Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I wonder just 'How' Great Mosely could've been......

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: I wonder just 'How' Great Mosely could've been......

Quote Originally Posted by Taeth View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ICB View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BIG H View Post
    .....if he had've stayed at LW or at moved up slowly rather than jumping straight up to WW. He's gotta be one of the greatest LWs ever anyway (what was he 31-0(29)??) But if he had've done things differently could be talking about a top 10 p4p of all time fighter? Could he still be unbeaten and p4p number 1? I think possibly 'Yes'
    Not sure if he could of stayed unbeaten with Floyd Mayweather around, who at the lighter weights had a terrific jab which is one of Shane Mosley's biggest weaknesses, he's always struggled against fighters with good jabs.

Floyd Mayweather also had alot of pop and was as fast as Shane Mosley, not sure who would of won but it would of been a terrific fight. But other than Floyd Mayweather i can't really see anyone else at Lightweight really having a chance of beating him.

His toughest challenges would be Paul Spadaforda, Joel Casamayor, Jose Luis Castillo, i think Joel Casamayor would of gave him a tough fight. I don't think the others would of troubled him too much, but basically Joel Casamayor, Floyd Mayweather, would of been his toughest fights had he stayed at Lightweight.
    I think JLC gives Mosley a ton of trouble, he was a really big LW like Mosley, not as tall, but consistently came in at 147 pounds, he hits really hard, goes to the body well, much faster and more accurate version of Antoniono Margarito. IMO JLC is the missing link between JCC and AM.
    He's also very hittable and he was stopped several times by fighters with less power than Mosley has. I can buy prime Casamayor and obviously Mayweather giving him trouble, but JLC is taylor-made for Mosley.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by RozzySean View Post

Not sure if he could of stayed unbeaten with Floyd Mayweather around, who at the lighter weights had a terrific jab which is one of Shane Mosley's biggest weaknesses, he's always struggled against fighters with good jabs.

Floyd Mayweather also had alot of pop and was as fast as Shane Mosley, not sure who would of won but it would of been a terrific fight. But other than Floyd Mayweather i can't really see anyone else at Lightweight really having a chance of beating him.

His toughest challenges would be Paul Spadaforda, Joel Casamayor, Jose Luis Castillo, i think Joel Casamayor would of gave him a tough fight. I don't think the others would of troubled him too much, but basically Joel Casamayor, Floyd Mayweather, would of been his toughest fights had he stayed at Lightweight.
    I think JLC gives Mosley a ton of trouble, he was a really big LW like Mosley, not as tall, but consistently came in at 147 pounds, he hits really hard, goes to the body well, much faster and more accurate version of Antoniono Margarito. IMO JLC is the missing link between JCC and AM.
    He's also very hittable and he was stopped several times by fighters with less power than Mosley has. I can buy prime Casamayor and obviously Mayweather giving him trouble, but JLC is taylor-made for Mosley.
    I agree Rozzy, I can't see JLC giving him too much trouble.
    Joel & PBF are another story.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

.....if he had've stayed at LW or at moved up slowly rather than jumping straight up to WW. He's gotta be one of the greatest LWs ever anyway (what was he 31-0(29)??) But if he had've done things differently could be talking about a top 10 p4p of all time fighter? Could he still be unbeaten and p4p number 1? I think possibly 'Yes'
    I don't think Mosley's problem was moving up in weight too quickly.

What limited his effectiveness was that he got into some bad habits and became too much of a brawler. I was shocked at how well he jabbed last night, it's been years and years since he focused on throwing quality jab. He was also stepping back and countering, doing all types of stuff he hasn't been doing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by CutMeMick View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RozzySean View Post

I agree Rozzy, I can't see JLC giving him too much trouble.
    Joel & PBF are another story.
    I agree, Mosley wouldn't have had much trouble with Castillo. Yes, Castillo is a better version of Margarito but Mosley didn't have trouble with Margarito.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by SweetPea View Post
    I don't think Mosley's problem was moving up in weight too quickly.

What limited his effectiveness was that he got into some bad habits and became too much of a brawler. I was shocked at how well he jabbed last night, it's been years and years since he focused on throwing quality jab. He was also stepping back and countering, doing all types of stuff he hasn't been doing.

It wasn't so much of the weight moving up..it was how he moved up in weight..he increased weight training and got too bulky for his combos to flow out...and he started to believe he could kayo the bigger guys. so he stood and traded with them. but that bad strategy in term of how he moved up in weight is why in hindsight it wasnt so bad, because his armor is so thick now from banging with the big guys. He feels confident that he can walk down the smaller guys...he kayos pacman, hatton, judah, and berto....rematch with cotto or floyd goes the distance.
    "Sixty forty I kicks yo' ass, Sixty forty I tears yo' ass up" - Roy Jones

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Just wanna say big congrats to my man Shane, he has always been my favourite fighter and with all the scandal about the Balco use going and how he should retire after his low par performance against Mayorga, he has proved he is still a world class fighter.

Even I thought Shane had bitten off more than he could chew taking on Margarito at this point in his career which is why I didnt watch the fight live, it hurt me to see what Margarito did to Cotto and I just didnt think I could take watching Shane taking the same punishment.

Boxing needs fighters like Mosley who arnt afraid to take on the most feared fighters in the divisions.
    Nothings Sweeter Than Sugar

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thumbs up Re: I wonder just 'How' Great Mosely could've been......

Quote Originally Posted by GAME View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Pavlik View Post
    ATG!!! i will not mind putting him alongside PAC as P4P number one right now
    I think Mosleys win over Margarito was more impressive than Pacs win over oscar.
    I agree. While many thought Oscar was too big/strong for Manny, we saw what a shell Oscar was coming all the way down to 147 again for the 1st time in years. With Margarito, we had a guy many thought was the top WW & would be too strong for Shane who was supposed to be past his prime.

Big props to Shane, what a convincing, impressive win - from the opening bell to the decisive conclusion!

2009 gets off to a great start in boxing!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by BlackRazor View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GAME View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Pavlik View Post
    ATG!!! i will not mind putting him alongside PAC as P4P number one right now
    I think Mosleys win over Margarito was more impressive than Pacs win over oscar.
    I agree. While many thought Oscar was too big/strong for Manny, we saw what a shell Oscar was coming all the way down to 147 again for the 1st time in years. With Margarito, we had a guy many thought was the top WW & would be too strong for Shane who was supposed to be past his prime.

Big props to Shane, what a convincing, impressive win - from the opening bell to the decisive conclusion!

2009 gets off to a great start in boxing!
    I think it also eclipsed Hopkins amazing win over Pavlik. Infact im struggling to think of a fight it doesnt eclipse. Mosley was sensational . It looked like Mosley would never get back to his best after the 1st Forrest fight. We waited a long time but almost 10 years later . . .he is back !!! It wasnt just the fact that he won but he statyed in pucnhing range , stood toe to toe and then pushed Tony back . He went for the KO and got it. ATG no doubt about it !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

You have to ask yourself are boxers ever the same after they juice up when skipping divisions...

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Hairdoo View Post
    You have to ask yourself are boxers ever the same after they juice up when skipping divisions...
    I dunno, what does Roy say?

ICB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by hitmandonny View Post
    LOL i did find that funny that he is implying Shane Mosley with steroids, yet he has RJJ as his avatar.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

LOL i did find that funny that he is implying Shane Mosley with steroids, yet he has RJJ as his avatar.
    What Hairdoo said is perfectly legit.. and ironic.. and it's ironic he was neg-repped by someone that didn't get it.

Hairdoo is/was a big Mosley fan. Also a former prediction comp winner.

Long time no see Hairdoo
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Fenster View Post
    What Hairdoo said is perfectly legit.. and ironic.. and it's ironic he was neg-repped by someone that didn't get it.

Long time no see Hairdoo
    I remember him.
    Reason being his predictions were always pretty accurate.

ICB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Fenster View Post

Long time no see Hairdoo
    I didn't neg rep him i just wasn't sure if he was being sarcastic or not, i know nothing about him and i've never seen any of his posts. So i wouldn't know who he is a fan of and who he isn't a fan of.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Mosley was already an ATG before his win against Margarito and let's not get carried away here, Margarito is not in Mosley's class or Oscar's for that matter. He beat Cintron and yes he beat Cotto, how Cotto managed to lose that fight i still don't know because i don't think Margarito is in his class either.
    I liken Margarito to the EPL, he was top of the championship league and gets promoted to the Premier League, he surprisngly wins his first match then kapow is brought back down to earth when he tackles the 'Arsenal' of Suger Shane Mosley.
    As for Mosley one of my favourite fighters and people in boxing i would have loved to see him fight Tszyu back in 1999. He chose to chase Oscar and it was a smart move both financially and career wise.
    He really needs Floyd now or Cotto again to cement his place in Boxings top 20 ATGs. He is 37 and probably has one or two big fights left in him but guys like Margarito are a punching bag for Sugar Shane. Floyd, Cotto or Williams could be a different story altogether.

Thread Information