Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weight Issues Leading To Brain Injuries ? Discuss.

Share/Bookmark
    ICB Guest

Default Weight Issues Leading To Brain Injuries ? Discuss.

I've been having an interesting conversation with my mate at the gym, about issues making weight for a fight. So basically my question is are fighters more suspect, to brain injuries when they are weight drained ?

Paul Ingle
    Gerald McClellan
    Duk Koo Kim

All 3 had trouble making weight and all 3 had disasters in the ring, could this be a concidence ? or is there more to this than meets the eye ?

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Weight Issues Leading To Brain Injuries ? Discuss.

Quote Originally Posted by ICB View Post
    I've been having an interesting conversation with my mate at the gym, about issues making weight for a fight. So basically my question is are fighters more suspect, to brain injuries when they are weight drained ?

Paul Ingle
    Gerald McClellan
    Duk Koo Kim

All 3 had trouble making weight and all 3 had disasters in the ring, could this be a concidence ? or is there more to this than meets the eye ?
    I think staying hydrated is an essential element to keeping function going (should be common sense). I think moreso than anything else it's dehydration that has the effect of making fighters more prone to brain injury. Same day weigh-ins would certainly help this issue.
    For every story told that divides us, I believe there are a thousand untold that unite us.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I dont think there is any conclusive evidence regarding this issue. But you would think that significant weight loss would certainly not be a healthy element in fight preparation. More than that is perhaps conjecture.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

it sounds like common sense. Exp. considering your brain has a higher % of water than the rest of your body.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I always thought there should be more of a time span for weigh in's, a fighter should weigh in a week before the fight, and 3 days before the fight.

It would give time to make sure there is an adjustment to the body and assure there are no dehydration issues, I also believe they should not be allowed to step in the ring more then 3 pounds over come fight night.

I don't make 7 figures a year writing the guidlines though so I am sure my opinion counts for zip

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I would think yes. But i'm not an expert.. of anything.

Ice, what gym are you a member of?
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Why do you think they stopped having weigh ins in the day of the fight?

A dehydrated fighter doesn't perform as well, more chances of getting hit and not coping with the shots as well.... the muscles that absorb the shot and the nervous system don't respond as well.

More importantly the brain is dehydrated of fluid that protects it.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I've only had same day weigh ins, and have had to cut for them...often leaving a hydrating and food fueling window of no more then 3-4 hrs. It sux as it leaves you in a weakened state and at more risk of harm, for reasons previously stated. In ams though, this is the window you get as time is a luxury not afforded us. In the pros it's a different deal..it's your job and livelihood. As well you are more susceptable to harder shots and longer rounds. So IMO...the longer, the better, the safer.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yeah, in the ABA we get weighed a few hours before fighting, can't really cut weight at all.... make sure I've been to the toliet/not drank to much before hand but etc I think it would be stupid to cut any real weight that close to a bout.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I've been trying to find something, but there seems to be no connecting found as of yet. But malnourishment itself can damage the brain because the brain doesn't can materials it needs to sustain itself. Dehydration is also very bad for the brain hence why people hellucinate among many other things.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I firmly believe it does. Ok Ill just use Andrew since there's plenty of visual evidence on You Tube. Against Dumas he sauna suited to make weight,and he spent most of the fight on the canvas. In his most recent fight,we watched his diet and changed his work outs,and he came in way under weight,but did it in a healthy manner,and quite arguably won the fight,and other then feeling a bit sore, felt fine afterwords
    Same thing with Feur,at middleweight she's a little chinny,at her natural weight of super middle,Ive seen her blow off hard shots from strong heavyweights without blinking.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think so. If your not properly hydrated wouldn't you have less fluid around the brain to protect it?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yes it does. I think they discuss this sometime ago during WBC convention regarding weight issues of some fighters. Some fighters are abusing their body to make weight. our brain is suspended within skull, which surround it with a protective cushion of fluid. Dehydration causes changes in the volume of fluid and this may increase the likelihood of cuntusion injuries after blows to the head.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by killersheep View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ICB View Post

Paul Ingle
    Gerald McClellan
    Duk Koo Kim

I think staying hydrated is an essential element to keeping function going (should be common sense). I think moreso than anything else it's dehydration that has the effect of making fighters more prone to brain injury. Same day weigh-ins would certainly help this issue.
    I like the next day weigh ins and if I recall correctly it's because of that malnourishment. At least if someone is dehydrating themselves they have a day to get it all together which wasn't the case before.

I remember an interesting story from a Zahir Raheem fight, which is funny in itself. Remember a couple years ago he told Teddy Atlas it was BS that he couldn't use IVs before a fight after cutting weight and he's right, there should be no rules against IVs which in that state there was. I thought it was interesting I wanted to know more about how IVs are used in boxing and what states or countries allow them and which don't. Never followed up on it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Kel View Post
    I think so. If your not properly hydrated wouldn't you have less fluid around the brain to protect it?
    I don't think there have been any studies actually done specifically on that, but it would be interesting to know. Regardless would lower brain function because water works like a lubricant for a your brain and your body.

Thread Information