Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: A few jumbled topics all rolled up and smoked.

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default A few jumbled topics all rolled up and smoked.

Firstly, I would like to say that Jeff Lacy needs to retire. Like 5 minutes ago. When all you can do for 36 minutes is throw a powder puff jab into a guy's obvious guard, and follow it up with a so-so right hand right back into the same obvious guard, and that's ALL you can do all night, its just time to call it a day. Im one of those that thought Jeff was over hyped and fought Joe way too early, and wasnt a bit surprised at the shellacking Calzaghe administered.

Sooo... maybe Jeff would have been something if not for the terrible psychological and physical pounding he took from Joe?

I don't think so but maybe.

MAYBE Jeff would have gone on to be sometihng if he hadn't obliterated that famous left shoulder of his?

I dont think so but maybe.

At best youre looking at a well built gym rat that had a decent left hook on his rise through the ranks. Now you have a purely one dimensional one-two clubber with nothing left to offer. Im pretty sure I could have taken Lacy last night. What's my strat? Good question. Here you go: Hmmm, lets see. How bout block the lead range-finding jab that you know he's trying to set the right up with. Next? Block the ridiculously telegraphed right hand that is following that nothing-jab 99 out of 100 times. Next? Counter. Win.

It is absolute torture to watch a fighter throw the same 1-2 for 12 rounds and go absolutely nowhere with it.

And now for something completely different.

Roy Jones Jr vs Joe Calzaghe. I picked Roy to win and he was thoroughly thrashed. In retrospect its hard to imagine picking Roy to win but I did. And after the first round, I thought I picked well. Sadly, as most of you predicted, the workrate was just waaaaay too much for my boy.

Im a big Calzaghe fan too, but I must say I was pretty disappointed to see all the showboating by Joe in the later rounds. He had a beaten and bloody shell in front of him that was just trying to survive and I thought it was in poor taste. All the showboating in the early rounds was fine, but after the cut and the obvious points loss heading to Jones, it just felt wrong. Would have liked to have seen some more respect for an all time great. And yes, whatever arguments some of you may have about Roy's career, he is most certainly an all time great. I agree with Kellerman in that Joe should go ahead and hang em up. He could probably add a few more W's to his resume, but why risk it now? Someone young and hungry will end up upsetting the apple cart if he pushes it much longer.

And now for something also completely different.

David Haye. Wow. Where to begin. Here's another guy that I think has been oversold and has underdelivered. The rampant internet talk of him even being remotely competetive with either Klitschko is ludicrous. Where's James Toney when you need him? I'd like to see David Haye try to get past James and then maybe, MAYBE Ill pay some attention. Or how about Lamon Brewster? Or how about Rahman? SOMEBODY with a bit more pep than Monte "Two Guns" (Ha! Where?) Barrett. Haye has some moderately respectable power (at cruiser) and decent speed but he is going to get absolutely bushwhacked against any decent, genuine heavyweight.

I appreciate the notion that David is "single handedly trying to breath some life into a stale division" (gag) but he's not the real goods. Sports fans, take note: patience is a virtue. The next exciting heavyweight isn't here yet, so I dont think we should fabricate one out of a british cruiser with decent power and a good smack-talking game.

Looking forward to the rest of the year. Calling out Pac to take DLH in 9. I know, I know. I stand by it, though. Can't wait to see my other boy, Hatton, take out Paulie on Saturday. Hoping for a KO, but honestly I see a more grueling decision win than I'd like to.

Take her easy gents, see you on fight night.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: A few jumbled topics all rolled up and smoked.

Lacy got one of the most one sided beatings I ever seen. Some American posters say he is now garbage which is a shame, but this is what happens when a hyped fighter steps up to world level, they get humiliated....lets move on....

Jones is still fast and dangerous if he wants to be, he has the power to still KO top guys. He is gun shy though due to the KO's he had, so thats his downfall right now. People were giving Roy a chance and I too was thinking "oh shit he looks great" after the second round. Joe made that fight exiting though, taking risks to land and looking flashy.

David Haye...I think he beats almost any heavy out there including Wlad.....in a perfect fight.

Vitali will punish him though, haye is an exiting, power punching machine, just what we needed. he needs about 3 more fights until he considers Wlad. He should stay clear of Vitali IMO at any time in the next 2 years.
    Last edited by Kel; 11-17-2008 at 01:27 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Agree with everything there except the last bit about Haye taking out most any heavy available.

I sincerely and vehemently believe the first time a real heavy with any power lands something meaningful, David is going to fall completely apart.

Carl Thompson is crafty and a good mover and shaker and he dumped David on his ass.

Forgive me, but I DARESAY Wlad Klitschko or Lamon Brewster or a whole smattering of other heavies hit a WEE BIT HARDER than Mr Thomspon...

Good speed, good power, but David's chin simply isn't built to absorb the howitzer right hands of any number of legit heavies.

ICB Guest

Jeff Lacy isn't ever going to recover from that shoulder injury, he hardly throws a left hook now. Which was his best weapon, all he does now is throw weak jabs followed by a predictable right hand.

He's a finished fighter even though i didn't think he was anywhere near as good, as the hype was suggested. I still think he could of been a better fighter had he not been rushed into the Joe Calzaghe fight.

He actually did used to set punches up with the jab, so they could of worked on that more. And taught him a better defense and he could of been a much better fighter, but its a lost cause now.

No way is he ever going to reach the world stage again. Which is sad because Jeff Lacy is a hard guy not too root for, but this is a simple case of a fighter being too overhyped. And being rushed into a fight which he clearly wasn't ready for.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I just can't get worked up about Joe taunting Roy.

Roy taunted no hopers, cab drivers, literally police officers, in his prime. Guys that had no chance whatsoever. Which is worse, that or tauting a shot beaten fighter? I don't know, don't really care, if anybody can't complain about taunting its Roy.

ICB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by OumaFan View Post
    I just can't get worked up about Joe taunting Roy.

Roy taunted no hopers, cab drivers, literally police officers, in his prime. Guys that had no chance whatsoever. Which is worse, that or tauting a shot beaten fighter? I don't know, don't really care, if anybody can't complain about taunting its Roy.
    RJJ taunted but not to the extent Joe Calzaghe done it, he must of taunted like 100 times in the fight. It was constant every round every second. It just got tiresome and it looked like he had no respect for the old legend.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I noticed Calzaghe doing it a number of times but some people some to be posting as if he did it literally every 10 seconds.

Did I just miss something?

ICB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by AdamGB View Post
    I noticed Calzaghe doing it a number of times but some people some to be posting as if he did it literally every 10 seconds.

He was doing it literally every 20 seconds it was that bad, i just think its disrespectful to an old legend. When RJJ fought Mike McCallum who was an old legend at that time.

RJJ actually took it easy on Mike McCallum and let him survive, you could see he had great respect for Mike McCallum. I didn't like Joe Calzaghe's attitude and i don't like his attitude outside the ring anymore either.

He used to be a likeable fighter inside/outside the ring, he used to get on with the job without all that taunting crap. And outside the ring he used to be just like an everyday average guy so it was hard not to like him at one point.

But then the last few years he's been acting like an arrogant jerk, who contradicts himself constantly, especially when he called RJJ an old hasbeen just before his fight with Tito. So if thats the case why fight him then ? but then he changed his story and said this will be a fight against a great legend blah blah, Yea Joe Calzaghe the only problem is his last good performance was in 2003 for crying out loud.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by leftylee number 1 groupie View Post

He was doing it literally every 20 seconds it was that bad, i just think its disrespectful to an old legend. When RJJ fought Mike McCallum who was an old legend at that time.

RJJ actually took it easy on Mike McCallum and let him survive, you could see he had great respect for Mike McCallum. I didn't like Joe Calzaghe's attitude and i don't like his attitude outside the ring anymore either.

He used to be a likeable fighter inside/outside the ring, he used to get on with the job without all that taunting crap. And outside the ring he used to be just like an everyday average guy so it was hard not to like him at one point.

But then the last few years he's been acting like an arrogant jerk, who contradicts himself constantly, especially when he called RJJ an old hasbeen just before his fight with Tito. So if thats the case why fight him then ? but then he changed his story and said this will be a fight against a great legend blah blah, Yea Joe Calzaghe the only problem is his last good performance was in 2003 for crying out loud.
    Every 20 seconds?

Calzaghe eased up on Roy to let him survive the last few rounds too. And Roy showboated his entire career, doesn't matter whether he's a legend or not.. what's good for the goose is good for the gander.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

ICB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Fenster View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by leftylee number 1 groupie View Post

Every 20 seconds?

Calzaghe eased up on Roy to let him survive the last few rounds too. And Roy showboated his entire career, doesn't matter whether he's a legend or not.. what's good for the goose is good for the gander.
    Yes i would say mostly every 20-30 seconds it felt like i was watching a circus no respect

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I couldn't believe Calzaghe's disrespect

He was throwing at Roy like he was trying to win or something. No respect for a legend. I counted a slap at least every 7 seconds it was enough for me never to watch boxing again. What utter disrespect.

ICB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by amat View Post
    I couldn't believe Calzaghe's disrespect

He was throwing at Roy like he was trying to win or something. No respect for a legend. I counted a slap at least every 7 seconds it was enough for me never to watch boxing again. What utter disrespect.
    I agree great post

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I personally thought Calzaghe showed Roy a great deal of respect... during the build up and even in the fight.

he could of easily put the old man away after that cut and amongst the showboating etc there was a lot of looks of acknowledgment. Both of them seemed to be enjoying it as far as I could see.

Even after the cut I saw a few smiles from Jones

Thread Information