Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Why Chad Dawson is the most dangerous opponent Calzaghe would have faced.

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Why Chad Dawson is the most dangerous opponent Calzaghe would have faced.

Quote Originally Posted by Taeth View Post
    Obviously you haven't if you are pulling the crap you are. Or maybe you haven't seen Kessler because he definitely isn't a heavier puncher than Chad Dawson.

I have one thing to say Floyd Mayweather Jr is hailing this guy as the best p4p fighter on the planet. He has no reason to, I haven't heard of some great comeradery between the two, this kid deserves to be in the top 10 p4p, and he definitely gives Calzaghe the most honest competition in his career.

Calzaghe has never faced a guy of this caliber in his prime or near it. Kessler is a great fighter, but you wait 3-4 years and we will see who is sitting where on the p4p chart.
    Either BCD or Glen Johnson are the toughest fights out there for Calzaghe. You've mentioned the reasons why you believe BCD would be the toughest fight out there for Joe. Why would he be tougher than Glen Johnson? Calzaghe definitively beat Bika, but Bika proved tougher than some of his opponents because of his pressure and strength. Johnson has those same qualities to a degree. Johnson also throws a lot of punches.

Also, it isn't like Joe hasn't faced taller fighters or fighters with longer arms. In fact, there isn't much out there that Joe hasn't been up against. Mario Veit was 6'3 1/2 and Charles Brewer had a 78" wingspan. Granted, they aren't on the BCD level.

Additionally, Kessler was in his prime although I understand your argument that Kessler had yet to be in a war in the same way BCD was with Johnson and that such experience would aid BCD in a fight with Calzaghe. However, there is a reason that he is #1 in the smw division.

One of the reasons Calzaghe is great is because of his ability to adjust. The guy lives to win. I've never seen the heart of a champion like that in Calzaghe. His ability to get right back up after going down in the first round of two fights against ATG's is unparallelled. The other reason why Calzaghe is great is because he is the master, possibly the best ever, at punch volume. I think arguably someone who has a similar level of output would pose the most threat to Calzaghe.

After watching the RJJ fight and the Bhop fight, you have to wonder whether they really would have beat him in their primes. If you went into the fight thinking they would, you had to come out of those fights with at least a few doubts.

On the whole, I'm not sure there is anyone out there that can beat Joe. In my opinion, he could fight JT, Pavilk, and BCD and be favored in all three fights.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Why Chad Dawson is the most dangerous opponent Calzaghe would have faced.

Quote Originally Posted by leftylee number 1 groupie View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenster View Post

Robin Reid caught Joe Calzaghe constantly with straight right hands, and Joe Calzaghe couldn't adjust. Not that it matters against Chad Dawson because he is a Southpaw but still.
    He wasn't as experienced/smart back then.. and didn't show the same confidence.. and had the broken hand, which couldn't have helped his concentration
    What about against Richie Woodhall/Bernard Hopkins ? im not dissing Joe Calzaghe here. But i disagree with Kel's comment that Joe Calzaghe can't be caught with the same shot over and over when he clearly can.

But like i said this is all a moot point anyway because Chad Dawson is a Southpaw, but i would like to see Chad Dawson work Joe Calzaghe's body. Chad Dawson is a good body puncher especially once he gets going with his combinations.

And it would be interesting to see how Joe Calzaghe would cope, because he's never really been tested to the body before.
    What about them?

Joe just duffed his mate Richie up - he could deal with the punches no problem. Hopkins threw and landed hardly anything.

For Dawson to have any effect on Calzaghe's body he'll have to be a consistent, hurtful, sustained body puncher. No-one could really get away with that against Calzaghe without getting hit 10-fold back. That's the problem.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It's easy to see the physical strengths of Dawson over Calzaghe, but I don't see the most important strength above Joe... Mental Strength.

If "Chad was so Bad," he would have knocked out Tarver by the 6th round. Too tentative, too safe, too boring. Tarver is gone, done, and Chad faced him like an opponent. Glenn Johnson... ha!

I like a fighter who knocks 'em out and finishes 'em when he can. He doesn't use his intuition with his punches. A lot of people don't see it, but I see it.... he holds back.

ICB Guest

He wasn't as experienced/smart back then.. and didn't show the same confidence.. and had the broken hand, which couldn't have helped his concentration
    What about against Richie Woodhall/Bernard Hopkins ? im not dissing Joe Calzaghe here. But i disagree with Kel's comment that Joe Calzaghe can't be caught with the same shot over and over when he clearly can.

But like i said this is all a moot point anyway because Chad Dawson is a Southpaw, but i would like to see Chad Dawson work Joe Calzaghe's body. Chad Dawson is a good body puncher especially once he gets going with his combinations.

And it would be interesting to see how Joe Calzaghe would cope, because he's never really been tested to the body before.
    What about them?

Joe just duffed his mate Richie up - he could deal with the punches no problem. Hopkins threw and landed hardly anything.

For Dawson to have any effect on Calzaghe's body he'll have to be a consistent, hurtful, sustained body puncher. No-one could really get away with that against Calzaghe without getting hit 10-fold back. That's the problem.
    Richie Woodhall landed constantly with right hands so did Bernard Hopkins, that was my point.

ICB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by gyrokai View Post
    It's easy to see the physical strengths of Dawson over Calzaghe, but I don't see the most important strength above Joe... Mental Strength.

If "Chad was so Bad," he would have knocked out Tarver by the 6th round. Too tentative, too safe, too boring. Tarver is gone, done, and Chad faced him like an opponent. Glenn Johnson... ha!

I like a fighter who knocks 'em out and finishes 'em when he can. He doesn't use his intuition with his punches. A lot of people don't see it, but I see it.... he holds back.
    How many stoppages has Joe Calzaghe had in the last 6 years ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Who has knocked out Tarver? A guy who has faced all the best light heavyweights of the last decade excluding Calzaghe.

Also you haven't seen a heart like Calzaghe's? What about Holyfield, Robinson, Frazier, Ali, Leonard, Duran, Hagler, Hearns, young Hopkins. I think Calzaghe has still had a lot of heart because he still has great stamina, and he hasn't faced a guy with his athleticism and who is in any semblence of their prime.

I think the biggest factor besides Chad Dawson's size and speed is his mentality. Because he likes to actually fight not just box. Hopkins and JOnes have become such virtuoso fighters that they don't like to mix it up, and in Jones' case he never has. Chad Dawson will trade shots, he will risk being hit to go to the body. I think Kessler was more like this to a degree, but he just didn't quite of the speed or skill to capatalize and get out of the way, and I saw Kessler be broken down mentally by Calzaghe, yet Dawson didn't get broken down by Glen Johnson, he stayed in it mentaly, he kept firing back, but not just winging punches like Mikkel, but staying focused and punching straight, and changing it up. When Kessler got desperate he just started throwing one two's.

ICB you mentioned Viet and Brewer, but speed and skill are huge factors. You can be a big guy and be terrible, it obviously matters who has that size advantage. Brewer was slow and not that good. Viet wasn't fast or very good either. Also Chad Dawson is a filled out 6'3 unlike Viet. Its like comparing Robinson and Antonion Margarito in terms of athleticism. They were both 5'11 and welterweights, but Robinson was a whole different kind of 5'11 type fighter. Chad used to be a middleweight, but now he is a big LHW.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

What about them?

I didn't see Calzaghe countering hurtful coutners on Jones who didn''t really throw anything. Dawson will land just as many punches on Calzaghe as would be landed on him. A much tougher chin'ed Glen Johnson who also hits harder was going to war with Chad Dawson. I honeslty have never seen Joe in that sort of fight not even against Kessler. Chad Dawson abandoned defense to put on a show, it was a great fight. You guys are questioning his will to win, when Glen Johnson in that form would have given CAlzaghe one hell of a fight. The reason I don't think Johnson is quite as dangerous for Calzaghe is that he isn't as fast as Dawson, he's easier to hit, and Calzaghe would outbox him IMO. Dawson could have as well, but he chose not to. I think Dawson would be able to hit Calzaghe at will just like Hopkins was able to, before he got tired, and once again after he got his rest. Just like Roy was able to, whenever he actually threw punches.

Once again Chad Dawson is on the top level IMO, and he's so big, and so fast, and so good. That is why is a great matchup

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If Calzaghe still fights on then he has to fight Dawson IMO, that is the fight that makes more sense than anyother fight now for me.

I'm just not 100% sold on Dawson yet, i'm not saying he isn't one of the best about, he just has to do a bit more for me to make my mind up on weather he is the real deal or just another hyped up Us fighter. Granted he looked great against Tarver but every fcking time he threw a punch Tarver stood there rooted to the spot not moving until he was finished throwing however many punches he wanted.

Johnson on the otherhand, a freaking journeyman came very very close to beating him, so i'm not sure if a fighter who comes at him and has good movment and great skill would cause him fits, or weather he figured johnson to be a journeyman and wasnt realy ready.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'll concede BCD would be the most difficult fight for Calzaghe right now. I still would favor Calzaghe.

If Calzaghe had three fights in him, from a financial, risk, and legacy standpoint, I'd take these fights in a location to be determined (not in particular order):
    1. Jermain Taylor v. Carl Froch winner in March. Fight in Vegas if Taylor wins and in London if Froch wins.
    2. Assuming he stays unbeaten until next summer, BCD in Wales. Make a cool 10-15 million.
    3. Abraham v. Pavlik winner. In Germany if Abraham wins and in Vegas in Pavlik wins.
    Because BCD is the most difficult fight for Calzaghe, and of the above fighters probably has the least name recognition, from a risk/reward standpoint, I'm not sure it makes the most sense to test those waters as of yet, when Calzaghe could milk the cow a little longer.

Jermain has a big name and assuming he beats Froch, he would be somewhat redeemed from the Pavlik loss. A lot of money and I think Calzaghe easily wins. If Froch beats Jermain, a match with Calzaghe would be a big deal in the UK.

Abraham v. Pavlik. Both have big names in their respective countries and both would be relatively easy wins for Calzaghe. Additionally, beating a prime unified middleweight champion of the world is a big accomplishment.

He could very well walk away from those three fights 50 million dollars richer. Mad loot son.

ICB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Preme View Post
    If Calzaghe still fights on then he has to fight Dawson IMO, that is the fight that makes more sense than anyother fight now for me.

I'm just not 100% sold on Dawson yet, i'm not saying he isn't one of the best about, he just has to do a bit more for me to make my mind up on weather he is the real deal or just another hyped up Us fighter. Granted he looked great against Tarver but every fcking time he threw a punch Tarver stood there rooted to the spot not moving until he was finished throwing however many punches he wanted.

Johnson on the otherhand, a freaking journeyman came very very close to beating him, so i'm not sure if a fighter who comes at him and has good movment and great skill would cause him fits, or weather he figured johnson to be a journeyman and wasnt realy ready.
    Why do you keep calling Glen Johnson a journeyman ? when i and other members have gave you long explanations why he isn't one. Watch more of his fights or learn/read up about him, because your really showing how limited your boxing knowledge is keep calling him a journeyman. Im sick of having to keep explaining this all the time it makes me want to neg rep you. Because your not willing to learn.

Mentioned
    208 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I like to see big punchers an all but when someone puts as much effort and work in to attering the other bloke all round the ring as Joe does it makes up for it.

For all Joes week punching no one has been able to walk through em, Hopkins did a hell of a lot more against Pavlik than he did against Joe even though Pavlik hits harder because he knew if he opened up he wouldnt live with Joes output.

I watched the Dawson Tarver fight and if Joe still feels fine and has a desire to once again prove himself, then id say go for it, Dawson has little naps, stops working altogether and goes for a wander, he wouldnt get away with that with Joe and he certainly wouldnt get the time to work that Tarver gave him, hed end up like everyone else, in a shell because of Joes workrate catching him over and over.

Its gotta be very frustrating for any fighter having Joe Calzaghe punching right back after evrything they throw and then pouring it on when you dont.

Imagine youself in the ring facing Calzaghe, opening up to throw and then having to eat 3 or 4 shots, even if they arent powerfull it puts you off punching and any big effort you put in is rewarded by a bigger effort from Joe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

For a guy who don't throw nothing but slaps, he sure shuts the oppositions offence down quite well. Tarver didn't have the speed to match dawson and i'm not sure if calzaghe will either, but joe needs this fight to finish off his career. If he beats a prime fighter who other fighters think is future p4p great, then there can be no questions about his opposition. Look how hopkins stock just rose by beating pavlik convincingly.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Who has knocked out Tarver? A guy who has faced all the best light heavyweights of the last decade excluding Calzaghe.

Also you haven't seen a heart like Calzaghe's? What about Holyfield, Robinson, Frazier, Ali, Leonard, Duran, Hagler, Hearns, young Hopkins. I think Calzaghe has still had a lot of heart because he still has great stamina, and he hasn't faced a guy with his athleticism and who is in any semblence of their prime.

I think the biggest factor besides Chad Dawson's size and speed is his mentality. Because he likes to actually fight not just box. Hopkins and JOnes have become such virtuoso fighters that they don't like to mix it up, and in Jones' case he never has. Chad Dawson will trade shots, he will risk being hit to go to the body. I think Kessler was more like this to a degree, but he just didn't quite of the speed or skill to capatalize and get out of the way, and I saw Kessler be broken down mentally by Calzaghe, yet Dawson didn't get broken down by Glen Johnson, he stayed in it mentaly, he kept firing back, but not just winging punches like Mikkel, but staying focused and punching straight, and changing it up. When Kessler got desperate he just started throwing one two's.

ICB you mentioned Viet and Brewer, but speed and skill are huge factors. You can be a big guy and be terrible, it obviously matters who has that size advantage. Brewer was slow and not that good. Viet wasn't fast or very good either. Also Chad Dawson is a filled out 6'3 unlike Viet. Its like comparing Robinson and Antonion Margarito in terms of athleticism. They were both 5'11 and welterweights, but Robinson was a whole different kind of 5'11 type fighter. Chad used to be a middleweight, but now he is a big LHW.
    Personally, I hope your right, if that's the case, Chad Dawson will make for exciting matchups in the future. And Gawd knows we need more excitement in Boxing today!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ross View Post
    I like to see big punchers an all but when someone puts as much effort and work in to attering the other bloke all round the ring as Joe does it makes up for it.

For all Joes week punching no one has been able to walk through em, Hopkins did a hell of a lot more against Pavlik than he did against Joe even though Pavlik hits harder because he knew if he opened up he wouldnt live with Joes output.

I watched the Dawson Tarver fight and if Joe still feels fine and has a desire to once again prove himself, then id say go for it, Dawson has little naps, stops working altogether and goes for a wander, he wouldnt get away with that with Joe and he certainly wouldnt get the time to work that Tarver gave him, hed end up like everyone else, in a shell because of Joes workrate catching him over and over.

Its gotta be very frustrating for any fighter having Joe Calzaghe punching right back after evrything they throw and then pouring it on when you dont.

Imagine youself in the ring facing Calzaghe, opening up to throw and then having to eat 3 or 4 shots, even if they arent powerfull it puts you off punching and any big effort you put in is rewarded by a bigger effort from Joe.
    You saw Roy Jones take naps in easy fights, same with Mayweather. IT happens the fact that his fight with Tarver was that easy is saying something. You didn't see Mayweather take a nap against Corrales for one second yet in the fight before that against Emanuel Augustus he didn't seem overly focused.

Chad Dawson was sharp all the way through againt Glen Johnson, I just think he Meldrick Taylor'ed it a bit too much.

Also I didn't see Calzaghe punching back everytime against Hopkins, I think he had a lot of difficulties when Hopkins was moving. Hopkins was able to dictate the pace until he slowed down. Hopkins also slowed down against Pavlik, but the difference wasn't in anything, but Calzaghe's speed, he was was faster, and he could get in and out faster than Pavlik. It tires you out when a guy is moving in so quickly, you have to react more radically and thus it takes much more out of you.

Mentioned
    208 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

[ It tires you out when a guy is moving in so quickly.
    Exactly

Thread Information