Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 25 of 27 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 LastLast

Thread: <b><font color="#800000"><b><font color="#800000">~ RJJ vs. Calzaghe ~ Let's talk! vi

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: <b><font color="#800000"><b><font color="#800000">~ RJJ vs. Calzaghe ~ Let's talk

Here are some pics from the fight.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: <b><font color="#800000"><b><font color="#800000">~ RJJ vs. Calzaghe ~ Let's talk

Oh, I thought I would throw one in of Zab's cut.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by CutMeMick View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by the_sacred_chilli View Post
    one thing i did wonder was why wasnt roys cut man using vaseline to either plug the leak, or guide it around the eye, and didnt see an iron used to reduce swelling. certainly not saying i know better, just wonder if anybody knows why...
    Dr. Lucey was using swabs only, I myself did not understand why there was no vaseline being used.
    I can't recall a time i've ever seen Roy cut before.
    Life is still worth while If You Just Smile - MJ

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Calzaghe wins...

Still a good effort by Roy wasn't hurt by any of Joe's punches mure frusterated. I don't want to see Jones retire yet.

ICB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Sapphire View Post
    Still a good effort by Roy wasn't hurt by any of Joe's punches mure frusterated. I don't want to see Jones retire yet.
    I do i wanted to see RJJ retire along time ago, i don't want to see him tarnish his legacy anymore.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Violent Ds Next Baby Mama View Post
    Here are some pics from the fight.

Great Pics!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The more i see it i think calzaghe has to beat one more young hungry lion to put the cherry on top of the cake. If he doesn't he'll always have the innuendo that he beat 2 past their prime legends. If he beat a chad dawson convincingly then that would all dissappear. i think he has to take that risk. He may lose his unbeaten record, but if he beats dawson, he would have very few unbelievers at that point.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ICB View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sapphire View Post
    I do i wanted to see RJJ retire along time ago, i don't want to see him tarnish his legacy anymore.
    Im not a Jones fan,but I feel the same way, he hasnt become Ali sad yet, but he's heading that way.
    What made him as good as he was,was his legs, and they just arent there anymore.
    Hopkins gets by on guile, Roy was so good he never bothered to get sneaky, Joe gets by on the incredible work rate he puts out, Foreman used to get by on "All I need is one punch", Roy doesnt quite have any of that even in his prime.
    Theres a moment, you just figure out what nail your hanging the gloves off of, Roy should just realize its time to find his hammer and drive the nail in to the wall.
    He was a fighter I didnt like as a person, but he was a great fighter, and thats undeniable, but his road has reached its end hopefully.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Ha, I hate both of these bozos, but I never thought I'd see the day when any opponent of RJJ would get ripped as being an arrogant showboating cunt. How does it feel Roy? Live by the sword, die by the sword.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Trainer Monkey View Post
    Who in the hell really cared
    Jones was spent three years ago, he only took the fight for one last payday.
    I didnt even bother to watch,Im not spending 50 bucks of my money to watch the mediocre beat the crap out of the elderly.
    10 years ago this would have been a good fight, but it isnt 10 years ago
    Ha ha come on man. You think JC is mediocre? Ok so Jones is past his best etc etc but Joe is no where near mediocre and i am not a fanboy.

I am a huge RJJ fan and always have been but even in his prime Joe would have been a very difficult fight for him.

I think so many people are upset about the showboating they are letting that cloud their judgment over what was pretty much a great performance by JC.Thats fair enough i can understand that but anyone who says JC is mediocre isn't really living in the real world and IMO it kinda smacks of bitterness/sour grapes a little bit.

Sorry mate

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Everyone is slagging off calzage saying he beat a past it jones but joe is getting old as well so that has to be taken into consideration,
    also i predicted joe would be on the floor so to the people who said i was stupid ha ha LOL

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Why does there seem to be so many people upset about the showboating?

I mean, is it that bad that RJJ got a little taste of his own medicine? How many fighters did he embarass in the ring ffs!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Munkymagic View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainer Monkey View Post
    Who in the hell really cared
    Jones was spent three years ago, he only took the fight for one last payday.
    I didnt even bother to watch,Im not spending 50 bucks of my money to watch the mediocre beat the crap out of the elderly.
    10 years ago this would have been a good fight, but it isnt 10 years ago
    Ha ha come on man. You think JC is mediocre? Ok so Jones is past his best etc etc but Joe is no where near mediocre and i am not a fanboy.

I am a huge RJJ fan and always have been but even in his prime Joe would have been a very difficult fight for him.

I think so many people are upset about the showboating they are letting that cloud their judgment over what was pretty much a great performance by JC.Thats fair enough i can understand that but anyone who says JC is mediocre isn't really living in the real world and IMO it kinda smacks of bitterness/sour grapes a little bit.

Sorry mate
    Sorry mate
    Nobody has loathed Jones over the course of his career then me
    Nobody
    I have stronger feeling towards Joes fans and manager then I have toward Joe personally.
    I called that Joe was going to smoke Jones , so there goes that angle
    Id be embarrassed if I was a Calzeghe fan, that Jones even made it a fight, because Jones was stick a fork in him done 3 years ago.
    10 years ago this would have been an interesting fight, because I cant really say who would have won, but now its a freaking joke,and I said that before anybody got to the ring
    So you cant say Im a Jones fan,you cant say it didnt go like I said it would,and you cant say its something personal with Joe
    So where are the sour grapes?

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

This fight offended me...I was so embaressed half way through the fight that I wanted to get up and walk out.

It was like Roy had an agreement with Joe to just hang in there for 12 rounds and let him just hit his elbows whilst throwing NOTHING in return. I was so deflated and dissapointed in Roy.

He just wasn't interested and could have had Calzaghe out of there in the 1st after he was gasping for breath. The old HUNGRY Roy would have dispatched of him immediately after that knockdown.

I think both Joe and Roy should be ashamed of themselves for this performance. A blatant robbery of the fans. They both owe me 8 hours of sleep!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I have been reading these forums for some while now, and after each transatlantic bout, the same one-eyed assessments see to abound. There's nothing wrong with such partisanship, but it doesn't make for rational assessment of the fights being discussed. Inevitably, which eye is closed seems to depend upon which side of the pond its POV is from.

Much as I love Ricky Hatton as a character, I don't like his style as a boxer, and didn't give him much of a hope against PBF. Infact, I think he did well to last as long as he did. Most of my boxing heroes are American: Sugar Rays 1 and 2, Ali, Oscar DLH etc However, I do think that Calzaghe gets massively under-rated on here.

The facts are that he has beaten everyone put in front of him. Even B Hop had to resort to cheating, and still couldn't win.
    Calzaghe's speed is breathtaking. Not just the hand speed, but his reflexes. That's why he has always been able to get away with dropping his hands and sticking his chin out. His variety of styles and ability to quickly adapt his gameplan when the going gets tough must be demoralising for his opponents. The demoralisation of his opponents is the key. Drop him, he comes back at you fearlessly, daring you to do it again. He doesn't take a backward step, and especially not when he has been tagged. Imagine that. You hit an opponent with a crisp shot, and he walks straight at you firing flurries of "pitter patter" shots....except, those pitter patter shots hurt: ask Lacey, Kessler and RJJ.

The key to the RJJ fight was in the first three rounds, where age would be less of a factor for Roy. He was still sharp and dangerous, but he was being beaten to the punch 9 times out of ten, by a guy taunting him in the way he taunted others. RJJ's spirit was broken right there. All he did from there on in was survive.

Far from showing disrespect (Calzage always showboats), he clearly took his foot off the gas in later rounds, and did not appear to want to hurt one of his heroes.

Those with the opinion that a prime RJJ takes a prime Calzaghe are simply pulling fantasy from nostalgia. I too watched RJJ destroy countless opponents with dazzling speed and agility. However, he never met a Calzaghe before, and it is certainly no foregone conclusion that he would have prevailed against such an indomitable spirit/chin, allied with Calzaghe's ability.

Joe came to prominence hammering Chris Eubank, the best of the golden era of Brit middleweights. I hope he calls it a day now, having taken all the significant names of the late nineties and naughties. I fear that any further fights might be the undoing of him, not because of the onset of age, but because the motivation would be all wrong.

Thread Information