2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Q & A with Community Leader Darxide

May 11, 2009 12:10 pm PT
    Q. And so who are you exactly?
    A. Long time gamefaqer, and one of EA's Fight Night community leaders.

Q. When is the release date?
    A. Right now, it's June 30th.

Q. Hey, I got the pre-order demo from gamestop, but the demo code is invalid? What gives?
    A. The official release date for the demo is May 14th, do the code is invalid until then.

Q. What fighters are in the game?
    A. Officially, the full roster hasn't been released, but some media outlets have released a list:

Mike Tyson
    Muhammad Ali
    Ricky Hatton
    Ray Robinson
    Thomas Hearns
    Miguel Cotto
    Shane Mosely
    Jake Lamotta
    Marvin Hagler
    Roy Jones Jr.
    Carlos Monzon
    Jermaine Taylor
    Kelly Pavlik
    Manny Pacquiao
    Pernell Whittaker
    Julio Caesar Chavez
    George Foreman
    Joe Frazier
    Lennox Lewis
    Ray Leonard
    James Toney
    Roberto Duran
    Marco Antonio Barrera
    Amin Asikainen
    Paulie Malignaggi
    Kermit Cintron
    Eddie Chambers
    Arturo Gatti
    Corey Spinks
    Tommy Morrison
    Sergio Mora
    Fernando Montiel
    Jorge Armando Arce Armenta
    Anthony Mundine
    Emanuel Augustus
    Vinny Paz
    Vivian Harris
    Billy Dib
    Diego Corrales
    Erik Morales
    Nate Campbell
    Ronald "Winky" Wright
    Yuriorkis Gamboa
    Nonito Donaire
    Arthur Abraham
    Joe Calzaghe
    Roberto Guerrero
    Edwin Valero
    Victor Ortiz

I can't personally confirm the accuracy of the list... *looks around*

Q. Augustus? Billy Dib? Vivian Harris? Why isn't (insert favorite fighter here) in the game?
    A. Understand that getting fighters in a game isn't like other sports. Pretty much, if a popular fighter you wanted in the game isn't there, it's because they wanted too much money or cover time. I personally think this is a fight fan's roster. A lot of classic matchups there.

Q. What's changed from Round 3?
    A. A lot- the biggest changes are a new graphics engine at 60 frames per second, and a new physics system to help accurately simulate much of the subtleties of the sweet science. There are now grazing blows and tracking punches. Punches don't always land in the same spot, and damage is based on punch impact and location. In-fighting is now possible, and the inside/clinching aspect is done more realistically. Also, there are now sliders to control the many aspects of the in-ring action. Punch speed is more realistic this time as well.

Q. What about haymakers and parries?
    A. The old parry system is gone. The devs acknowledged how unrealistic it was. They talked about the possibility of a "timed block" system, and though it wasn't in the build I played, I believe some semblance of a timed block/realistic parry is there from what I've seen in some recent vids. Defending punches is done with either blocking high or low, and leaning/dodging, with a new weave-step mechanic added in.

Haymakers are still in the game, but they are changed. It's pretty much a really hard punch with none of the tracking abilities of a normal punch.

Q. And so who are you exactly?
    A. Long time gamefaqer, and one of EA's Fight Night community leaders.

Q. When is the release date?
    A. Right now, it's June 30th.

Q. Hey, I got the pre-order demo from gamestop, but the demo code is invalid? What gives?
    A. The official release date for the demo is May 14th, do the code is invalid until then.

Q. What fighters are in the game?
    A. Officially, the full roster hasn't been released, but some media outlets have released a list:

Mike Tyson
    Muhammad Ali
    Ricky Hatton
    Ray Robinson
    Thomas Hearns
    Miguel Cotto
    Shane Mosely
    Jake Lamotta
    Marvin Hagler
    Roy Jones Jr.
    Carlos Monzon
    Jermaine Taylor
    Kelly Pavlik
    Manny Pacquiao
    Pernell Whittaker
    Julio Caesar Chavez
    George Foreman
    Joe Frazier
    Lennox Lewis
    Ray Leonard
    James Toney
    Roberto Duran
    Marco Antonio Barrera
    Amin Asikainen
    Paulie Malignaggi
    Kermit Cintron
    Eddie Chambers
    Arturo Gatti
    Corey Spinks
    Tommy Morrison
    Sergio Mora
    Fernando Montiel
    Jorge Armando Arce Armenta
    Anthony Mundine
    Emanuel Augustus
    Vinny Paz
    Vivian Harris
    Billy Dib
    Diego Corrales
    Erik Morales
    Nate Campbell
    Ronald "Winky" Wright
    Yuriorkis Gamboa
    Nonito Donaire
    Arthur Abraham
    Joe Calzaghe
    Roberto Guerrero
    Edwin Valero
    Victor Ortiz

I can't personally confirm the accuracy of the list... *looks around*

Q. Augustus? Billy Dib? Vivian Harris? Why isn't (insert favorite fighter here) in the game?
    A. Understand that getting fighters in a game isn't like other sports. Pretty much, if a popular fighter you wanted in the game isn't there, it's because they wanted too much money or cover time. I personally think this is a fight fan's roster. A lot of classic matchups there.

Q. What's changed from Round 3?
    A. A lot- the biggest changes are a new graphics engine at 60 frames per second, and a new physics system to help accurately simulate much of the subtleties of the sweet science. There are now grazing blows and tracking punches. Punches don't always land in the same spot, and damage is based on punch impact and location. In-fighting is now possible, and the inside/clinching aspect is done more realistically. Also, there are now sliders to control the many aspects of the in-ring action. Punch speed is more realistic this time as well.

Q. What about haymakers and parries?
    A. The old parry system is gone. The devs acknowledged how unrealistic it was. They talked about the possibility of a "timed block" system, and though it wasn't in the build I played, I believe some semblance of a timed block/realistic parry is there from what I've seen in some recent vids. Defending punches is done with either blocking high or low, and leaning/dodging, with a new weave-step mechanic added in.

Haymakers are still in the game, but they are changed. It's pretty much a really hard punch with none of the tracking abilities of a normal punch.

<LI class="msg_data topic_msg {'id': 'm-1-542151675','author':'Tenkaipalm'}" id=msg_id_m-1-542151675>
    May 11, 2009 12:11 pm PT
    Q. Man, I loved the cornerman game between rounds. Is that the same this time?
    A. The old cornerman game is gone. It's been replaced with a point allocation system to help your fighter. The better you do in the round, you get a certain amount of points to spend, on different tasks that replenish either health or stamina, or repair damage to your fighter, like cuts and swelling. It adds an interesting element of strategy- Do you give your fighter more health to try and make it to the final bell, or give him stamina and go for the comeback KO?

Q. Getting up from a KO?
    A. The old system is gone. Now, it's a mechanic where you actually have to position your fighter to standing from a first-person view. The left stick is used to move him horizontally to his knees, and the right stick is pushed up to get him standing once he is straight up and down on his knees. However, the horizontal movement is momentum based- push too hard on the left stick, and your fighter will simply fall over in the other direction. In the build I played, it was insanely difficult, but the devs stated they were still tweaking it. I expect the learning curve will be intermediate.

Q. One Punch KO's?
    A. Yep. Eat a hard counter right on the chin, and sometimes, you'll go down right away.

Q. I heard button punching is gone!
    A. Yep, TPC is the only option this year barring a last-minute change. The only difference is that you can now throw hooks to the body without using the left trigger modifier. The face buttons are used for clinching, pushing, and illegal blows.

Q. What about career mode and Create-a-boxer?
    A. I personally only spent maybe half an hour messing around in it. I can't speak on it, but I'll say that the amateur portion was superior to what we got in Round 3. The way you begin your career was pretty cool I thought. I started a career with Tyson since the CAB was unfinished. I think everyone will be pleased with the range of CAB customization.

Q. Do I still get trunks that help my cuts stat?
    A. Nah, that trash is gone.
    Last edited by CountryBoy; 05-12-2009 at 01:39 AM.
    Hidden Content

Welcome to the 21st Century. No Sex, Drug and Rock'n'Roll. All we have nowadays is AIDS, Meth and Crap Music Hidden Content

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Q & A with Community Leader Darxide

Q. What about the fighter styles?
    A. The devs did a good job of accurately presenting many of the pro fighters distinctive styles, and there are 8 base fighting types each fighter has:

Conventional Boxer: A boxer that sticks to the fundamentals and tries to set things up with the jab.

Unconventional Boxer: A boxer that eschews the fundamentals for a more dynamic approach.

Slugger: A roughhouse power puncher that likes to throw bombs, thinks the best defense is a good offense.

Brawler: Another power puncher, but one that shows more defensive ability.

Counter Puncher: A slippery, in-the-pocket defensive style fighter.

Boxer Puncher: A boxer that takes a conventional approach to setting up his big punches at medium distance.

Inside Fighter: A close range boxer-puncher that moves his head and tries to control the ring and work the body.

Outside Fighter: A stick and move fighter that focuses on keeping the opponent at the end of their punches.

Later, I'll write an update speaking on how the AI logic uses these different styles.

<LI class="msg_data topic_msg {'id': 'm-1-542151675','author':'Tenkaipalm'}" id=msg_id_m-1-542151675>Q. Man, I loved the cornerman game between rounds. Is that the same this time?
    A. The old cornerman game is gone. It's been replaced with a point allocation system to help your fighter. The better you do in the round, you get a certain amount of points to spend, on different tasks that replenish either health or stamina, or repair damage to your fighter, like cuts and swelling. It adds an interesting element of strategy- Do you give your fighter more health to try and make it to the final bell, or give him stamina and go for the comeback KO?

Q. Getting up from a KO?
    A. The old system is gone. Now, it's a mechanic where you actually have to position your fighter to standing from a first-person view. The left stick is used to move him horizontally to his knees, and the right stick is pushed up to get him standing once he is straight up and down on his knees. However, the horizontal movement is momentum based- push too hard on the left stick, and your fighter will simply fall over in the other direction. In the build I played, it was insanely difficult, but the devs stated they were still tweaking it. I expect the learning curve will be intermediate.

Q. One Punch KO's?
    A. Yep. Eat a hard counter right on the chin, and sometimes, you'll go down right away.

Q. I heard button punching is gone!
    A. Yep, TPC is the only option this year barring a last-minute change. The only difference is that you can now throw hooks to the body without using the left trigger modifier. The face buttons are used for clinching, pushing, and illegal blows.

Q. What about career mode and Create-a-boxer?
    A. I personally only spent maybe half an hour messing around in it. I can't speak on it, but I'll say that the amateur portion was superior to what we got in Round 3. The way you begin your career was pretty cool I thought. I started a career with Tyson since the CAB was unfinished. I think everyone will be pleased with the range of CAB customization.

Q. Do I still get trunks that help my cuts stat?
    A. Nah, that trash is gone.

Q. What about the fighter styles?
    A. The devs did a good job of accurately presenting many of the pro fighters distinctive styles, and there are 8 base fighting types each fighter has:

Conventional Boxer: A boxer that sticks to the fundamentals and tries to set things up with the jab.

Unconventional Boxer: A boxer that eschews the fundamentals for a more dynamic approach.

Slugger: A roughhouse power puncher that likes to throw bombs, thinks the best defense is a good offense.

Brawler: Another power puncher, but one that shows more defensive ability.

Counter Puncher: A slippery, in-the-pocket defensive style fighter.

Boxer Puncher: A boxer that takes a conventional approach to setting up his big punches at medium distance.

Inside Fighter: A close range boxer-puncher that moves his head and tries to control the ring and work the body.

Outside Fighter: A stick and move fighter that focuses on keeping the opponent at the end of their punches.

Later, I'll write an update speaking on how the AI logic uses these different styles.

<LI class="msg_data topic_msg {'id': 'm-1-542151709','author':'Tenkaipalm'}" id=msg_id_m-1-542151709>May 11, 2009 12:11 pm PT
    Q. The fighters look too fat and wide!
    A. Statement from Brizzo regarding the fighter models:
    ""We are aware of the issue and are still making adjustments at the moment. We developed a fairly flexible system that allows us to dynamically scale and tweak elements of the boxers with little risk even this late in development. ""

Q. Is it true you can save and edit replays?
    A. Yea, and the feature is pretty robust. You can even use a free roaming camera to set it up just right. And then you can upload the replay to EASW.com

Q. The blood streams coming out of the fighter's mouths looked stupid in Round 3.
    A. The blood and sweat sprays look realistic and work with the physics system.

Q. How do the knock downs look?
    A. To me, they look like a mix between the rag-doll KD's from Round 2, and the canned animations from round three. In Round 3 I hated knocking someone down with a jab, and them going down like it was a right hand bomb. It looks better in Round 4.

Q. Anything else?
    A. Still a lot I can't speak on, actually. Mostly regarding Legacy mode and the AI.

Q. I want to gripe about the game even though I haven't played it!
    A. Sure, knock yourself out. Please.
    Hidden Content

Welcome to the 21st Century. No Sex, Drug and Rock'n'Roll. All we have nowadays is AIDS, Meth and Crap Music Hidden Content

Thread Information