Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What do you think of James Kirkland ?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: What do you think of James Kirkland ?

I agree with the comment on Angulo...that guy is a beast and would have his way with Kirkland at this point.....

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

As I have stated before in the past, I love watching Kirkland fight, he is exciting to watch, that's for sure, but I have also said that he really needs to shore up his defense big time.

He also needs to learn to calm down in the ring. I think the just loves to fight so much, and just wants to get in there, and cause some pain, that he gets over excited, and forgets his fundamentals.

I think taking Anne out completely, would be a mistake. Both of them had a bad upbringing, and James feels comfortable with her, and trusts her because of their similar backgrounds. Sergio talked to him a lot when they were sparring, and he told me that Kirkland doesn't trust anybody but Anne and Pops, so I think switching trainers all together would not be a good thing for him mentally. But I agree with Killface that maybe they can bring someone else in to teach him the things he needs, to take it to the next level.

If he learns to settle down, pace himself, and shore up that defense, he can make some major noise at 154.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

he's good but angulo is the better prospect

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Diane View Post
    As I have stated before in the past, I love watching Kirkland fight, he is exciting to watch, that's for sure, but I have also said that he really needs to shore up his defense big time.

He also needs to learn to calm down in the ring. I think the just loves to fight so much, and just wants to get in there, and cause some pain, that he gets over excited, and forgets his fundamentals.

I think taking Anne out completely, would be a mistake. Both of them had a bad upbringing, and James feels comfortable with her, and trusts her because of their similar backgrounds. Sergio talked to him a lot when they were sparring, and he told me that Kirkland doesn't trust anybody but Anne and Pops, so I think switching trainers all together would not be a good thing for him mentally. But I agree with Killface that maybe they can bring someone else in to teach him the things he needs, to take it to the next level.

If he learns to settle down, pace himself, and shore up that defense, he can make some major noise at 154.
    I agree with that mostly,but I dont think they need somebody to teach him much new,they need somebody to get him to hunker down and focus.when they get him fighting like Ann does,he looks damned fine,when he loses his focus in there,is where it gets worrying. For all intents and purposes,what they really need is a motivational speaker to keep him focused.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Trainer Monkey View Post

I agree with that mostly,but I dont think they need somebody to teach him much new,they need somebody to get him to hunker down and focus.when they get him fighting like Ann does,he looks damned fine,when he loses his focus in there,is where it gets worrying. For all intents and purposes,what they really need is a motivational speaker to keep him focused.
    I don't agree, he's not Anne and doesn't have the stamina to maintain the pace if he was fighting like Anne. He needs to learn to use his jab more and not get out of control.
    For every story told that divides us, I believe there are a thousand untold that unite us.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by killersheep View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainer Monkey View Post

I don't agree, he's not Anne and doesn't have the stamina to maintain the pace if he was fighting like Anne. He needs to learn to use his jab more and not get out of control.
    Disagree going the other way,he's a little short for his weight,he needs to close distance,few fighters close like Wolfe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Killface View Post
    I agree with you here, I think Wolfe has done a great job of making him tough, but now he needs to learn more fundamental skills. Someday he's going to run into someone with a chin like Vera's but actually has a slight level of boxing ability and that spells trouble for him. He is an exciting fighter though and I think he is in a division where he could do some damage even as he stands now. His stamina ultimately will be his downfall though.
    I think his stamina is typically good, but not for this fight. He needs to keep Wolfe. Just like with Jermain Taylor, you could bring in a better trainer and get a worse result. He and Wolfe are very close, like siblings and I think far more harm would be done to his progress if she weren't around. Bring in someone who knows what she doesn't to teach him and I guarantee you the Junior Middleweight division will have a monster on its hands. And then the Middleweight division.
    I think Sergio Martinez would pick apart and decimate Kirkland, I'm excited with the influx of good fighters emerging at 154. I understand what you are saying about a new trainer, but don't you feel Kirkland has learned what he can from Wolfe?
    He came up in large part with Wolfe, both of them being trained by the same person before she took the reigns. He probably knows everything she would tell him to do backwards and forwards. I'm talking about what her absence would do to him psychologically. Some guys do worse with a better trainer because they just don't gel right. Like Jermain Taylor and Emmanuel Steward. Does anyone think Manny wasn't better than the trainer Taylor went back to? Kirkland has a deep respect with Wolfe that probably wouldn't be there the same way with a new trainer and he wouldn't train right and wouldn't respond the way a new trainer would want him to.
    Oops

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If Kirkland had to switch trainers the one person I can think of who could make it work is Floyd Mayweather Sr. Now I'm not saying it would work out, but the best chance for success would be there. Also, Sr. as his trainer would probably be the most likely to explode. Mayweather would shore up his defense and that mouth would be running non-stop until Kirkland heard it in his sleep. There wouldn't be any way for him to forget his fundamentals. The problem would lie in Kirkland being able to set his ego aside to do what he's told, but I don't know how problematic that would be for a guy who trains by chasing a heavybag attached to a moving truck or wrestling out of the grip of several guys in the ring.
    Oops

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If Kirkland had to switch trainers the one person I can think of who could make it work is Floyd Mayweather Sr. Now I'm not saying it would work out, but the best chance for success would be there. Also, Sr. as his trainer would probably be the most likely to explode. Mayweather would shore up his defense and that mouth would be running non-stop until Kirkland heard it in his sleep. There wouldn't be any way for him to forget his fundamentals. The problem would lie in Kirkland being able to set his ego aside to do what he's told, but I don't know how problematic that would be for a guy who trains by chasing a heavybag attached to a moving truck or wrestling out of the grip of several guys in the ring.
    Your point (and Trainer Monkey's) about keeping Wolfe as a trainer are well taken and I have been convinced by them. That being said, I still believe he is at a point in his skill level where he is on the verge of being phenomenal and with Wolfe alone he won't be able to get over the line.
    For every story told that divides us, I believe there are a thousand untold that unite us.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Your point (and Trainer Monkey's) about keeping Wolfe as a trainer are well taken and I have been convinced by them. That being said, I still believe he is at a point in his skill level where he is on the verge of being phenomenal and with Wolfe alone he won't be able to get over the line.
    And I more or less agreed with it,they need a second in the corner to keep the kid focused on doing his work in there

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Kirkland got determination, speed and power but careless sometimes. His work rate is good but needs improvement on defensive side.Fighters like Angulo will give him some problems if he doesn't improve on his defense.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Guys, I think for once we're all in agreement with one another. Any motions to close this thread?
    Oops

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think he had a good learning curve against Vera. We know that hes very fast and powerful, he showed that against Vera, but if he fights against somebody like Vera who i add was limited he found problems. Vera no doubt had a good chin, and his defence was weak. At times when he applied combinations I think that got Kirkland in trouble, im thinking in terms of a decent fighter at 154-160 ie Paul Williams he will get beaten.

Kirkland cant go all out for the ko every second of every round and maybe because it has worked for him in the past its going to be hard for him to change this. Vera proved that he will gas out in the later rounds, a fighter like williams would be able to take what he has and finish him off. Kirkland needs to box more and think about his shots more than simply just throwing them at a very high tempo.

No doubt Kirkland is a very good prospect, but I just cant see him being able to use his tactics in the championship level. If he makes a few changes, we will see him champion late 09 IMO.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He's a good prospect with a few slight changes he could be alot better! every exciting fighter to watch.

Thread Information