Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Safest Ways To Cut Weight

We've discussed already quick ways to lose weight in another thread, and generally can agree it is not a healthy practice. Not only for what it can do to a body as far as drain, but also some of the serious long term complications of it.

So basically what my inquiry is, what do you think is a healthy way to lose weight for an upcoming match. Nothing extreme. No saunas or dehydrating. Say for example, for a 1 or 2 or 3 week timespan. Say to lose about 3 to 5 pounds. Is it realistic to be able to do it in a healthy manner successfully?

I have some ideas, but admit I don't really know. I'm thinking making sure to be careful of salt intake, as in limiting it? Also jogging more as opposed to sprinting for cardio? Trying to break meals down to smaller portions but more often daily?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Safest Ways To Cut Weight

Someone wise recently told me about the properties of apple cider vinegar - among other benefits a small amount regularly is supposed to help.

Thought I'd mention it here since it was a big suprise to me!

Reducing excess but not all salt would help too i'd imagine - depending on how much you consume already. Would reduce fluid retention i think.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Youngblood View Post
    We've discussed already quick ways to lose weight in another thread, and generally can agree it is not a healthy practice. Not only for what it can do to a body as far as drain, but also some of the serious long term complications of it.

So basically what my inquiry is, what do you think is a healthy way to lose weight for an upcoming match. Nothing extreme. No saunas or dehydrating. Say for example, for a 1 or 2 or 3 week timespan. Say to lose about 3 to 5 pounds. Is it realistic to be able to do it in a healthy manner successfully?

I have some ideas, but admit I don't really know. I'm thinking making sure to be careful of salt intake, as in limiting it? Also jogging more as opposed to sprinting for cardio? Trying to break meals down to smaller portions but more often daily?
    A way to lose weight very quick is to have a doctor take off an arm or a leg.

Of course you might strugle as a boxer then.LOL
    Balls

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

That's interesting Sharla...going to look into it.

Yours is interesting too porkypara! But I'm afraid I'm going to have to file that one under "serious long term complication".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Sharla View Post
    Someone wise recently told me about the properties of apple cider vinegar - among other benefits a small amount regularly is supposed to help.

Reducing excess but not all salt would help too i'd imagine - depending on how much you consume already. Would reduce fluid retention i think.
    The apple cider vinegar thing really does work. It's good for all sorts of things, balancing pH in the system, skin rashes, controlling yeast in your body. Appetite suppression just happens to be a beneficial side effect.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by sourpuss View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharla View Post

The apple cider vinegar thing really does work. It's good for all sorts of things, balancing pH in the system, skin rashes, controlling yeast in your body. Appetite suppression just happens to be a beneficial side effect.
    Okay well I am getting sold on this deal, and have sent Sharla a PM, but no idea when she'll be back. So my question is...how much and how often?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Vegetarian meals intersped will help A LOT
    Putting in some Falafel or such, makes you feel plenty full,but its not putting on weight
    Last edited by Trainer Monkey; 10-11-2008 at 09:17 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Try a couple of tablespoons with a few ounces of water twice a day. Usually after breakfast and after lunch. It tastes awful! So hold your breath!

Here's kind of what I do when I need to lose weight for a tournament.

1. Try to never get more than 5-7 pounds over your competition weight to begin with.

2. Start way in advance so you don't have to crash diet.

3. Begin by cutting calories where you can. No soda's or treats. Cut back on salt and sugar.

4. A couple of weeks before tournament time cut back on breads and rice, but don't do some high protein fad diet thing. Just replace those carbs with oatmeal and fruits and veggies. (except bananas, save those for after the tournament)

5. Be a little more active. If you usually train 5 days a week. Up that to 6 days a week when you start. Then as time gets closer, it helps me to do a little something in the morning and then do my regular workout in the evenings. If I have boxing training from 7-9pm, I'll do a 2-3 mile run in the morning.

6. Try not to eat after 7 at night. A light snack after working out but that's it. Light dinners, early in the evening or late afternoon are best.

That's what works for me, I'm usually able to lose .5-1 pound a day doing that without sacrificing any energy.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

thanks sourpuss, great stuff.

Yea some of that is what I basically am trying to do, and to do it in a healthy manner, and of a slower process this time. Whereas my last fight, I had to drop from 160 to get to 154, and in too much of a hurry.

As of this morning I weighed in at 156, and am trying to graduallly and comfortably get there, or 153 even, to ensure no last minute silliness.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Once you get your weight down and maintain it for a bit, it will get easier. I walk around 3 pounds lighter than I competed two years ago. All it took was a few adjustments to my workouts and a few dietary changes. But you're also growing, so be aware of that. There is going to come a point in time when you'll just have to move up.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Youngblood, also what ACV does is break down Body Fat. Another Tip two Days a week Just eat Fruit.
    Pain lasts a only a minute, but the memory will last forever....

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Oh, Like on a Ttuesday and a Saturday

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

As of today - woke up this morning at 155.5 lb, after breakfast. Been following tips, eating well but small portions, watching salt intake. Tonight before last meal, weighed 154.5...and then had another small but carb. rich diet and then a good run. 500 ml bottle of water after and feeling very good, and meeting goals.

What a difference it is having proper time to prepare. Thanks for the tips all, some really great stuff here and in PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

web md says that apple cider vinegar won't do much of anything andexcept maybe help with blood pressure and or cholesterol. another sigth said pretty much the same, the claim of vinegar dissolving acid crystals in joints so they can be washed away preventing arthritis is also debunked. so any real data woul dbe appreciated, as a caveat vinegar has been know to erode tooth enamel and irritate (possibly burn) the esophagus or throat. in all fairness this is probably due to high exposure and may come from the if a little helps, then a lot must be better mindset. so lets see what we can find...

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Take ACV in Tablets much better way of doing it. Any good Chemist or Herbalist stock them.

Thread Information