Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default In praise of Lucian Bute

Lucian Bute has unfairly been overlooked ever since he was knocked out by Librado Andrade last October.

In this poster's opinion, Bute evinces class in every sense of the word. He displays class in the ring. Last weekend, he easily dispatched Zuniga, knocking him out with a highlight reel body shot (that body shot put the 'b' in beautiful). As a 6'2 southpaw, Bute would spell trouble for most other fighters at 168. Right now, with Kessler out of the fight game for the foreseeable future, this poster favors Bute over all the top fighters of the division: Froch, Taylor, and Andrade. He already dispatched Bika with ease - the scorecards read 118-109 twice and 116-111.

Bute also displays class outside the ring. After his aforementioned controversial defeat, even Andrade didn't have a bad word to say about him and Bute, to his credit, badly desires a rematch just to set the record straight. His adopted hometown, Montreal, loves him, which is evidenced by the fact that he sells out the Bell Center in every fight.

http://www.saddoboxing.com/9368-ring...fulgencio.html
    Last edited by Rantcatrat; 03-16-2009 at 11:41 AM.

SigmaMu Guest

Default Re: In praise of Lucian Bute

His style is compared to that of Calslappy and after his last fight, I have to agree that he has a lot of similar style as the Welsh Dragon. He looked great. He needs to rematch Andrade as we all know that Bute was out on his feet in that final round and the bell would not have saved him. It was a bit of a shady ordeal but the ref was in his right to re-order Andrade back to the corner but is there a rule that a fighter has to be all the way in the corner with his back touching the turnbuckle? Rules in boxing and the way refs impliment them are still some how some way up in the air and it seems as though they interprent them how ever they want to. All the refs need to go back to ref school and the rules revised so shiet like this don't happen again.

Does anyone actually know what the neutural corner rule is after a knock down?

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Danny_G View Post
    His style is compared to that of Calslappy and after his last fight, I have to agree that he has a lot of similar style as the Welsh Dragon. He looked great. He needs to rematch Andrade as we all know that Bute was out on his feet in that final round and the bell would not have saved him. It was a bit of a shady ordeal but the ref was in his right to re-order Andrade back to the corner but is there a rule that a fighter has to be all the way in the corner with his back touching the turnbuckle? Rules in boxing and the way refs impliment them are still some how some way up in the air and it seems as though they interprent them how ever they want to. All the refs need to go back to ref school and the rules revised so shiet like this don't happen again.

Does anyone actually know what the neutural corner rule is after a knock down?
    The general interpretation is that you have to be in the vicinity of the corner, or far enough away that you would not present an immediate threat (like 1 second I think) to the downed fighter. It's one of those nice rules that isn't very clear, basically Andrade with almost any other ref in the world would be fine, he was within the area you'd expect his corner to be in between rounds, he was just leaning out slightly to look at Bute, kinda understandable given the situation. Also there was no justification for Wright ceasing the count to turn fully 180, he kept at it after Andrade was back on the turnbuckle. That was a robbery of the highest order for me, & I hope they get back in the ring & this time Andrade KO's him quicker

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

[quote=Danny_G;701595]His style is compared to that of Calslappy and after his last fight, I have to agree that he has a lot of similar style as the Welsh Dragon. He looked great. He needs to rematch Andrade as we all know that Bute was out on his feet in that final round and the bell would not have saved him.
    quote]

I'm sure Bute would be honored by the comparison, but why is his style compared to Calzaghe?

Quote Originally Posted by JazMerkin View Post
    That was a robbery of the highest order for me, & I hope they get back in the ring & this time Andrade KO's him quicker
    The point of the post was to give Bute his due. The problem is a discussion of Bute can't occur without a discussion of Marlon Wright. Let's not forget, Marlon Wright made the bad call, not Bute. I was as bitter about that call as anyone (clear from picture I'm a big fan of Andrade), but at the time of the knockout, Bute was thoroughly dominating on the scorecards and prior to the eleventh round, Bute was taking Andrade to school.
    Last edited by Rantcatrat; 03-16-2009 at 12:34 PM.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

[quote=Rantcatrat;701627]
    His style is compared to that of Calslappy and after his last fight, I have to agree that he has a lot of similar style as the Welsh Dragon. He looked great. He needs to rematch Andrade as we all know that Bute was out on his feet in that final round and the bell would not have saved him.
    quote]

I'm sure Bute would be honored by the comparison, but why is his style compared to Calzaghe?

That was a robbery of the highest order for me, & I hope they get back in the ring & this time Andrade KO's him quicker
    The point of the post was to give Bute his due. The problem is a discussion of Bute can't occur without a discussion of Marlon Wright. Let's not forget, Marlon Wright made the bad call, not Bute. I was as bitter about that call as anyone, but don't forget that at the time of the knockout, Bute was thoroughly dominating on the scorecards.

Sig bet on the rematch?
    I agree that is a problem, but the fact is I think no I will always harbour a bit of resentment against Bute because of that night, even if it wasn't his fault. I know that's not logical or right, but its just the way I feel. It's hard on Bute because he's a really good fighter, who could take over the SMW division, but IMO that will always be hanging over him, because it was more than people believing the judges got it wrong, the whole of that fight stank of corruption to me. If & when the fight is made, I'll think about a sig bet, I have to get a sig first

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

[quote=JazMerkin;701631]
    Quote Originally Posted by Rantcatrat View Post
    His style is compared to that of Calslappy and after his last fight, I have to agree that he has a lot of similar style as the Welsh Dragon. He looked great. He needs to rematch Andrade as we all know that Bute was out on his feet in that final round and the bell would not have saved him.
    quote]

The point of the post was to give Bute his due. The problem is a discussion of Bute can't occur without a discussion of Marlon Wright. Let's not forget, Marlon Wright made the bad call, not Bute. I was as bitter about that call as anyone, but don't forget that at the time of the knockout, Bute was thoroughly dominating on the scorecards.

Sig bet on the rematch?
    I agree that is a problem, but the fact is I think no I will always harbour a bit of resentment against Bute because of that night, even if it wasn't his fault. I know that's not logical or right, but its just the way I feel. It's hard on Bute because he's a really good fighter, who could take over the SMW division, but IMO that will always be hanging over him, because it was more than people believing the judges got it wrong, the whole of that fight stank of corruption to me. If & when the fight is made, I'll think about a sig bet, I have to get a sig first

Your honesty is admirable.

“If you want loyalty, buy a dog.” Ricky Hatton

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Let me start by saying that I do not like Bute very much and that I was cheering for Andrade in their fight.

I still do not understand why people say Andrade got robbed in the 12th round. Bute was knocked down, made it two his feet before the count of ten (a real count of ten, not Wrights slow-assed 15 count disguised as a 10 count). Whether or not he was able to continue following the knock down is immaterial. The IBF rules state that as soon as his gloves cleared the canvas, the fight was over.

Marlon Wright did a terrible job of reffing the fight, he let Bute get away will all kinds of ridiculous fouls all night long, and for that reason alone there needs to be a rematch in a neutral setting, but by the letter of the law Andrade was not robbed of a knock out in the last round.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by CFH View Post
    Let me start by saying that I do not like Bute very much and that I was cheering for Andrade in their fight.

I still do not understand why people say Andrade got robbed in the 12th round. Bute was knocked down, made it two his feet before the count of ten (a real count of ten, not Wrights slow-assed 15 count disguised as a 10 count). Whether or not he was able to continue following the knock down is immaterial. The IBF rules state that as soon as his gloves cleared the canvas, the fight was over.

Marlon Wright did a terrible job of reffing the fight, he let Bute get away will all kinds of ridiculous fouls all night long, and for that reason alone there needs to be a rematch in a neutral setting, but by the letter of the law Andrade was not robbed of a knock out in the last round.

Was he fit to continue? If yes, he wins. If no, he loses. IMO, he was on Queer Street big time and was not fit to continue. IMO, of course, becuase this is a very subjective call.

“If you want loyalty, buy a dog.” Ricky Hatton

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by holmcall View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CFH View Post

Was he fit to continue? If yes, he wins. If no, he loses. IMO, he was on Queer Street big time and was not fit to continue. IMO, of course, becuase this is a very subjective call.
    In my opinion, he was not fit to continue. However, this is given no consideration in the IBF's rules regarding a fighter who is knocked down in the last 10 seconds of a fight. The rules clearly state that as long as his gloves clear the canvas, the fight is considered over. Therefor, it does not matter if he was able to continue because there was no longer any fight in which he had to continue.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I dont blame Bute for Marlon Wright's corruption. I just hope more fighters like Zuniga refuse to fight in matches were he is ref.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

[quote=JazMerkin;701631]
    quote]

Sig bet on the rematch?
    Exactly, guys like Bute who never did something wrong (he didn’t cheat like… he doesn’t talk shit like…he doesn’t use dirty tricks: headbutts, lowblows, back of the head hitting, etc. like….) get a lot of hate, or at leasta bit of resentment” …………………………………………That’s not fair …………………………………………

Anyway I’m glad he’s back with a tremendous performance !!! ……………………

BTW the title of the thread is:In praise of Lucian Bute

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

[quote=iwng100;702235]

Exactly, guys like Bute who never did something wrong (he didn’t cheat like… he doesn’t talk shit like…he doesn’t use dirty tricks: headbutts, lowblows, back of the head hitting, etc. like….) get a lot of hate, or at leasta bit of resentment” …………………………………………That’s not fair …………………………………………
    He is a good guy, but that doesn't change the fact that he benefited from Marlon Wright's corruption; and Andrade, who is an even nicer guy, got robbed of a knockout and an alphabet title.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Well, until they meet again to settle the score.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Bute dominated Andrade for 11 rounds. I expect him to do it again no matter who refs the match and where it is. People are quick to forget that and are making excuses for Andrade for it. Plz.

No one with any sense will argue that deal was shady with the long count, in the hands of Marlon and also we have some probs with officiating in Montreal here (like many places), but as stated over and over by others, it was not Bute's doing. If he shows up with a full tank next time out with Andrade, expect more dominance and an easy win for Bute.

The man has speed and skills.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

For those who think Marlon is the worst ref….here some fun:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGjCD...eature=related

Thread Information