is one way of getting it out of my head too.
    Hidden Content " border="0" />

I can explain it.
    But I cant understand it for you.

Thread Information