Thread: So what's great about Canada?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: So what's great about Canada?

Quote Originally Posted by CGM View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CFH View Post

I really don't know what to tell you, I'm not much of a patriot or anything like that but I will state that it is a great place to live for the most part. I'd stay out of Alberta if I was you, along with the rest of the Praries it's essentially Canada's bible-belt.

If you have any direct questions I'll be happy to try and answer them for you.
    An overstatement of course, but I suppose there is some truth in what you say.

The economy of Alberta is by far the strongest in the country because of all the oil, and Calgary is a very nice city, not particularly conservative, that is only a couple hours away from the Rocky Mountains. Calgary also has the Bow River flowing right through the middle, which is a world famous trout stream.
    I'm from B.C., I'd be run out of the Province if I said anything nice about Alberta. They do have an incredible economy, no doubt about that. As for Calgary, I wasn't very impressed when I was there, but it's a helluva lot nicer than Edmonton.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It's big.....It' cold.....Lots of places to dump corpses and you could go back agan and again to visit them as the cold weather would preserve them quite well. Great country for grave robbing I would imagine.
    Hidden Content

Marching Towards the Abyss...............

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Fenster View Post
    Trailer Park Boys.
    How does someone from Ireland know about the Trailer Park Boys?
    Fenster is about as Irish as Tony Cascarino

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by LEGION View Post
    It's big.....It' cold.....Lots of places to dump corpses and you could go back agan and again to visit them as the cold weather would preserve them quite well. Great country for grave robbing I would imagine.
    Most of the country is cold in the winter, but on the southern west coast it's very nice temperature wise. It rarely snows more than a few cm's here each winter, if it snows at all.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

the women

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I really don't know what to tell you, I'm not much of a patriot or anything like that but I will state that it is a great place to live for the most part. I'd stay out of Alberta if I was you, along with the rest of the Praries it's essentially Canada's bible-belt.

If you have any direct questions I'll be happy to try and answer them for you.

The economy of Alberta is by far the strongest in the country because of all the oil, and Calgary is a very nice city, not particularly conservative, that is only a couple hours away from the Rocky Mountains. Calgary also has the Bow River flowing right through the middle, which is a world famous trout stream.
    I'm from B.C., I'd be run out of the Province if I said anything nice about Alberta. They do have an incredible economy, no doubt about that. As for Calgary, I wasn't very impressed when I was there, but it's a helluva lot nicer than Edmonton.
    BC is home, but after living in T.O. for 20+ years I have come to realize that British Columbians in general seem to have some kind of inferiority complex about their position in confederation or something. They resent the hell out of the east, and they seem to resent Alberta too. Other than that though, they're a pretty good bunch.

I spent a year in Calgary when I was in my 20s. Loved it. Like you I wasn't crazy about Edmonton. Honestly, I could live most places. For me a city is more a state of mind (my mind) than it is geography.

Montreal is a great city too.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

BC is home, but after living in T.O. for 20+ years I have come to realize that British Columbians in general seem to have some kind of inferiority complex about their position in confederation or something. They resent the hell out of the east, and they seem to resent Alberta too. Other than that though, they're a pretty good bunch.

I spent a year in Calgary when I was in my 20s. Loved it. Like you I wasn't crazy about Edmonton. Honestly, I could live most places. For me a city is more a state of mind (my mind) than it is geography.

I can't speak for other people from B.C. really, but there is definitely a deep-seeding sense of dissatisfaction with the rest of the country. In general, most people (myself included) seem to feel that we are underrepresented in government and that the needs and desires of anyone west of the Rockies are rarely considered. As for Alberta, I think it's just a contrast between ideological perspectives. B.C. is the most liberal place in Canada and Alberta is the most conservative, there's bound to be friction. We are however united in our dislike of Ontario.

As I've stated before, my political views are not the norm, but I would have no problem if British Columbia became it's own nation. I'd probably actively support it if it were demonstrated to be feasible.

I've always wanted to see Montreal, I intend on doing so very soon.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I can't speak for other people from B.C. really, but there is definitely a deep-seeding sense of dissatisfaction with the rest of the country. In general, most people (myself included) seem to feel that we are underrepresented in government and that the needs and desires of anyone west of the Rockies are rarely considered. As for Alberta, I think it's just a contrast between ideological perspectives. B.C. is the most liberal place in Canada and Alberta is the most conservative, there's bound to be friction. We are however united in our dislike of Ontario.

As I've stated before, my political views are not the norm, but I would have no problem if British Columbia became it's own nation. I'd probably actively support it if it were demonstrated to be feasible.

I've always wanted to see Montreal, I intend on doing so very soon.
    That deep-seated sense of dissatisfaction has been around for as long as I can remember. I remember when I was a child and my father ranted about this. He hated Trudeau with a passion.

Honestly, I don't think BC is that badly off. If you believe in proportional representation according to population, then I think the system is probably quite equitable. If you think about the money a province puts into the federation in taxes compared to the money it gets back in funding, then BC is probably better off than Ontario.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Trailer Park Boys.
    I'm from England.

On a satellite station, paramount comedy, they showed it a couple of years ago. I loved it.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by BIG H View Post
    Trailer Park Boys.
    Fenster is about as Irish as Tony Cascarino
    ahahaha

I'm more Irish than him. Fact.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Mark TKO View Post
    Went last year. Loved it but wouldn't want to live there. Too vast and reckon it would be too cold for me in winter.

Favourite place was Jasper - felt and looked just like the town Rambo shot up in First Blood. Met some good locals and had some decent piss ups shooting pool woth them. Really friendly. It's weird walking home and suddenly a huge elk (?) just wanders down the street. Also came across a bear (cue the gags about 'did you wipe it off and apologise ?' ) but luckily was in the car.

Went onto Vancouver and that was great place too - though wandered off course one night and ended up in the area where all the homeless are. Couldn't believe it in two minutes I went from really nice area to streets with hundreds of bag ladies and junkies on. Was watching my back there I tell you !

Then onto Vancouver Island to see the whales and grizzlies. Nice but again even more remote.

In conclusion i am staying in Yorkshire

I assume you wandered to part of the Downtown East Side. It's not really dangerous at all though, it's just really sad.

As for Vancouver Island, that's where I live and I've never found it to be overly remote. Victoria, the city I live in, has over 300,000 people and Vancouver is about 1.5 - 2 hours away. Some parts of the Island are definitely remote though.
    maybe it wasn't dangerous but I panicked. I can handle 10-15 blokes attacking me no problem but now I'm late 30s I reckon I would have struggled with more than twenty thirty.

Stayed in a place called Telegraph Cove on Vancouver Island. Very remote and stank of fish ! Was good for the grizzly tour though and whales etc..
    Don't bully fat kids - they've got enough on their plate

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

East coast of Canada here, from the rebellious "french canada" Strangely enough, the views over here (in general, of course) are a lot like Vancouver: Very liberal, opposite to conservatism and pro-ecology and well known for its will (or let's say by a huge part of french canadians) to split apart from the rest of Canada. In general, the bigger clash comes with the middle's meadows too, especially saskatchewan and Alberta but provinces like New-Brunswick or BC are normally getting great along with Quebec (in general).
    As it has been stated before, ideology is quite variable from a Province to another, I would say that starting on each coasts it's more "liberal" and the more you head for the middle, the more conservative it gets, Saskatchewan and Alberta being the most convervatives you can get.
    Funny that peoples talk about Trudeau here, he's not hated only in Vancouver but also in Quebec where he's seen as a traitor in Quebec because of the feud with Levesque and peoples were pissed off power 10 when they renamed Dorval Airport P-E-T Airport... especially because ironically, he's the one who, at the time, decided to move everything from Dorval to Mirabel, only to hunt away countless farmers to take possession of their fields to build Mirabel who's not used anymore now.
    Hidden Content
    That's the way it is, not the way it ends

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I am no fan of Trudeau.
    Last edited by CFH; 05-29-2009 at 12:54 AM.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Went last year. Loved it but wouldn't want to live there. Too vast and reckon it would be too cold for me in winter.

Favourite place was Jasper - felt and looked just like the town Rambo shot up in First Blood. Met some good locals and had some decent piss ups shooting pool woth them. Really friendly. It's weird walking home and suddenly a huge elk (?) just wanders down the street. Also came across a bear (cue the gags about 'did you wipe it off and apologise ?' ) but luckily was in the car.

Went onto Vancouver and that was great place too - though wandered off course one night and ended up in the area where all the homeless are. Couldn't believe it in two minutes I went from really nice area to streets with hundreds of bag ladies and junkies on. Was watching my back there I tell you !

Then onto Vancouver Island to see the whales and grizzlies. Nice but again even more remote.

In conclusion i am staying in Yorkshire

I assume you wandered to part of the Downtown East Side. It's not really dangerous at all though, it's just really sad.

As for Vancouver Island, that's where I live and I've never found it to be overly remote. Victoria, the city I live in, has over 300,000 people and Vancouver is about 1.5 - 2 hours away. Some parts of the Island are definitely remote though.
    maybe it wasn't dangerous but I panicked. I can handle 10-15 blokes attacking me no problem but now I'm late 30s I reckon I would have struggled with more than twenty thirty.

Stayed in a place called Telegraph Cove on Vancouver Island. Very remote and stank of fish ! Was good for the grizzly tour though and whales etc..
    It's definitely not a nice place, and I understand that it would seem very dangerous to someone not familiar with the area and the circumstance and I certainly wasn't passing judgement on what you said. I was just commenting that, in my and many others experience, it's not a dangerous place per se, just an extremely depressing one. There was a club beneath the notorious Ivanhoe hotel where myself and some friends used to occasionally go to watch metal shows, and aside from having to avoid the discarded needles on the streets we never experienced any danger.

I've never been to Telegraph Cove, but I'd imagine it's a beautiful place. Lots of Black bears and other wild life I'd imagine.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by VanChilds View Post
    Molson Ice and Labbat Blue
    I doubt you can get them down in Texas, but Sleemans, Rickards Red, and Alexander Keiths are my favorite Canadian beers from large-scale manufacturers. However, as a rule I try to avoid those types of beer because all the preservatives ruin the taste for me. Okanagan Springs beers are great too, but I think they're more of a micro-brew style, I know they don't put any preservatives in their stuff.
    I'll look around and see about those brands...I do enjoy yalls beer...not so much your whiskey but yall make a hell of an ale
    Most bad government has grown out of too much government. Thomas Jefferson

Thread Information