Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Question About Heart In Boxing.

Share/Bookmark
    ICB Guest

Default A Question About Heart In Boxing.

I love boxing i really do i love watching it and i love competing in it, but the thing is lately i've questioned my heart for the game. I have got some added responsibilities soon and i've been slacking off regarding going to the boxing gym.

The last sparring session i had was pretty good but the one i had before that was a bit rough. And i noticed i was getting headaches after mostly every sparring session, and i don't want to sound like im blowing my own trumpet.

But im pretty fast and i normally don't get hit with many flush punches, but yet these headaches were occuring after mostly every sparring session. I've had 4 Amateur fights im currently 4-0 and i know this may sound silly.

But i did plan to go to the Olympics one day but i've thought about it lately. And i was just thinking is that what i really want ? i will become a father soon and i have a girl that i love. And do i really want to get hit for a living ?

I know this may sound really cheesey but i am bit concerned about these headaches aswell. So im just wondering should i take a break from boxing for awhile or what ? any advice will be appreciated cheers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: A Question About Heart In Boxing.

Ice if your questioning wether or not you want to hit and get hit,your probably going to get hit more often. You might need a breather

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If you are getting regular headaches from intense sparring, then I'd recommend taking a break from the sparring. It doesn't mean you have to quit training or not show up at the gym...just take a break and give your brain a chance to heal.

I don't think there is any boxer who spars regularly who hasn't had headaches in some form or another. I've had them at one point and they never did clear up until I finally took the much needed break. I probably waited too long in hindsight.

There are all sorts of studies showing the damage we do to our brains with each punch, and furthermore collectively with many punches over time. If you aren't already, get familiar with Traumatic brain injury - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia and it's signs, symptoms and stages. All boxers, coaches and trainers should be well-versed on the subject.

There was a good thread in the main forum with a lot of links, ones I've seen before on head injuries and boxing. There was one I started in here quite a while ago also called seeing the lights. I tried to search for them...but the function wasn't working properly.
    Last edited by Youngblood; 01-09-2009 at 03:11 AM.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Try blocking

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

http://www.saddoboxing.com/boxingfor...ng-lights.html

http://www.saddoboxing.com/boxingfor...in-damage.html

In the first thread, I posted some useful info. about 8 or 9 posts in. In the 2nd thread, there is quite a bit of good info. also... with just more posts to sort through and a lot of opinion in general.

Is almost a bit funny I couldn't seem to start a post properly on how we fugg up our brains. lol
    Last edited by Youngblood; 01-09-2009 at 03:23 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Youngblood View Post
    http://www.saddoboxing.com/boxingfor...ng-lights.html

http://www.saddoboxing.com/boxingfor...in-damage.html

In the first thread, I posted some useful info. about 8 or 9 posts in. In the 2nd thread, there is quite a bit of good info. also... with just more posts to sort through and a lot of opinion in general.

Is almost a bit funny I couldn't seem to start a post properly on how we fugg up our brains. lol
    Boxing is so weird in that different guys react differently.

ICB Guest

Thanks for the advice fellas except you Bilbo you stalker, you purposely come in this thread as payback for my little rant at you on the hidden boards.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It often occurs that people who get Headaches, dont stretch the upper Back or Kneck. Check it out.
    Pain lasts a only a minute, but the memory will last forever....

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

and to add to what scrap said, if you DO stretch properly an still get them, then I would highly suggest you STOP IMMEDIATELY and talk to your doctor. Because the reality of headaches from boxing is that they're not merely headaches, THEY'RE CONCUSSIONS.

Too many of those "boxing headaches" and forget about it.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

True

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Nonito Donaire View Post
    Thanks for the advice fellas except you Bilbo you stalker, you purposely come in this thread as payback for my little rant at you on the hidden boards.

Ice Im swearing this is true,Ive seen some guys get their head rocked like a castanet,and they could have given a college disertation afterwords, and other guys are never the same.
    Watch your health,it could be nothing but lack of potassium and proper stretching, but if it isnt,those effects could linger the rest of your life. And as much as you feel like a man,dude Im telling you as someone whose arthritis has me up and about at 4:30 AM, the rest of your life is a long time.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I don't really think heart is important fior amateur fighters.
    Its a system of points scoring which doesn't lend itself all tyhat much to actual fighting.

Amir Kahn was the worlds best as an amateur, his chin may never allow him to become elite in the pros.

All you have to do is master the defences which lend themselves best to preventing scores in amateur boxing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap View Post
    It often occurs that people who get Headaches, dont stretch the upper Back or Kneck. Check it out.
    I think Scrap might be onto something here especially having read your other thread about shooting pains and not being able to stop your weight swining back while doing biceps barbell curls.

Aside from being in total agreement with Adam and Donny about working the biceps I think you're lifting dangerously if you are unable to control the movement.

You really need to reduce your weights if you can't control the movement and have to lean against a wall. You are unable to control it because you are not only using you biceps but swinging with your back and a whole facet of muscles and your hips etc meant to stabilize you.

This I think could be the likely cause of your headaches and arm pains and could lead to other pains later also. Honestly i don't understand why guys want to gain size so desperately.

A lot of the fittest and most attractive guys around still will say they want to bulk up when it would just make them look like ridiculous roid heads!

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

A damaged brain doesnt repair it would be constant.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

In fact, I bet if you did the Chicken stretch and the one with the pole the Headaches stop after a week of doing them, let me know.

Thread Information