Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Need some advice on combinations

I already have about four that I know that I like already and they are very basic combinations:

Jab (move in), Cross

Jab (move in), Jab, Cross

Jab (move in), Left Head Hook, Cross

(Inside Fighting) Right Uppercut, Left Head Hook, Cross

However, the last combination I have trouble debating whether to use in boxing is another simple combination:

Jab (move in), Cross, Left Head Hook, Cross

This is a good combination to use on shorter fighters, but it also leaves you open for a counter Left Hook during the small gap of time between the continious Cross/Left Hook part of the combination. This really isn't a good combination for taller opponents, because you have to throw "up" to hit your opponent, which takes away the power.

I've also thought about another combination, which is a good one I think:

Jab (move in), Cross, Left Body Hook, Left Head Hook, Cross

This is good for taller opponents because the Jab, Cross blinds the opponent so you can sneak in a hard Left Body Hook, then a Left Head Hook, Cross. However I don't think this would work well on shorter opponents.

So my question is, which one do you think is probabky best to use, or do you think I should use both? Thanks!

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Need some advice on combinations

Always have Plan B .
    Pain lasts a only a minute, but the memory will last forever....

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

yeah, and use the one that works for you. only you can answer that question.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Funny, I just did a search on this forum, and this is what I wrote before:

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Nagel View Post
    How would you set your opponent up to land your combination? I think that pre-planned combinations makes for a predictable fighter. What happens when you're trying to throw your favorite combo and your opponent punches in between your sequences while avoiding your own punches? Understand that when you become focused on just throwing a pre-planned combination that your attack can become a predictable pattern that a decent fighter can counter or avoid altogether. The same applies for any preset plan or preset anything.

Now look at guys such Julio Cesar Chavez, their punches may have looked like a simple combination that they just so happened to throw but actually it started out as a counterpunch. You see to them there's probably not a punch that their opponent throws that they can't counterpunch. A good counterpuncher will make their opponent throw the punch that they want to counter.

Combinations are great because it can spread out an opponent's defense especially against people assume a rigid defense such as the squared up hand high and tight defense that most fighters today are brought up in. Against an opponent with a nice flexible defense who decides to stay out of range and makes you do most of the leading, throwing a combination would be ineffective if you can't hit anything. Look at how Pernell Whittaker fights and think how would you be able to even lay glove on him. Boxing isn't always as easy as pick your spot and name your shot. The thing is that boxing at its highest level requires you to set up your punches in order to land anything. This can be practiced on the bags or in the ring, throwing counters off the slip, learning how to counter each kind of punch, and later on learning how to set your opponent up.
    Remember this, any combination of punches may be used as long as openings are created. Some of the most spectacular combinations were the result of a clever set-up, getting an opponent to react in a particular way, getting into position, and taking advantage of the new opening. Ideally the final blow in a combination should be a hard clean punch to a vulnerable spot which will cause much more damage than several rounds of aimless punching, or perhaps better yet will get your opponent out of there.

I think that there are different things that successful combination punches have as their basis. Some punches seem to naturally follow certain leads, i.e. the straight right following the jab, or the left hook following the right hand. Some of it could have something to do with rhythm, or what feels right to a particular fighter (e.g. going from the head to the body or vice-versa, doubling up with punches, etc.). There are different factors, but what's important to realize is what "feels" natural to you.

Jab (move in), Cross, Left Body Hook, Left Head Hook, Cross

This is good for taller opponents because the Jab, Cross blinds the opponent so you can sneak in a hard Left Body Hook, then a Left Head Hook, Cross. However I don't think this would work well on shorter opponents.
    It depends on how your opponent reacts, what happens if he slips your jab/cross? It's funny how a lot combinations never get off the ground if you can stop step one of their plan. If it works, then great, if not have something good to fall back on, "Always have Plan B ."

What definitely helps is having a trainer that's willing to work with you on different scenarios rather than shouting out numbers with his punch pads held aloft. Your mind is more involved, and this way you'll become much more keen with practice. Practicing your combinations appropriately in different situations will have much more practical value as you'll be able to put it good use in the ring. Now on the other hand, pre-planned combos are like giving your opponent a map on how to hit you, especially if you throw them repeatedly.

So with that said, try out different things. You might think on the lines, "I'll do this and he'll do that and that'll give me the opening to start a combination. There's a lot of different things you can work on, using slipping to set up your combinations, and through sparring study your opponent's reactions and see how the punches that you land cause them to react in ways which in effect may lead to more openings. The difference between a really good fighter and a beginner is that the good fighter makes use of each opportunity (including those he created ) and follows up each opening. He delivers his punches in well planned series, each opening creating another, until a "clean shot" is obtained.

Work on your counter punching, different situations and smart footwork and you'll earn yourself great returns on your combination punching in the future.
    If you hear a voice within you saying that I am not a painter, then by all means paint and that voice will be silenced.

Thread Information