one dangerous horrible bloke

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Mikkel "The Viking Warrior" Kessler

With Calzaghe out of the picture at 168 Kess would be the favorite in all matches that would mean anything IMO.

Kess vs. Bute - Bute would never get in range to hold and would get outboxed perhaps even a late TKO.

Kess vs. Froch - Kessler would easily outbox Froch, Froch did show a great chin against Pascal though UD for Kess

Kess vs. Taylor - No reason for Jermain to not get fired up for this one, I fully expect JT to be pumping the jab and trying to turn Mikkel, IF Kessler cannot adapt to this Taylor takes it. I have to assume Team Kessler will figure this strategy out and change footwork to take a close decision.

Kess vs. Pavlik - I think Kessler would be able to consistantly beat Pavlik to the punch nullifying any meaningful attack. Kess wide UD.

stylewise IMO Taylor has the best chance, but if I were a betting man
    my money would still be on Kessler.

Noone here has mentioned the true man that will defeat Kessler: Mogens Palle, he will undermatch and overprotect his fighter to obscurity and irrelavance.
    For every story told that divides us, I believe there are a thousand untold that unite us.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by jangeorg View Post

Who can beat him
    Nobody. Cuz he ain't been fighting anybody good. He's been facing crap fighters

Quote Originally Posted by CutMeMick View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DaxxKahn View Post
    Depending on what version of Taylor shows up....
    I agree...

Quote Originally Posted by Nonito Donaire View Post
    I think Jermain Taylor has looked pretty good in his last 2 fights, i think he matches up quite well with Mikkel Kessler.
    You think he looked good in his last 2 fights...

He was out hustled vs. Pav in the rematch, yes he went the distance this time but still I wouldn't consider that a good performance considering he lost.

Then he fought Lacy in one of the more boring fights of last year. A fight which he was dropped but the ref. called it a slip and JT was hurt. Let's be honest here Lacy is not the hardest boxer to outbox.

I personally would say JT looked OK vs. Lacy he was working his jab and connecting with some good shots.
    You serious? I actually thought it was a pretty entertaining fight. And I didn't consider that to be a knock down.

ICB Guest

I agree...

I think Jermain Taylor has looked pretty good in his last 2 fights, i think he matches up quite well with Mikkel Kessler.

He was out hustled vs. Pav in the rematch, yes he went the distance this time but still I wouldn't consider that a good performance considering he lost.

Then he fought Lacy in one of the more boring fights of last year. A fight which he was dropped but the ref. called it a slip and JT was hurt. Let's be honest here Lacy is not the hardest boxer to outbox.

I personally would say JT looked OK vs. Lacy he was working his jab and connecting with some good shots.

It would be a tactical battle, and i could see him outboxing the much more robotic and stiff Mikkel Kessler.
    Kessler stiff & robotic? Really? Since when?

Last I checked Kess was considered a good boxer with angles and good combinations, good foot movement in the ring and a very good jab.
    Yes i do think Jermain Taylor looked good in his last two fights, when he fought Kelly Pavlik. In there 2nd fight thats the best Jermain Taylor has ever looked in any of his championship fights. He threw good combinations and looked sharp.

And also since when can't you look good just because you lose a fight ? i think everyone on this site was impressed with Jermain Taylor against Kelly Pavlik, and i think everyone agrees he looked better than he had in any other of his championship fights.

Roberto did you not see the replay regarding the Jeff Lacy/Jermain Taylor knockdown ? the replay clearly showed it wasn't actually a knockdown, the punch was on JT's shoulder as i remember it.

I don't know how you think Jermain Taylor didn't look good against Jeff Lacy, yes Jeff Lacy isn't one of the best Super Middleweights, but its still a decent win. And Jermain Taylor won almost every round except for 1 round on my card, and he was letting his hands go fine and his combinations looked pretty good to me. And i also agree with VD i didn't find the fight boring at all, let alone one of the most boring fights of the year, i think thats an over the top comment.

And yes Mikkel Kessler is robotic and stiff how can you say he isn't ? he is a very good fighter with good skills and a good jab, but he is a typical European fighter who stands straight up, and is stiff in his upper body movement. And robotic like similar to Kelly Pavlik but not quite like that.
    Last edited by ICB; 01-06-2009 at 12:14 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I used to like Kessler quite a bit,but since he hurt his hand before the Calzeghe fight, he doesnt look right.
    I dont know if he cant get over being overworked by Joe, and cant get his confidence back, or if the hand never healed right.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I agree...

It would be a tactical battle, and i could see him outboxing the much more robotic and stiff Mikkel Kessler.

Last I checked Kess was considered a good boxer with angles and good combinations, good foot movement in the ring and a very good jab.
    Yes i do think Jermain Taylor looked good in his last two fights, when he fought Kelly Pavlik. In there 2nd fight thats the best Jermain Taylor has ever looked in any of his championship fights. He threw good combinations and looked sharp.

And also since when can't you look good just because you lose a fight ? i think everyone on this site was impressed with Jermain Taylor against Kelly Pavlik, and i think everyone agrees he looked better than he had in any other of his championship fights.

Roberto did you not see the replay regarding the Jeff Lacy/Jermain Taylor knockdown ? the replay clearly showed it wasn't actually a knockdown, the punch was on JT's shoulder as i remember it.

I don't know how you think Jermain Taylor didn't look good against Jeff Lacy, yes Jeff Lacy isn't one of the best Super Middleweights, but its still a decent win. And Jermain Taylor won almost every round except for 1 round on my card, and he was letting his hands go fine and his combinations looked pretty good to me. And i also agree with VD i didn't find the fight boring at all, let alone one of the most boring fights of the year, i think thats an over the top comment.

And yes Mikkel Kessler is robotic and stiff how can you say he isn't ? he is a very good fighter with good skills and a good jab, but he is a typical European fighter who stands straight up, and is stiff in his upper body movement. And robotic like similar to Kelly Pavlik but not quite like that.
    Kessler doesn't fight like Pavlik at all. That isn't a good comparison.

Kessler may be robotic, but he is fast and fluid. I loved Emmanual Stewart's comment before the Calzaghe fight: "Like Kessler said, Calzaghe may be faster, but he's not THAT much faster."

Kessler fought two gimme fights. No more. He needs international exposure. Unfortunately, given the current economic climate, Kessler may need to take riskier fights for less money than he is used to. Maybe he needs to fight on Versus?

He came to NY to watch Calzaghe and Jones. He called out Bhop. He should fight Bhop at MSG or Atlantic City on HBO. Fighting Bute in Canada on Showtime would help too as would a fight with Jermain in Vegas on HBO. I would also understand a fight with Denis Inkin in Germany for the WB0 strap because it would build his resume although it may not help him obtain international exposure. Dawson at a catchweight of 170 would be interesting, but at 175 Dawson may be too much for Kessler. Or the risk may outweigh the reward. Kessler would dominate Froch and it wouldn't really garner him much exposure that he doesn't already have from British fans because of the media attention he received from the Calzaghe fight.

Kessler fought last at the end of October. He is due to line up a fight soon. Anything less than the following opponents would be disappointing:
    1. Bhop at MSG at 170.
    2. Jermain for the WBA strap in Vegas.
    3. A fight for the IBF and WBA straps with Bute in Montreal.
    4. A fight for the WBO and WBA straps with Inkin in Germany.
    5. Dawson at a catchweight
    6. Some top ten opponent like Allen Green on Versus.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by killersheep View Post
    With Calzaghe out of the picture at 168 Kess would be the favorite in all matches that would mean anything IMO.

Kess vs. Bute - Bute would never get in range to hold and would get outboxed perhaps even a late TKO.

Kess vs. Froch - Kessler would easily outbox Froch, Froch did show a great chin against Pascal though UD for Kess

Kess vs. Taylor - No reason for Jermain to not get fired up for this one, I fully expect JT to be pumping the jab and trying to turn Mikkel, IF Kessler cannot adapt to this Taylor takes it. I have to assume Team Kessler will figure this strategy out and change footwork to take a close decision.

Kess vs. Pavlik - I think Kessler would be able to consistantly beat Pavlik to the punch nullifying any meaningful attack. Kess wide UD.

stylewise IMO Taylor has the best chance, but if I were a betting man
    my money would still be on Kessler.

Noone here has mentioned the true man that will defeat Kessler: Mogens Palle, he will undermatch and overprotect his fighter to obscurity and irrelavance.

Wow this is exactly what I was going to write.

Kessler is a guy I can really like. He's honest, tough, good fighter, strong chin, and presses the action pretty well. I'd watch him more if he had a little more exposure.

I like after the Calz fight he admitted to being hurt by the body shot and almost going down. Any1 remember that? He would have been finished if that wasn't ruled a low blow. stupid ref.

And Kessler is pretty robotic. And I'd say his defense is his weakest point.
    Last edited by JonnyFolds; 01-06-2009 at 02:13 PM.
    "Floyd needs to inject Xylocaine into his balls to gain the courage to fight Pacquiao."

- and I quote from some random guy on the internet

ICB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Rantcatrat View Post
    I agree...

Kessler doesn't fight like Pavlik at all. That isn't a good comparison.

Kessler may be robotic, but he is fast and fluid. I loved Emmanual Stewart's comment before the Calzaghe fight: "Like Kessler said, Calzaghe may be faster, but he's not THAT much faster."

Kessler fought two gimme fights. No more. He needs international exposure. Unfortunately, given the current economic climate, Kessler may need to take riskier fights for less money than he is used to. Maybe he needs to fight on Versus?

He came to NY to watch Calzaghe and Jones. He called out Bhop. He should fight Bhop at MSG or Atlantic City on HBO. Fighting Bute in Canada on Showtime would help too as would a fight with Jermain in Vegas on HBO. I would also understand a fight with Denis Inkin in Germany for the WB0 strap because it would build his resume although it may not help him obtain international exposure. Dawson at a catchweight of 170 would be interesting, but at 175 Dawson may be too much for Kessler. Or the risk may outweigh the reward. Kessler would dominate Froch and it wouldn't really garner him much exposure that he doesn't already have from British fans because of the media attention he received from the Calzaghe fight.

Kessler fought last at the end of October. He is due to line up a fight soon. Anything less than the following opponents would be disappointing:
    1. Bhop at MSG at 170.
    2. Jermain for the WBA strap in Vegas.
    3. A fight for the IBF and WBA straps with Bute in Montreal.
    4. A fight for the WBO and WBA straps with Inkin in Germany.
    5. Dawson at a catchweight
    6. Some top ten opponent like Allen Green on Versus.
    I never said Mikkel Kessler fights like Kelly Pavlik read what i said carefully, i said there both robot like but i said not quite the same. I didn't say they have the same fighting style.

Although i don't think there much different in some attributes, they both rely alot on there jab/right hand although Mikkel Kessler has more variety. Mikkel Kessler clearly has more tools but if you actually think about it, there not a whole lot different.

But the big difference is that Kelly Pavlik is a much more come forward aggressive, and Mikkel Kessler is much more of a boxer but i've seen Mikkel Kessler come forward like Kelly Pavlik before. But there still both robotic there footwork is pretty slow, and they often rely on the same combination, and there defense at times is very leaky.
    Last edited by ICB; 01-06-2009 at 03:34 PM.

Thread Information