Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Starting a Stretching Routine

Hey Scrap...I did a little digging through links. I would like for someone to teach me the around the back uppercut! plzk tnx.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Youngblood View Post
    Hey Scrap...I did a little digging through links. I would like for someone to teach me the around the back uppercut! plzk tnx.
    I remember that one. You just need to be flexible in your shoulders, and cheeky enough to want to pull it off.
    If you hear a voice within you saying that I am not a painter, then by all means paint and that voice will be silenced.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap View Post
    It doesnt, it contracts them.
    As long as you don't pull yourself up, no muscle is contracting. I just hang, and I actually feel the muscles stretching. The only contracting muscles are in my hands so I keep hanging.
    Last edited by RDJ; 11-28-2008 at 05:37 PM.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Oh yes they are, the Body works All or Nothing they have to to much stress
    Pain lasts a only a minute, but the memory will last forever....

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Whats the back uppercut YB?
    "There are no ordinary moments"

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Nagel View Post
    I remember that one. You just need to be flexible in your shoulders, and cheeky enough to want to pull it off.
    This post got me thinking, as I seem to have a lot of time for it these days. I've done a considerable amount of strengthening in my shoulder areas recently. I'm not sure if I have done the right amount of stretching to go along with it.

So what are thoughts on stetching to loosen up in a situation where it is in way, post strengthening. I've rewatched video of my last fight, and one thing I notice is my shoulders do in fact seem stiff, a bit square at times.

Maybe recommended stretches to undo tightness? Thoughts?

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Theres qiute a few, plus they make you stronger. Busy with things at the moment, these things need vidioing.
    Pain lasts a only a minute, but the memory will last forever....

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Salty View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpxEKWVv3gA
    This post got me thinking, as I seem to have a lot of time for it these days. I've done a considerable amount of strengthening in my shoulder areas recently. I'm not sure if I have done the right amount of stretching to go along with it.

So what are thoughts on stetching to loosen up in a situation where it is in way, post strengthening. I've rewatched video of my last fight, and one thing I notice is my shoulders do in fact seem stiff, a bit square at times.

Strength training without stretching can easily lead to muscle tightness. There's a lot of shoulder loosening up exercises that you can do before your boxing/strength training. Check out Scrap's stretch program, there are several good stretches using a fit ball and broom stick that doesn't take much time to do. I think that having a comprehensive stretch routine that you do a few times each week will have the most benefit.

By the way, if you're still interested in that back uppercut, be sure to stretch the back of your shoulder as well as your chest. I suppose you'd want to try it on them when they're leaning up against your left shoulder, as it'd be very surprising because they don't expect to get hit with anything, then be sure to follow up with something to take advantage of the moment of their disbelief.
    If you hear a voice within you saying that I am not a painter, then by all means paint and that voice will be silenced.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Salty View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpxEKWVv3gA

Strength training without stretching can easily lead to muscle tightness. There's a lot of shoulder loosening up exercises that you can do before your boxing/strength training. Check out Scrap's stretch program, there are several good stretches using a fit ball and broom stick that doesn't take much time to do. I think that having a comprehensive stretch routine that you do a few times each week will have the most benefit.

By the way, if you're still interested in that back uppercut, be sure to stretch the back of your shoulder as well as your chest. I suppose you'd want to try it on them when they're leaning up against your left shoulder, as it'd be very surprising because they don't expect to get hit with anything, then be sure to follow up with something to take advantage of the moment of their disbelief.
    Only like a 3 sec clip...but u get the feeling the dude who got hit said, "Okay...whatever that was, just stop it."

Yea, I do feel and see the tightness I believe, and now I have the time going to focus a lot more on stretching. Think I need to get untightened, paying firstly attention to the prob. area, and then into a better routine with it overall. I do stretch, always...but in doing so much with so many fights so close, it was an area I think got neglected. Thanks Chris, been going through vids.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Your basic stretches

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Red face Re: Starting a Stretching Routine

I've been doing well with my basic stretch program that I've been doing. I'll start incorporating the fit ball stretches into my routine. They're not as easy as they look as it takes a lot of coordination to do them.

I'll also see about getting elastic cords so I can begin practicing many the other drills that Scrap has shared. There's so much that I have to look forward to, and I can't wait for Scrap to get some more vids up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Believe it or not there are a few here which would not be very appropriate for someone like who is prone to incorrect posture. I have been warned off certain stretches by my chiro.

The first one I can be prone to arching my back while doing it which doesn't even allow me to feel a good quad stretch.

This second one i like but i tend to find i need to do it with my arm bent a a right angle on a door frame so my whole forearm is supported vertically against the doorframe. I start facing the same direction as my palm and move my feet a little slowly so to face away from my hand so that i target my chest rather than twist my back.

These two i'd be prone to placing too much pressure on my lower back. As you can see in these pictures it's very easy to hunch your back over while doing them in an effort to you try to stretch your leg more. I'm banned from these completely.

To get into my calves i find just standing on a curb and letting my heel drop in a controlled way is the easiest way to target my calves without hurting my back.

Also lying on my back and using a stretch band or a skipping rope or a towel works well.

For my birthday I ordered myself a new stretching book:

Facilitated Stretching Third Edition - PNF stretching and strengthening made easy by Robert E. McAtee and Jeff Charland.

I have had time to look through it thoroughly but it came with a DVD which I have watched and it does include a few good ones which stretched a few things I haven't succeeded in targeting properly before.

I'd recommend borrowing it if you can ge hold of it Chris - I think it was published somewhere in the USA and is meant to be a reference for rehab nurses etc so it wouldn't suprise me if you could find it available in a public library somewhere either just a general library or a uni library.

Once i've had more time to study it i might be able to put my new favourites up here.
    Last edited by Sharla; 12-06-2008 at 01:32 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Something else I don't understand but am looking into now for my own benefit is stretching order.

I found this:

Quite often, when we perform a particular stretch, it actually stretches more than one group of muscles: the muscles that the stretch is primarily intended for, and other supporting muscles that are also stretched but which do not receive the "brunt" of the stretch. These supporting muscles usually function as synergists for the muscles being stretched (see section Cooperating Muscle Groups). This is the basis behind a principle that SynerStretch calls the interdependency of muscle groups. Before performing a stretch intended for a particular muscle, but which actually stretches several muscles, you should first stretch each of that muscle's synergists. The benefit of this is that you are able to better stretch the primary muscles by not allowing the supporting muscles the opportunity to be a limiting factor in how "good" a stretch you can attain for a particular exercise.

This is the website it came from:
    Exercise Order | Stretching

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Sharla View Post
    Something else I don't understand but am looking into now for my own benefit is stretching order.

I found this:

Quite often, when we perform a particular stretch, it actually stretches more than one group of muscles: the muscles that the stretch is primarily intended for, and other supporting muscles that are also stretched but which do not receive the "brunt" of the stretch. These supporting muscles usually function as synergists for the muscles being stretched (see section Cooperating Muscle Groups). This is the basis behind a principle that SynerStretch calls the interdependency of muscle groups. Before performing a stretch intended for a particular muscle, but which actually stretches several muscles, you should first stretch each of that muscle's synergists. The benefit of this is that you are able to better stretch the primary muscles by not allowing the supporting muscles the opportunity to be a limiting factor in how "good" a stretch you can attain for a particular exercise.

This is the website it came from:
    Exercise Order | Stretching
    I can see this actually,I have extremely tight hamstrings and relatively serious shoulder damage. So stretching those parts out BEFORE I go over to my basic stretches would be advantageous

Thread Information