Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Any of you give Hopkins a chance of pulling out another Tarver fight.

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Any of you give Hopkins a chance of pulling out another Tarver fight.

Calzaghe only just beat him and i thought Bernard edged it as the champ so its more than just beating a name if Pavlik wins.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Any of you give Hopkins a chance of pulling out another Tarver fight.

Quote Originally Posted by WelshDevilRob View Post
    Pavliks fighting an oldman so should win. Kelly is a top fighter but this fight does nothing - its just beating a name.
    I don't believe that. I mean of the 3 losses in his last 5 none were a case of just beating a name.

2 were by split decision and all of them are debatable losses in the eyes of some.

I thought he lost all 3 personally but you certainly can't say he's an easy test for anyone, much less a young champ like Pavlik who has only fought one world class opponent in his career thus far in Jermain Taylor.

It's a risky fight for Kelly.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Taeth View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by amat View Post
    I do think Pavlik is going to be frustrated a lot more then most think. I think the key for Hopkins is going to be how he reacts to the jab. Whether he can block it, whether he can time it over the top with the right like Taylor and Miranda had success doing. That's important because Kelly's entire offense is off the jab, it's what he uses to space his right hand, it's his range finder, it's also a very hard jab and against Taylor the second time around he was missing the first jab and then starting over. Have to keep the pressure on with the jab if not then Hopkins will be able to slow down Pavlik enough to take some rounds and make it interesting. Surely Hopkins has seen this and more, he's going to come with a gameplan as he always does and it is entirely possible that he pulls off another upset at least makes it close.

This is a very good analysis, it should also be interesting to see how well Pavlik can utilize that jab against a moving target, its a lot more tricky, and a guy who is much ligher on his feet then Taylor or Miranda which means that Hopkins can counter at any moment, and he is as focused as anyone in boxing has ever been, he sees everything and reacts in a heartbeat.
    Yeah, plus Pavlik pushes a lazy jab out there sometimes just so he can use it to find his range, Hopkins has the ability to counter right over the top of it and then get out of there. This is definitely Pavlik's toughest test because Hopkins is so cerebral, JT could match him physically and was very athletic but he essentially fought the fight that Pavlik wanted him to fight both times.

With that being said, Calzaghe's jab was very effective against Hopkins but that was more because it corrected Calzaghe's own issues of squaring up and getting wide from the outside more then it affected Hopkins.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Ive come off the fence a week ago and now am actually standing by a Hopkins victory.I think Hopkins will literally be forced to fight with more leverage,realizing Pavliks strength and what he brings,and as much of a head game that he wants to be for Pavlik,equally he can not be a mind game for himself....do not ride on your legacy and take shite for granted thinking he can pot shot all night.At first Kelly will look to bring a fast KO as is his mindset.Hopkins will be the most awkward,experienced,multi-geared fighter Pavlik has ever fought,even though those gears are an aged 43 and I think Hopkins will catch him coming straight in and Pavlik Backing up is an ineffective Pavlik,I think he might just come to a point where he is stuck in between styles off counter punches from Hopkins and a bit uncertain how to change up,becoming entangled in Hopkins pace,He was walked around those ropes in rematch with Taylor and that will be a factor imo....Pavlik fights,he comes in and looks to assert his youth & power on his opponents and overwhelm them.Honestly,he should come off that long jab and look for a home with body hooks early & often,I think he'll have more effect there as opposed to the head.Maybe I'm off the meds or just living on Memories of a prime Hopkins but I see him honing all of those long toothed skills/mentality and spinging a surprise.I very well could be wrong .No excuses either way.
    Last edited by Spicoli; 10-18-2008 at 03:26 AM.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Bilbo View Post
    I give Hopkins a chance. We don't yet know how Pavlik will fare against someone as awkward as Hopkins.

I'd love to see the old warhorse beat the young lion, to my knowledge I can't think of any 44 year old former champ in the history of boxing who took on and beat an undisputed world champ in his prime.

Great way for Hopkins to end his career.

Unlikely to happen I guess, but he may well confuse the hell out of Pavlik we just don't know for sure.

The weight may be significant. Pavlik didn't look too hot the last time out against Jermain Taylor, a little sluggish and lethargic at times.

I'm rooting for the Nard but you got to give Pavlik the edge.
    I'm putting my bet on Hopkins. I don't know but I see something in him that would make Pavlik ineffective. I'm predicting a late KO in this fight. Pavlik's jabs would not not work with Hopkins' style.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Recently I've noticed Hopkins doesn't slip or counter as much as he used too he simply blocks punches with his hands high.The only slipping he still does is slip outside of the jab and come back with a right hand what I like to call rock and roll. You can't do that all the time against Kelly he is to tall and will make you pay.Tarver is taller but being a southpaw is much easier to hit with a right hand what Hopkins was able to do all night. With Hopkins' hands being high and just blocking Kelly will be punching threw the gloves and still rattling that 43 year old brain and this is where my prediction comes in.I don't think he can take that type of punishment anymore.He must move, move, move,box,box,box. Again something I don't think he can do.For me he has to fight like the young Bernard put pressure on Pavlik constantly move forward and throw combination's inside. The Executioner will be Executed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The only way hopkins wins is to cheat, period.
    Francisco "The Wizard" Palacios
    WBA Fedelatin Champ -WBC #1 Contender
    21-1* (13 K.O.s) Cruiserweight

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

NO. less than 24 hrs til bhops retirement.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hopkins still has good footwork and hand speed. Pavlik will be frustrated but everybody is frustrated when they fight Bernard. The best thing for Pavlik to do is catch him on the ropes. If Hopkins moves a lot just throw one or two punches and make sure they are accurate. Don't unload any big number of combos unless you tire him and have him on the ropes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by The Fightfan View Post
    Recently I've noticed Hopkins doesn't slip or counter as much as he used too he simply blocks punches with his hands high.The only slipping he still does is slip outside of the jab and come back with a right hand what I like to call rock and roll. You can't do that all the time against Kelly he is to tall and will make you pay.Tarver is taller but being a southpaw is much easier to hit with a right hand what Hopkins was able to do all night. With Hopkins' hands being high and just blocking Kelly will be punching threw the gloves and still rattling that 43 year old brain and this is where my prediction comes in.I don't think he can take that type of punishment anymore.He must move, move, move,box,box,box. Again something I don't think he can do.For me he has to fight like the young Bernard put pressure on Pavlik constantly move forward and throw combination's inside. The Executioner will be Executed.

Good analysis, Hop hasn't fought orthodox opp for a while. All i feel pavlik needs to do is apply steady pressurre without going nuts, maybe even try and do some mauling/wrestling himself until Hop gets tired late on, just make sure he makes the old man work for the first rounds while not getting caught with anything stupid.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Bomp View Post

Good analysis, Hop hasn't fought orthodox opp for a while. All i feel pavlik needs to do is apply steady pressurre without going nuts, maybe even try and do some mauling/wrestling himself until Hop gets tired late on, just make sure he makes the old man work for the first rounds while not getting caught with anything stupid.

i think it was kellys trainer said that "were bringing in a wrestler" which is bad for bhop cause that will cause him to use the stamina which is limited at his age. im gonna say a 9th or 10th round tko.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Taeth View Post
    That being said I think Pavlik should start off tomorrow night with a lower workrate like Calzaghe did, I fear that if he tries to come in right away he will be countered, take ayour time, get used to Hopkins timing, and realize you are going to get countered, but you will be countered a lot less if you fight smart and make sure Hopkins doesn't find his range.
    I agree Pavlik should be cautious, but not lower it too much, his output will naturally be lowered by Hopkins footwork anyway. Joe lowered his output in an attempt to sit on his punches more so they'd have more effect at the heavier weight, didn't work for him at all IMO as he couldn't land them because they were coming wider and more telegraphed than the punches in bunches he usually threw. Joe would have won much morecomforatably if he did what he usually does with a high output looking to just touch Hopkins for the first half before taking advantage of the tired older man later on.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Bomp View Post

Good to tire Grey beard Hopkins out but to much laying in with tussle & Maul might be a risky venture,I think Pavlik should just do what he does best and try to keep Hopkins on his heels with steady pressure,working those legs & body,body.Good Idea for Pav to hone up on inside tactics,no doubt Hopkins will try to use that.I can see a rough affair.

ICB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by WelshDevilRob View Post
    Pavliks fighting an oldman so should win. Kelly is a top fighter but this fight does nothing - its just beating a name.
    So does Joe Calzaghe's win over Bernard Hopkins mean nothing aswell ? and its just a win over an old name ? because Joe Calzaghe fans hold that win in high regard. So if Kelly Pavlik stops Bernard Hopkins or beats him more convincingly, doesn't Kelly Pavlik deserve more credit ?

Mentioned
    1672 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I hope Hopkins wins but Pavlik is smart and will not fall into the traps that Hopkins will set. He will out work him and win on points.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Thread Information