Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Margarito - No longer indestructable

First off, huge respect for Shane Mosley today, he really turned back the clock and did what I didn't think was possible, he took Margarito out plain and simple.

So what happens now for Tony, hand wrap controversy aside.

Tony's greatest strength was his belief in his chin, his strength and his work rate - that no matter how hard and how often you hit him, he could walk through you and take you out. Look at how often Cotto hit him with huge shots and they just had no effect.

Maybe, Shane benefited tonight from Cotto's work - you just can't keep taking shots like Tony takes and expect to stay healthy. Look at Mayorga - early in his career you couldn't knock him out with a sledgehammer, but over time his chin eroded to the point where he's getting buzzed and KO'd regularly.

So tonight Tony's faith in his chin was unswerving, but he paid a big price - you could almost see the disbelief in his face when he was on the canvas and his legs wouldn't repsond. "WTF? This has never happened before!"

If he is to continue in the sport at the top level he must protect his chin. But Tony may be like another great Mexican fighter, Pipino Cuevas - once the belief in the chin is gone they just aren't the same
    "I take good care of my people. I like to inflict permanent psychological damage."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Margarito - No longer indestructable

Tony took some hard shots from Cotto and he just smile and walked right through them which was unbelievable to me. But i said this before that eventually you wont be able to take those shots forever.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by kingfrnk View Post
    Tony took some hard shots from Cotto and he just smile and walked right through them which was unbelievable to me. But i said this before that eventually you wont be able to take those shots forever.
    Exactly my point.

I think that in order to keep fighting against the elite Tony needs to reorganize his style and not be so gung ho about things, much the same way that Tszyu did after Vince Phillips, although he had the benefit of being, IMO, a a far more skilled boxer than Tony thanks to his amateur pedigree.

Tony, when you look at it, is a pretty one dimensional fighter. I think he has a nice jab, but Mosley really exposed his lack of subtlety and speed tonight. He controlled the distance so well, kept him just out of range or too close ALL NIGHT. Very similar to what Hopkins did to Kelly Pavlik.

Can Tony change? Don't know, but after tonight I think we all agree he needs to...
    "I take good care of my people. I like to inflict permanent psychological damage."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I thought before the fight that Margie had impregnable defense when it came to the body. He had that perfect stance with his had down, and long forearms. Shane was able to find spots, and weaken him early.

I can't get enough of this fight.....I am re-watching it as I type!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Greig View Post
    Exactly my point.

I think that in order to keep fighting against the elite Tony needs to reorganize his style and not be so gung ho about things, much the same way that Tszyu did after Vince Phillips, although he had the benefit of being, IMO, a a far more skilled boxer than Tony thanks to his amateur pedigree.

Tony, when you look at it, is a pretty one dimensional fighter. I think he has a nice jab, but Mosley really exposed his lack of subtlety and speed tonight. He controlled the distance so well, kept him just out of range or too close ALL NIGHT. Very similar to what Hopkins did to Kelly Pavlik.

Can Tony change? Don't know, but after tonight I think we all agree he needs to...
    Its pretty clear that tony is very one dimensional. But as far as his style goes i think hes fukked cause hes fought with the same style his whole career and would be very difficult for him to change it up all of a sudden. Now it should be even easier for Cotto to beat him since he wont have that plaster in his gloves and is very easy to study now that Mosley exposed him.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by DAWGSWIN View Post
    I thought before the fight that Margie had impregnable defense when it came to the body. He had that perfect stance with his had down, and long forearms. Shane was able to find spots, and weaken him early.

I can't get enough of this fight.....I am re-watching it as I type!!
    Me too mate. Even in the seventh, I said to my friend "It looks it's SHANE who's bustin TONY up"

He said "don't worry mate, that chin will hold up all 12."

About 5 minutes later, we were picking our jaws up off the floor...

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Exactly my point.

Its pretty clear that tony is very one dimensional. But as far as his style goes i think hes fukked cause hes fought with the same style his whole career and would be very difficult for him to change it up all of a sudden. Now it should be even easier for Cotto to beat him since he wont have that plaster in his gloves and is very easy to study now that Mosley exposed him.

Maybe - but does Cotto have Mosley's balls and heart?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Balls yes after all he did face Margarito who was one of the most avoided fighters at 147.

Heart i wouldnt say hes all heart but Cotto does have heart but sometimes heart doesnt win fights.

But as of now this Mosley is almost unstoppable at 147.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Cotto is courageous no doubt.

But a beating like the one he took against Tony will do things to your mind. Just like the beating Tony took tonight will play on his mind.

Interesting year ahead at 147.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think Cotto has Balls enough, but is not as durable as Mosely. He needs to take a note from Mosely and clinch more against Margarito and he'll get the victory.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Mosley didn't just clinch, he uses his strength to move Margarito, and that wore Margarito down. There were a few times Cotto used that strength in the clinch against Margarito, but he would then precede to back off. Miguel Cotto fought a bad fight, and I think after watching that fight if he altered his style, he stopped Margarito faster than Mosley because he hits harder, he is more accurate, and lands more meaningful punches. But tonight is a perfect example of how important the clinch is.

If Mosley wasn't able to clinch he would have lost, he doesn't have the slick defensive skills needed to stop Margarito's offensive arsenal, anytime Margarito tried to get going Mosley held him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Exactly my point.

Maybe - but does Cotto have Mosley's balls and heart?
    Mosley never needed to dig deep, margarito hardly landed anything because the clinch is so effective.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Well i never remember Shane giving up in a fight like Cotto did but i got to say not every is blessed with a chin and i disagree Teath i think Mosley speed puts alot more on his punches then Cotto just look at the effect on Margrito and you can see who can throw the harder punch dude.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I felt that mosley hurt margarito in the first round and margarito hardly threw a body shot for at least 6 rounds. He just couldn't get many punches off. Paul Williams did the same thing to him, but couldn't hurt him the way mosley hurt him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Mr140 View Post
    Well i never remember Shane giving up in a fight like Cotto did but i got to say not every is blessed with a chin and i disagree Teath i think Mosley speed puts alot more on his punches then Cotto just look at the effect on Margrito and you can see who can throw the harder punch dude.
    What better way to compare power than to see the guys fighting eachother watch Cotto-Mosley, Cotto hits harder, he hit MArgarito harder as well, he was snapping his head back more. Shane isn't that hard of a puncher above lightweight, certainly isn't on Cotto's level in power punching, COtto is nearly at 140 the same puncher Mosley was at 135.

Thread Information