Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Who beats Chad Dawson?

Barring him facing Glen Johnson again, who beats him? I think Glen would be a stupid fight for him to take because of the lack of marketability, and the fact Glen Johnson style wise is the worst fight for him out there, a guy who can walk through anything and has very sharp accurate punches is hard for anyone. I think he has speed that the LHW division hasn't seen since Roy Jones Jr left for the heavyweight division. I don't think he throws combinations like Roy, but they are still very solid combinations, and he does have good defense. I wish he moved better, but he is one of the best outside body punchers I have every seen because like Pacquaio and Roy JOnes Jr he has the speed to get to the body without being countered.

I also think there are a lot of people who will be asking, why do you say his hands are fast? They don't look that fast, but trust me he does have incredible speed on those punches, especially the left hand. He doesn't throw his jab super quick, but its mainly used to set up his left cross or right hook/uppercut.

ICB Guest

Default Re: Who beats Chad Dawson?

Quote Originally Posted by Taeth View Post
    Barring him facing Glen Johnson again, who beats him? I think Glen would be a stupid fight for him to take because of the lack of marketability, and the fact Glen Johnson style wise is the worst fight for him out there, a guy who can walk through anything and has very sharp accurate punches is hard for anyone. I think he has speed that the LHW division hasn't seen since Roy Jones Jr left for the heavyweight division. I don't think he throws combinations like Roy, but they are still very solid combinations, and he does have good defense. I wish he moved better, but he is one of the best outside body punchers I have every seen because like Pacquaio and Roy JOnes Jr he has the speed to get to the body without being countered.

I also think there are a lot of people who will be asking, why do you say his hands are fast? They don't look that fast, but trust me he does have incredible speed on those punches, especially the left hand. He doesn't throw his jab super quick, but its mainly used to set up his left cross or right hook/uppercut.
    In all honesty i can't see anyone beating him at LHW, RJJ, BH, JC, KP, i think they all lose IMO. And i think he would beat Glen Johnson more convincing in a rematch. I think Chad Dawson will reign along time at LHW.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yeah, I didn't expect what he did to Tarver, I know Tarver wasn't punching with any power, but I think in part that was because Chad didn't let him get off, and he racked that body. I honestly think he is one of the top 5 fighters right now when it comes to body work.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

i think when kelly finishes his business at MW he might fight chad which will be a great fight for both. and i dont care who wins both are my favorite fighter at the moment

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He has the skills to beat anyone from 160 to 175 but he's also one punch away from getting hurt and possibly stopped. But to his credit he recovers very quickly. I think he'll reign as champ for a long time.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

My boy BCDs the truefff...
    Suddenly now people are starting to believe.
    But when I said he'd reign supreme people always told me his suspect chin wouldn't hold up vs. the top guys. Yet here we are 3 yrs. later and 2 belts later and he's argueably the #2 LHW in the world.
    Man it feels good to type that...

A Calzaghe fight would be ideal IMO... I would def. favor BCD.

I think BCD beats RJJ similarly to how he beat Tarver except I think RJJ wins more then 2 rounds.

I think his toughest fight and one I think he has the highest risk of loosing would be vs. Pavlik.

Here's why, I still see BCD as young kid who's quickly made it to the top.
    He's only 26 and he's already fought Adamek, Glen & Tarver. Yes he's won. Yes he's undefeated but in those wins he's showed time and time again 2 things that really stick out to me.

1. Rookie mistakes - By this I mean he tends to give rounds away by staying on the ropes and goes on the defensive sometimes he'll throw 3-5 punches in these rounds. He did it vs. Harding, vs. Adamek, vs. Glen and vs. Tarver. Someone like Pavlik who does his best work when he has his opponents against the ropes will put him down and out for the count. Going to the ropes would be a big mistake vs. Pavlik and also giving rounds away.

2. Lack of focus - The kids shown tremendous talent but he loses focus. If you look up any of my posts in regards to BCD you'll see me mention this. Mustafas done a terrific job thus far keeping him focused but he's known to loose it. Why I'm still not sure, could it be that he just feels like he's wining the fight with ease that he can let off and cruise by? Maybe.
    Mustafa himself was known for loosing focus so maybe he knows how to keep him focused.

and Hopkins honestly I like the guy. His legacy is set in stone, I just don't care much for his fights now' a days.
    Ever since the JT fights and the Winky fight he lost me...
    Plus the last thing BCD needs to be doing is fighting Hopkins cause even when you win you still don't look good.

For those who haven't visited my blog and missed this here's my BCD signed poster when he was 16-0.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

What about Kessler?
    "If there's a better chin in the world than Pryor's, it has to be on Mount Rushmore." -Pat Putnam.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by boozeboxer View Post
    What about Kessler?
    Damn! booze you hit me where it hurts..
    2 of my fav. current boxers...

I'd probably flip a coin.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by CutMeMick View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by boozeboxer View Post
    What about Kessler?
    Damn! booze you hit me where it hurts..
    2 of my fav. current boxers...

I'd probably flip a coin.

Yeah I don't know. It would be interesting. Kessler is really strong. I don't think the Calzaghe fight did him justice honestly......I would like to see him in another top tier fight to really gauge him.
    "If there's a better chin in the world than Pryor's, it has to be on Mount Rushmore." -Pat Putnam.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Dawson can get lazy in there, which could be his undoing, but I would personally favor him against any fighter between 160-175 right now.

His laying against the ropes would be very dangerous against someone like Pavlik, but I think he would keep on his bicycle against Pavlik.

I want to see him against another aggressive fighter to really see where he stands though. Johnson did make him look very vulnerable.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think both kessler and pavlik are fights that could/will happen and both would give him serious serious trouble. Real tough fights, he struggled with johnson who is nothing more than a journey man. I'll give him leway on the fact that maybe he let his game dip because he was fighting a journeyman.

He done superb against Tarver. nothing really wrong, but when you are fighting a guy who just stood there and covered up every fucking punch you throw it is EASY to look good! Yes you have to give a lot of credit to Dawson for forcing Tarver on the back foot and out working him. But after a few rounds it was clear that every single punch Chad threw Tarver was going to try and block it and nothing more. No counters, no trying to slip anythign and make him miss. Simple hands up take half the punches then move. Fucking useless.

With all this said and done tho, this wasn't as impressive or as good as the beat down Hopkins give Tarver either. I think people are forgeting that and are getting to carried away like usual when someone puts on a good show.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

A Johnson rematch would be Dawson's toughest fight out there at the moment IMO & although I think Glen deserves it I don't see it happening!

Hey Mick I know it may be a bit soon but but I'd like to know your thoughts on a potential Dawson/ Cloud fight? Because I think Cloud is a huge talent & may have the tools to give Chad problems!
    The Best There Is, The Best There Was, The Best There Ever Will Be

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

After watching the fight this weekend, I'm starting to believe that Dawson's "weak defense" has been more about lack of focus. He showed great defense against Tarver. All in all, Tarver fought a pretty good fight, and Dawson manages to avoid getting hit by any big. Dawson did miss a lot, but enough got through, especially the bodywork. He's the only guy that can match Calzaghe for handspeed at that size and his punches have more mustard on them at this point.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Two fighters I think could beat Chad: Diaconu and Erdei. I think Diaconu would be a tough fight for BCD. Diaconu punches like a beast and I still think BCD's weakness is his chin. If Diaconu popped Chad, it would be over fast - but, would he even get the chance if Chad was throwing punches a mile-per-minute? Maybe not. Erdei possesses enough speed, boxing know-how, and experience to beat Chad, but Erdei wouldn't leave Germany for $100 million and a lifetime giftcard at Spearmint Rhino.

Calzaghe won't fight Chad. The only fight he'd potentially take after RJJ is Pavlik because of the coin involved.

Hopkins is retiring after the Pavlik fight. In my opinion, even if he wins.

If RJJ beats Calzaghe, he would fight Chad. Chad would ride on RJJ.

Kessler will be content to stay at supermiddleweights.

ICB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Preme View Post
    I think both kessler and pavlik are fights that could/will happen and both would give him serious serious trouble. Real tough fights, he struggled with johnson who is nothing more than a journey man. I'll give him leway on the fact that maybe he let his game dip because he was fighting a journeyman.

He done superb against Tarver. nothing really wrong, but when you are fighting a guy who just stood there and covered up every fucking punch you throw it is EASY to look good! Yes you have to give a lot of credit to Dawson for forcing Tarver on the back foot and out working him. But after a few rounds it was clear that every single punch Chad threw Tarver was going to try and block it and nothing more. No counters, no trying to slip anythign and make him miss. Simple hands up take half the punches then move. Fucking useless.

With all this said and done tho, this wasn't as impressive or as good as the beat down Hopkins give Tarver either. I think people are forgeting that and are getting to carried away like usual when someone puts on a good show.
    I think its disrespectful to Glen Johnson to call him a journeyman, he has only ever really been beat convincingly by Antonio Tarver in there 2nd fight. And Bernard Hopkins, every other fight he had is debatable. I think just he has been unlucky with the judges, his record should look luck much better than it really is.

Thread Information