Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: How to box an opponent with a longer reach?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default How to box an opponent with a longer reach?

Hi Trainer,

I have been training in MMA for a year. Because our coach's brother-in-law is a pro-boxing trainer, all the fighters at our dojo train in boxing too. I am 5ft7in tall, and new to boxing (trained for several months now). A problem I keep on having is when I spar with an opponent half a foot taller than me and has a longer reach. Coming inside works but I take at least 3 punches to come inside(I do put the earmuffs on). Staying outside just leaves me taking more punches. What is your suggestion to me in terms of sparring with taller boxers?

sincerely,
    Eagle vs. Shark

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: How to box an opponent with a longer reach?

Im not a boxer so i wont go into much detail (ill save that for more knowledgeable people), but you will probably need to work on your footwork and head movement. Practicing on a slip bag (maize bag)should help with the head movement.

Slip bag is shown here (at 50 seconds) in case you arent familiar with it:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjF2IHw0EyE

Like i said, im not a boxer, so im sure others will have more info.

El Kabong Guest

I'm not a pro and I never fought amateur either but I sparred with both pros and amateurs...and I oddly enough had a better go of it fighting taller southpaws (go figure).

The keys to beating a taller/longer fighter are:
    #1 Keep the head moving....not ALL fighters with long arms know how to use it ot their advantage. Slipping punches and shortening up the distance puts you in range and you may find your opponent off balance.

#2 Use angles...coming in straight forward gives the longer fighter the advantage of firing off straight punches keeping you at the end of them and therefore limiting your offense. Use headmovement and quick footwork to move inside and once you are there you can pivot to more effectively land hooks and uppercuts.

#3 Stay in your range but move out of their range...having shorter arms you have to use it to your advantage. When you aren't punching stay far away from your opponent so you can see what's coming or stay "in the pocket" and that takes the sting off of their punches. If you're in the pocket use your forearms and elbows, not as weapons but kind of like "the jaws of life" to open up some space for you to fire off punches.

What usually worked for me was to press the longer fighter against the ropes so that they couldn't use their long arms AND movement...it had to be one or the other. And if they got pinned straight up against the ropes then they were at my mercy so to speak.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Slip,then ride the jab

Mentioned
    448 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Different things for different situations; more of them arise in mma.

Half steps and control of his arm is one way to think so you can release and go in all the way once your safe.

If their jabs out and feeling for you ,Take them at the elbow point on the way in and and slip their reaction.

Double up the jab on the way in.(use the first as a feint) or an attack.depends on if your footwork is with the move or just behind the move.

Even attack their lead arm under the elbow with a punch and then double up as you move forwards. Like an upper cut the centre of their lead arm and then go over the top as they react downwards and you move in on their reaction.

Go real low and come up under them on either side of that lead arm, requires angled footwork and have their knee checked or catch them off footed so you dont walk into a knee to the face.

Time their jab, move out of range but check it softly with a glove then follow their arm back to load position controlling that side with your check glove by pushing straight out as you move in, footwork is like picking up the weight off your front foot (so that the jab misses you by a smige and as you land you are in range yourself and you have his lead arm pressured the whole way back.you just got to have his other arm in sight. You'll feel any kick comming through his arm and can pull it down which stops the kick dead.

Switch stance so that you bodily go around his jab either by pulling your lead leg back around behind you but then instantly shuffle forwards so that you go up the outside edge of his same arm but control his arm whie you do it so that you can pull it down if his knee starts to rise again.If you can get to there they always turn around to face where you just went and thats when you land the bomb.

Or if you can get his jab to start going over your head skip forward and open up your feet attacking him with your rear arm on the way through to your own reach; Or a knee up into his ribs under his arm if the opening arrises or if you can get under there like that and catch him reaching out for you, sort of a skip off the front foot double arm grab and pull him into a knee right through the rib cage.
    Hidden Content " border="0" />

I can explain it.
    But I cant understand it for you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thanks, guys. For replying to me. Keep them suggestions coming. I am reading each comment at least a few times so I may remember them for my next boxing class.

Eagle vs. Shark

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yea I have this problem too because I am a short guy like you. So, basically what the others have been saying move the head and keep in moving. Also, start timing his jab, make him miss and use the a jab of your own to come inside and smother him. Another big key that was mentioned already is use different angles use lateral movement to keep youropponent guessing.

This is what I have done when I am fighting somebody that is taller than me and has longer arms than me.(which is pretty frequent lol) Also, watching Ricky Hatton over the years has helped me a lot too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Watch some Tyson fights.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Yordan View Post
    Watch some Tyson fights.
    That's the best suggestion.

Practice stepping forward while slipping a jab.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thumbs up Re: How to box an opponent with a longer reach?

Quote Originally Posted by "The L.A. Earthquake" View Post
    Yea I have this problem too because I am a short guy like you. So, basically what the others have been saying move the head and keep in moving. Also, start timing his jab, make him miss and use the a jab of your own to come inside and smother him. Another big key that was mentioned already is use different angles use lateral movement to keep youropponent guessing.

This is what I have done when I am fighting somebody that is taller than me and has longer arms than me.(which is pretty frequent lol) Also, watching Ricky Hatton over the years has helped me a lot too.
    I like your suggestions. It is possible to out jab a taller opponent with a left jab. It is a matter of timing, ring movement, defense, speed and distance.
    BALANCE, LEVERAGE, ACCURACY, SPEED and TIMING - Effective punching.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Change your style to a Swarmer and pratice Bob-Weaving.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

This is far from my favorite area but I'll give it a go...

I find a taller fighter, although possessed of a longer range is also inhibited by the length of their limbs. It takes time to get a big long jab back in place.
    So if you can draw the punch (and evade it) there is a counter opportunity.

Thread Information