Thread: You will call me crazy, but I think Roy has one big fight available

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: You will call me crazy, but I think Roy has one big fight available

Quote Originally Posted by Taeth View Post
    Vs none of there than Bernard Hopkins.
    Before you say I am totally nuts hear me out

Look at the triangle that was Hopkins, Jermain Taylor, and Pavlik

1.Taylor gave Hopkins all sorts of troubles because he didn't rush forward, he used his youth, speed, and reflexes and just allowed himself to react to what Hopkins did which threw Hopkins off and gave him fits.
    2. I will discard their first fight because Jermain Taylor punched himself out in it, but in their second fight Pavlik used high output, and pressure which is the achilles heal of Jermain Taylor, he isn't good at fighting, I also thought Winky Wright beat him soundly with the same approach, but people had Jermain landing punches I definitely didn't.
    3. Hopkins nullified a lot of what Winky, and beat him in a close fight, but the more important thing is he took Pavlik to school, he out boxed him, out fought him, out everything Pavlik.

The point I am making is styles can make fights, guys who seem even on paper in many ways going into a fight actually in some cases turned into landslides one way or another.

I think Calzaghe was the worst style regardless of what shape Roy was in for him to face, Its obvious the thing that has fallen the most for him is output. While Bernard is so elusive and sneaky he could deal with Calzaghe's huge output much more effectively, while Roy was kept on the ropes, but once again Calzaghe didn't land a whole lot of clean punches except when Roy had his hands down and he backed into the ropes. I also saw Roy's speed the few times he punched like in the 5th round, he was able to land effectively on Calzaghe, arguably easier than Bernard.

The point I am making is Bernard can throw a lot of punches if you come at him, and he isn't forced into complete defensive mode, I think Calzaghe and Jermain Taylor were too quick for him to counter consistently the whole night, but Kelly was slower and I think Hopkins was able to see the punches coming.

I still think unless Bernard can pull massive amount of punches out of his belt that Roy is a bad matchup for him if Roy doesn't get backed up the whole fight. I think this would be a boring fight for most, but it would be a close fight.

Why was Jermain Taylor as effective against Bernard as Calzaghe if not more so? Because that explosive speed is what really screws up Bernard, because it doesn't rely on a tempo like Calzaghe does. Roy Jones Jr isn't a rhythmic type fighter, he fights in spurts like Bernard does, he also attempts to disrupt his opponent's rhythm, and I think they offset eachother to a large degree, I want to see this fight made, but I doubt Hopkins would take it now... a pity.

YOUR CRAZY!

To win fights you got to throw punches.
    Balls

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I posted on this yesterday, I'd like to see it happen personally, nice way for both fighters to bow out.

There's little risk of being hurt by B Hop it will be a slow paced tactical fight for the most part.

Ideally Hopkins and Jones have their little retirment party and Calzaghe can get it on with Dawson to decide the true light heavyweight champion

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Calzaghe IMO isn't in the picture or least I hope not or he will destroy another weight class by beating its best fighter in Chad Dawson then retiring anyways. Chad IMO isn't quite at the stage in his career where he will have delt with enough to deal with Calzaghe. I think he showed his deire to fight and his heart against Glen Johnson, but its Calzaghe's speed along wtih his output that make him so difficult.

Still people are saying Roy doesn't punch, but that is being hypocritical because Hopkins has had the lowest output of any champion maybe ever. When he is fighting his fight he averages like 30 punches a round.

I still contest that if Joe beat Bernard it was on output and he definitely beat Roy on output, the difference is, is that Roy was there all night for Joe to throw punches at while Hopkins wasn't. Hopkins is a great fighter, but Jermain Taylor like I have said due to his more explosive speed and actually putting power on his punches limited Hopkins so much, even in their second fight when Bernard said he would come forward and knock Jermain out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by porkypara View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Taeth View Post
    Vs none of there than Bernard Hopkins.
    Before you say I am totally nuts hear me out

Look at the triangle that was Hopkins, Jermain Taylor, and Pavlik

1.Taylor gave Hopkins all sorts of troubles because he didn't rush forward, he used his youth, speed, and reflexes and just allowed himself to react to what Hopkins did which threw Hopkins off and gave him fits.
    2. I will discard their first fight because Jermain Taylor punched himself out in it, but in their second fight Pavlik used high output, and pressure which is the achilles heal of Jermain Taylor, he isn't good at fighting, I also thought Winky Wright beat him soundly with the same approach, but people had Jermain landing punches I definitely didn't.
    3. Hopkins nullified a lot of what Winky, and beat him in a close fight, but the more important thing is he took Pavlik to school, he out boxed him, out fought him, out everything Pavlik.

The point I am making is styles can make fights, guys who seem even on paper in many ways going into a fight actually in some cases turned into landslides one way or another.

I think Calzaghe was the worst style regardless of what shape Roy was in for him to face, Its obvious the thing that has fallen the most for him is output. While Bernard is so elusive and sneaky he could deal with Calzaghe's huge output much more effectively, while Roy was kept on the ropes, but once again Calzaghe didn't land a whole lot of clean punches except when Roy had his hands down and he backed into the ropes. I also saw Roy's speed the few times he punched like in the 5th round, he was able to land effectively on Calzaghe, arguably easier than Bernard.

The point I am making is Bernard can throw a lot of punches if you come at him, and he isn't forced into complete defensive mode, I think Calzaghe and Jermain Taylor were too quick for him to counter consistently the whole night, but Kelly was slower and I think Hopkins was able to see the punches coming.

I still think unless Bernard can pull massive amount of punches out of his belt that Roy is a bad matchup for him if Roy doesn't get backed up the whole fight. I think this would be a boring fight for most, but it would be a close fight.

Why was Jermain Taylor as effective against Bernard as Calzaghe if not more so? Because that explosive speed is what really screws up Bernard, because it doesn't rely on a tempo like Calzaghe does. Roy Jones Jr isn't a rhythmic type fighter, he fights in spurts like Bernard does, he also attempts to disrupt his opponent's rhythm, and I think they offset eachother to a large degree, I want to see this fight made, but I doubt Hopkins would take it now... a pity.

YOUR CRAZY!

To win fights you got to throw punches.
    Look at the stats, Bernard isn't exactly Antonio Margarito.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

This is just a dreadful idea, just dreadful, throw in Byrd/Williamson 2 as the co feature and find a spot for Zahir Raheem and Rocky Juarez and boxing would be officially dead.

I'd rather watch Nascar with Dick Cheney, I may go on a neg repping spree just cause this thought has now officially crossed my mind.
    Last edited by OumaFan; 11-10-2008 at 04:21 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thats fine if you can't appreciate real boxing, instead of just watching punches being thrown in large volumes, but some of us can.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Haha, I'm a huge Hopkins fan, top five all time. This would be a trainwreck, two guys staring at each other for 12 rounds, occasionally joining in a feint-off. Their styles could not be worse together.

Thread Information