Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why Chad Dawson is the most dangerous opponent Calzaghe would have faced.

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Why Chad Dawson is the most dangerous opponent Calzaghe would have faced.

Here is why I think Chad Dawson would be the most dangerous and perhaps best fighter at the point of their career Cazlaghe would have faced them.

I love Roy JOnes Jr and Bernard Hopkins, but they don't fight the way they used to.
    Bernard is incredibly smart, he is nearly impossible to hit cleanly and even harder to hurt, he counters exceptionally well. Roy Jones still has good handspeed, hard to hit cleanly, but doesn't get off.

Chad Dawson is the fastest man this side of Andre Berto. He throws combinations that remind me of younger Roy Jones Jr both with his speed and inventiveness, he doesn't just shoe shine or throw a million hooks, he'll mixes it up better than I've seen in a few years. He goes to the body really well, which nobody has really done on Calzaghe, and unlike Hopkins(this version), Roy Jones(any version), and Mikkel Kesser, Chad loves to go to war, watch him against Glen Johnson he will stand right in there, which is something that has always done fighters good against Calzaghe.

The biggest things that Chad Dawson has that I think present Calzaghe with more problems then anyone else could bring is that
    1) His right uppercut is his key punch, and Calzaghe has always been wide open for it. Nobody has had this type of uppercut and the speed to land it like Dawson does.
    2) His speed... and power, Roy could only throw one punch at a time in most cases, and it was largely without any snap on the end of his punches, he wasn't following through at all. Dawson still has that snap, and he throws combinations. He might not have that one punch knockout power, but Roy Jones and Bernard couldn't punch their way out of a geriatric clinic these days, and they both dropped and hurt Calzaghe in their respective fights.
    3) Size: Chad Dawson is 6'3 with long arms. He loves the throw that jab which as a southpaw I don't think Calzaghe has delt with in his career.

All in all I think this is pretty much as close to a toss as Calzaghe could have. I think this fight would be much tougher for Calzaghe than Hopkins because it would be more than just technically tough it would be physically tough as well.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Why Chad Dawson is the most dangerous opponent Calzaghe would have faced.

..cause chad is good now, not was good 6 years ago.
    Hidden Content Click clack ! Give up the purse.........or yetti will find you.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Why Chad Dawson is the most dangerous opponent Calzaghe would have faced.

Upppercut?

Did you fucken see the one Kess landed on Joe?
    Nearly took his fucken head off and Joe kept fighting back like nothing had happened.

Kess has far more power then BCD.

I def. see and understand all that your saying but it doesn't add up to me and just doesn't sound like something BCD will do.

Here's why, you are completely overlooking the fact that BCD takes rounds off, BCD goes in the high guard stance and lets opponents take free shots, BCD goes to the ropes and stands there.

All those things are exactly what Joe needs his opponents to do in order for him to win.

Like I said time and time again, biggest BCD fan here and if the fight happens I'll be rooting for him. But I give the adv. to Joe...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Joe always adapts and finds gaps, you wont catch him with the same shot repeatedly, he will take that away from you by tagging you when you try it again.

He has fantastic stamina and workrate even in his late 30's

He still has a good chin, his powers of recovery are very impressive.

Joe is mostly an inside fighter and he would get past a long jab because you won't hit him with it as often as you threw it, you would eat a flurry of five punches for trying it.

I really want this fight to happen. I want to see what people say next, who he should fight next, who else will give him trouble etc..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by CutMeMick View Post
    Upppercut?

Nearly took his fucken head off and Joe kept fighting back like nothing had happened.

Like this one

Super Middleweight also acknowledge as Kessler's Kingdom when Calzaghe has retire

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by jangeorg View Post
    Upppercut?

Like this one

Some serious power behind that, great shot.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Upppercut?

Like this one

precisely...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Upppercut?

I def. see and understand all that your saying but it doesn't add up to me and just doesn't sound like something BCD will do.

Here's why, you are completely overlooking the fact that BCD takes rounds off, BCD goes in the high guard stance and lets opponents take free shots, BCD goes to the ropes and stands there.

All those things are exactly what Joe needs his opponents to do in order for him to win.

Like I said time and time again, biggest BCD fan here and if the fight happens I'll be rooting for him. But I give the adv. to Joe...

Maybe you should watch Chad Dawson. When he uses his high guard he always uses lateral movement to stay OFF the ropes. Watch him against Glen Johnson. And in that fight the only time he has actually been hurt (not caught off balance) he recovered and came right back at Johnson in the same round. Thats the heart nobody else showed against Calzaghe. Kessler has never shown more power, or are you talking about the comparable cream puffs besides Calzaghe? Kessler throws a good uppercut, but its not his key punch, his key punches are his left jab and his left hook, he also has a really good cross. He doesn't have elite speed, he's very quick, but not like Calzaghe or Dawson which is a key point because he couldn't deal with Calzaghe's speed first and foremost.

Markus Beyer?,A green Anthony Mundine?, Eric Lucas?, Librado Andrade? Sorry I love KEssler and I think he is a great fighter, but his resume leaves a lot to be desired when you compare it to Tarver, Harding, Johnson, Adamek. Once again Kessler besides Calzaghe hasn't foughten ONE guy on that level, and Chad Dawson fought all four of them, and beat three of them in as dominating fashion as anyone.

Once again back to the Kessler thing, the key point is that he landed maybe 3 or 4 uppercuts that whole fight, Chad Dawson because he is quite a bit taller, because he is much faster then Kessler, and because that uppercut is his butter punch he would throw it more, and he would land it more, he is more accurate than Kessler, he throws way better combinations, and he has a longer reach. He's two inches taller, he has 3 1/2 inches of reach on Kessler, he is not only faster then Kessler, but then Joe as well which is something Joe hasn't delt with from honest competition since his amateurs and he had difficulties back then with quicker opponents.

The people I did compare his power to were Hopkins and Jones because they were able to, along with Kessler land pretty much as long as they punched. Now Dawson has been in his tough fight, Kessler never had to dig deep like fighting a Glen Johnson before he faced Calzaghe. I think it was to his detriment.

You are also forgetting Chad has been vastly improving every fight, he has been progressively taking less and less rounds "off", he's only been hit by Glen Johnson because he was focusing on trading punches than defense. I am saying that he has proven himself better than the old guard at light heavyweight, he is an honest challenge for Calzaghe.

I am definitely not saying he will win, it would be foolish to do so, but given his speed, his heart, his athletic qualities, his technical qualities, his size, I can't see him being less than a 50/50 bet against Joe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Kel View Post
    Joe always adapts and finds gaps, you wont catch him with the same shot repeatedly, he will take that away from you by tagging you when you try it again.

Joe is mostly an inside fighter and he would get past a long jab because you won't hit him with it as often as you threw it, you would eat a flurry of five punches for trying it.

I really want this fight to happen. I want to see what people say next, who he should fight next, who else will give him trouble etc..
    Jones landed his right hand plenty, and when he didn't Calzaghe wasn't able to retaliate immediately. You are forgetting that Chad is faster than anything Calzaghe has ever faced. Calzaghe won't be countering him effectively, Roy wasn't being countered by Calzaghe very effectively, and Joe hit him about a thousand times on his gloves, but Roy wouldn't punch back, we saw the same thing against Glen Johnson, but where Roy didn't punch back or use footwork to create space against Johnson, Dawson did both, and fought a very close fight with a guy who KO'ed Roy, and beat him worse than Calzaghe did. Also Roy doesn't ahve snap left on his punches anymore so Calzaghe didn't respect them. Kessler didn't have the speed or unorthodoxy to catch Calzaghe with something he wouldn't see coming. Dawson has all these qualities to make this a great fight. If he was a little rougher he would be the carbon copy of a guy who is the exact wrong match up for Joe. Bigger, faster, punches straighter. I never said these things about Roy except faster and punches straight, I knew his punch was gone before he ever faced Calzaghe. I never expected Hopkins to knock him down, and hurt Calzaghe several times down the stretch.

All in all if you think Joe will have an easy time getting on the inside of a guy like Chad your wrong, Joe hasn't delt with a very skilled southpaw in his entire career, and he wouldn't be used to that jab.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Taeth View Post
    Maybe you should watch Chad Dawson.

I stopped reading up to that point.

Taeth, get the hell out of here with that...

Let me know which BCD fight you haven't seen I'll gladly burn it for you with a menu and all.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Obviously you haven't if you are pulling the crap you are. Or maybe you haven't seen Kessler because he definitely isn't a heavier puncher than Chad Dawson.

I have one thing to say Floyd Mayweather Jr is hailing this guy as the best p4p fighter on the planet. He has no reason to, I haven't heard of some great comeradery between the two, this kid deserves to be in the top 10 p4p, and he definitely gives Calzaghe the most honest competition in his career.

Calzaghe has never faced a guy of this caliber in his prime or near it. Kessler is a great fighter, but you wait 3-4 years and we will see who is sitting where on the p4p chart.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Upppercut?

Like this one

Joe doesn't seem to be coming forward like nothing has happened Joe was hurt a few times in this fight Joe is 46-0 he isn't bloody superman.
    Last edited by Tysonbruno; 11-19-2008 at 08:28 AM.

ICB Guest

Robin Reid caught Joe Calzaghe constantly with straight right hands, and Joe Calzaghe couldn't adjust. Not that it matters against Chad Dawson because he is a Southpaw but still.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by leftylee number 1 groupie View Post

Robin Reid caught Joe Calzaghe constantly with straight right hands, and Joe Calzaghe couldn't adjust. Not that it matters against Chad Dawson because he is a Southpaw but still.
    He wasn't as experienced/smart back then.. and didn't show the same confidence.. and had the broken hand, which couldn't have helped his concentration
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

ICB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Fenster View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by leftylee number 1 groupie View Post

He wasn't as experienced/smart back then.. and didn't show the same confidence.. and had the broken hand, which couldn't have helped his concentration
    What about against Richie Woodhall/Bernard Hopkins ? im not dissing Joe Calzaghe here. But i disagree with Kel's comment that Joe Calzaghe can't be caught with the same shot over and over when he clearly can.

But like i said this is all a moot point anyway because Chad Dawson is a Southpaw, but i would like to see Chad Dawson work Joe Calzaghe's body. Chad Dawson is a good body puncher especially once he gets going with his combinations.

And it would be interesting to see how Joe Calzaghe would cope, because he's never really been tested to the body before.

Thread Information