Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Newsflash: Roy Jones Is Shot

Roy Jones isnt shot according to Bernard Hopkins. He is in a better position than anyone to call this fight having fought both men . He says Jones will win a UD

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Roy might not be slurring his words but he is shot in relation to what he has lost.

He relied on the speed of his hands, not so much his feet, his oppnents were too intimidated to throw back for fear of being caught.

He always laid on the ropes, he never had good upper body or head movement and didnt really have a defence, other than using his gloves as earmuffs and lay on the ropes.

He has lost what made him win so many times against the mediocre opposition he had, that made him look alot better.

Tito was out for 3 years and Roy put him down but couldnt put him away, Tito forced Roy to the ropes, Roy is scared to get hit and just covers big time.

Joe would have smashed Tito all over the place.

Roy is very softly spoken in interviews and its always "if I win" or "big deal if I lose but if Joe loses!!" Not the most confident sounding person.

Ive never thought a fight was so wrong moreso than this one, when Roy got sparked by Tarver, thats where he stopped being relevant to world boxing, hes done nothing since for any light heavy to be afraid or to even earn a shot at a title, hes just beat someone who had no ranking in any weight!!! and was coming off a loss!! at middle!!!

Roy is hoping that the myth of Joe not hitting hard is true, hes hoping he can cover up to avoid the hundreds of punches coming his way and throw in 1 or 2 uppercuts and ko Joe.

Joe is a different animal to anyone Roy has faced as yet, no one Roy has fought is sodtermined to win, works as hard and can box to boot.

As long as Joe does as he has all these years with no signs of slowing as yet (other than Hopkins holding his arms!!) there is no way an old shot fighter is gonna turn that flooding tide.

Kessler was the only one who stood a chance of doing that but Joe just wan so much admiration and at the same time jelousy, people and other fighters wanted to right Joe off as protected and not really any good but to do what he did to a young multiple title holder with a lot of respect was awesome and made alot of people even greener.

Ok Hopkins got his win over Pavlik but the fact he couldnt beat his Kessler (Taylor) is why he refuses to give Joe any credit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ross View Post
    Roy might not be slurring his words but he is shot in relation to what he has lost.

He relied on the speed of his hands, not so much his feet, his oppnents were too intimidated to throw back for fear of being caught.

He always laid on the ropes, he never had good upper body or head movement and didnt really have a defence, other than using his gloves as earmuffs and lay on the ropes.

He has lost what made him win so many times against the mediocre opposition he had, that made him look alot better.

Tito was out for 3 years and Roy put him down but couldnt put him away, Tito forced Roy to the ropes, Roy is scared to get hit and just covers big time.

Roy is very softly spoken in interviews and its always "if I win" or "big deal if I lose but if Joe loses!!" Not the most confident sounding person.

Ive never thought a fight was so wrong moreso than this one, when Roy got sparked by Tarver, thats where he stopped being relevant to world boxing, hes done nothing since for any light heavy to be afraid or to even earn a shot at a title, hes just beat someone who had no ranking in any weight!!! and was coming off a loss!! at middle!!!

Roy is hoping that the myth of Joe not hitting hard is true, hes hoping he can cover up to avoid the hundreds of punches coming his way and throw in 1 or 2 uppercuts and ko Joe.

Joe is a different animal to anyone Roy has faced as yet, no one Roy has fought is sodtermined to win, works as hard and can box to boot.

As long as Joe does as he has all these years with no signs of slowing as yet (other than Hopkins holding his arms!!) there is no way an old shot fighter is gonna turn that flooding tide.

Kessler was the only one who stood a chance of doing that but Joe just wan so much admiration and at the same time jelousy, people and other fighters wanted to right Joe off as protected and not really any good but to do what he did to a young multiple title holder with a lot of respect was awesome and made alot of people even greener.

Ok Hopkins got his win over Pavlik but the fact he couldnt beat his Kessler (Taylor) is why he refuses to give Joe any credit
    Lets just hope guys like you are here Sunday the 9th to take your medicine like men

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Greig View Post
    Why exactly is anybody expecting Roy to win this weekend?

Because he fought a competitive decision with an also shot and under sized Felix Trinidad? His last three fights, he's looked god awful in two of them and then decisioned Tito who hadn't fought in three years.

At his best Roy relied on speed, power, reflexes and stamina. Only the power is left.

Against Calzaghe he'll be a sitting duck.

There are a lot of delusional people on this forum.
    Cus Roy Jones Jr. is the greatest boxer who ever lived.

And Calzaghe doesn't have the power to hurt him.
    "You knocked him down...now how bout you try knockin me down ?"

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Hulk View Post

Because he fought a competitive decision with an also shot and under sized Felix Trinidad? His last three fights, he's looked god awful in two of them and then decisioned Tito who hadn't fought in three years.

At his best Roy relied on speed, power, reflexes and stamina. Only the power is left.

The greatest boxer who ever lived wouldn't have been KO'd by Antonio Tarver or Glen Johnson.

He may have once been the best fighter on the planet because of his phenomenal athletic gifts.

But the greatest fighter who ever lived he aint. And Calzaghe kicks his arse this weekend.
    "I take good care of my people. I like to inflict permanent psychological damage."

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

And while I am on it - to those people saying that Jones looked good against Henshaw and Ajamu.

Well, there's a reason for that - it was against Henshaw and Adamu.

Even Tito was a shadow of his former self. Since his destruction by Hopkins, Tito stopped Cherifi and Mayorga (who was way out of his depth at 160) and was totally schooled by Winky. That's 3 fights in 7 years.

In Roy's last 3 fights he's fought Henshaw, Ajamu and Tito and COULDN'T STOP ANY OF THEM. Prior to that he'd lost his last three fights.

THE LAST TIME HE STOPPED ANYONE WAS IN 2002.

Yet, all of a sudden I'm supposed to believe he'll let it all hang out against the best pound for pound fighter on the planet?

Sorry folks, Roy is shot to pieces and this fight is nothing more than redundancy money for him.
    "I take good care of my people. I like to inflict permanent psychological damage."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

And while I am on it - to those people saying that Jones looked good against Henshaw and Ajamu.

Well, there's a reason for that - it was against Henshaw and Adamu.

Even Tito was a shadow of his former self. Since his destruction by Hopkins, Tito stopped Cherifi and Mayorga (who was way out of his depth at 160) and was totally schooled by Winky. That's 3 fights in 7 years.

In Roy's last 3 fights he's fought Henshaw, Ajamu and Tito and COULDN'T STOP ANY OF THEM. Prior to that he'd lost his last three fights.

THE LAST TIME HE STOPPED ANYONE WAS IN 2002.

Yet, all of a sudden I'm supposed to believe he'll let it all hang out against the best pound for pound fighter on the planet?

Sorry folks, Roy is shot to pieces and this fight is nothing more than redundancy money for him.
    Best pound for pound fighter on the planet? I thought he was fighting Joe Calzaghe P4P#3 not 1

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Joe has said he has now grown into the weight and feels he is punching harder and has no hand problems going into the fight, he also said he's going to sitdown on his punches rather than flurry.

Jones has lost 3 of his last 6 and 2 by Ko, the points loss to Tarver he looked intent on just surviving and going the distance rather than winning the fight. He's not fighting very often and has beaten 2 realitively unknown, unthreatning fighters in Prince and Hanshaw and beaten up an old, blown-up comebacking Trinidad - who has no business weighing 170lbs.

Jones in his prime was a superb fighter and one of the Greatest in history but he is no longer that fighter and barring Joe breaking his hands in the fight then we should see Calzaghe have too much of everything for Roy.

Joe beat Hopkins who at this stage is a better fighter than Roy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by WelshDevilRob View Post
    Joe has said he has now grown into the weight and feels he is punching harder and has no hand problems going into the fight, he also said he's going to sitdown on his punches rather than flurry.

Jones has lost 3 of his last 6 and 2 by Ko, the points loss to Tarver he looked intent on just surviving and going the distance rather than winning the fight. He's not fighting very often and has beaten 2 realitively unknown, unthreatning fighters in Prince and Hanshaw and beaten up an old, blown-up comebacking Trinidad - who has no business weighing 170lbs.

Jones in his prime was a superb fighter and one of the Greatest in history but he is no longer that fighter and barring Joe breaking his hands in the fight then we should see Calzaghe have too much of everything for Roy.

Joe beat Hopkins who at this stage is a better fighter than Roy.
    He said the exact same thing against hopkins. My fellow Joe fans are setting him up for a fall, Joe's not looked at his physical best for a long long time either, and he certainbly hasn't demontrated any power for a long while, which is Roy Jonbes kryptonyte

ICB Guest

The greatest boxer who ever lived wouldn't have been KO'd by Antonio Tarver or Glen Johnson.

He may have once been the best fighter on the planet because of his phenomenal athletic gifts.

But the greatest fighter who ever lived he aint. And Calzaghe kicks his arse this weekend.
    Thats ridiculous logic SRR is considered the best boxer of all time, and he lost to nobodies past his prime. So going by your logic that means SRR isn't the greatest boxer of all time right ?

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hopkins has always know how to smother and avoid getting hit clean, Jones is only just having to learn this, he looks very amaturish the way he avoids getting hit, running straight back to the ropes with the earmuffs on and just stands or leans on to the ropes bolt up right.

This is why Jones is shot, years ago he did this but had the stamina and speed to pop a few quick shots inbetween his opponents, hes lost that explosive speed and cant work.

This is what Joe has over every fighter today, the ability to work hard every second of evey round and on top of that has an excelent boxing brain and an iron will.

This in my eyes is just so Joe can retire with Roy on his record.

Just like a big game hunter having an elephant head mounted, it means nothing, the animal wasnt in a fair fight but still the hunter is proud of it.

The only thing that worrys me is Joe trys to outdo Roy with the hotdogging and makes him self look a prat, hes no good at it but trys it when he knows he has an audience, he did it at the end of a Hopkins round swaying backwards with his lips all puckered up, riding with Hopkins shots!! He just makes himself look a prat and its cringeworthy but other than that, Joe does have too much of everything right now for Roy.

Even if Roy does still have some power, im not sure if he has what it takes to finish Joe, Joe also goes balls out when hes hurt and I think Roy wouldnt want to try taking advantage kn owing Joe is gonna get wild with him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by JT Rock View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ross View Post

Lets just hope guys like you are here Sunday the 9th to take your medicine like men
    I hope you're right...
    Hidden Content
    "There's nothing special about him." -Sergiy Dzinziruk

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ICB View Post

Thats ridiculous logic SRR is considered the best boxer of all time, and he lost to nobodies past his prime. So going by your logic that means SRR isn't the greatest boxer of all time right ?
    SRR is the greatest boxer of all time because he fought the best guys around and beat them all convincingly.

Too many question marks over RJJ IMO. All the Brits he avoided at 168, the German guy at 175. A lot of his career was a bum of the month club.

Just my opinion.

Anyway, bottom line is you are saying Roy was past his best when he lost to Tarver and Johnson, I'm saying he's shot. It's not like we're on opposite sides of the spectrum here - we're in the same ballpark...

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

First off, i am a huge Roy Jones fan. Having said that...there is no question he has lost a considerable amount of his once otherworldly athleticism. But even worse than that...is that he has lost his once unmatched confidence. Mentally...he is not the same fighter. Watching 24/7 just confirms this for me. The old Roy Jones would never talk about "if" loses. That was not ever part ofthe equation. But when i hear him talk now and see the look in his eye...i just feel even he knows his best is well past him. Do i want him to win tomorrow...absolutely. Does he have a chance...of course. But i just have a feeling he will lose. Anyways...hoping i'm wrong. Just wish this fight took place many years ago...when Roy would have toyed with Calzaghe.

Thread Information