Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Smile Pacquiao "not interested" in Cotto or Mosley, only Floyd or Marquez

Manny Pacquiao is supposedly "not interested" in fighting either Shane Mosley or Miguel Cotto on October 17 (the date of his next bout), but instead is interested only in facing the winner of the July 18 fight between Floyd Mayweather Jr. and Juan Manuel Marquez. Pacquiao is favoring Mayweather in that bout.
    It's interesting because you can look at it one of two ways. The biggest fight is not Pacquiao-Mosley or Pacquiao-Cotto, period. It is Pacquiao versus the Floyd-JMM winner, and we all know that. Having "no interest" in fighting them, though? He seems set on that October 17 date, which is four months after the Mayweather-Marquez bout and assumedly plenty of time for either man to recover, but what if it's a hard fight? What if the winner isn't ready to go that soon? What then? At that point, Mosley or Cotto become the best opponent.
    The Pacquiao Mania is pretty awesome and totally deserved, but it feels like we're all setting ourselves up for a letdown if he takes a "good" fight but not a great one in October. If he matches up with a guy on the level of Nate Campbell or Tim Bradley or the like (not that either is likely) instead of a Mosley or Cotto, people will complain. He won't be fighting a bad opponent, though. And frankly this is the type of situation you get sometimes with a great fighter. If he wants to fight, he's gotta fight someone, and the best just might not be available at that time.
    But it looks like Mosley will be available. I truly think Freddie Roach and Pacquiao know that's a tough matchup. Mosley is much bigger than Manny at 5'9", and he's still a beast of a welterweight. It's a great fight and one I'd love to see, but I don't think the Pacquiao camp or Top Rank are exactly itching to make that, and for fair enough reasons. I think they absolutely see Manny as a 140-pound fighter save for a special occasion like Oscar or Floyd, where the money is so good that you'd be a fool to pass it up.
    One other thing I was thinking about: It's too bad that the pricetag would be too high, because a Shane Mosley-Zab Judah fight on the Mayweather-Marquez undercard could've been a great idea at this point. It gets Shane in the ring in a should-win fight and there's still some decent name value going on there with Judah. I really wish Mosley would make a fight. Sadly I don't think the "big fights" he wants are coming.

Pacquiao "not interested" in Cotto or Mosley, only Floyd or Marquez - Bad Left Hook
    Last edited by pacman79; 05-27-2009 at 05:47 PM. Reason: link
    Champions aren't made in gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them - a desire, a dream, a vision.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Pacquiao "not interested" in Cotto or Mosley, only Floyd or Marquez

Quote Originally Posted by pacman79 View Post
    Manny Pacquiao is supposedly "not interested" in fighting either Shane Mosley or Miguel Cotto on October 17 (the date of his next bout), but instead is interested only in facing the winner of the July 18 fight between Floyd Mayweather Jr. and Juan Manuel Marquez. Pacquiao is favoring Mayweather in that bout.
    It's interesting because you can look at it one of two ways. The biggest fight is not Pacquiao-Mosley or Pacquiao-Cotto, period. It is Pacquiao versus the Floyd-JMM winner, and we all know that. Having "no interest" in fighting them, though? He seems set on that October 17 date, which is four months after the Mayweather-Marquez bout and assumedly plenty of time for either man to recover, but what if it's a hard fight? What if the winner isn't ready to go that soon? What then? At that point, Mosley or Cotto become the best opponent.
    The Pacquiao Mania is pretty awesome and totally deserved, but it feels like we're all setting ourselves up for a letdown if he takes a "good" fight but not a great one in October. If he matches up with a guy on the level of Nate Campbell or Tim Bradley or the like (not that either is likely) instead of a Mosley or Cotto, people will complain. He won't be fighting a bad opponent, though. And frankly this is the type of situation you get sometimes with a great fighter. If he wants to fight, he's gotta fight someone, and the best just might not be available at that time.
    But it looks like Mosley will be available. I truly think Freddie Roach and Pacquiao know that's a tough matchup. Mosley is much bigger than Manny at 5'9", and he's still a beast of a welterweight. It's a great fight and one I'd love to see, but I don't think the Pacquiao camp or Top Rank are exactly itching to make that, and for fair enough reasons. I think they absolutely see Manny as a 140-pound fighter save for a special occasion like Oscar or Floyd, where the money is so good that you'd be a fool to pass it up.
    One other thing I was thinking about: It's too bad that the pricetag would be too high, because a Shane Mosley-Zab Judah fight on the Mayweather-Marquez undercard could've been a great idea at this point. It gets Shane in the ring in a should-win fight and there's still some decent name value going on there with Judah. I really wish Mosley would make a fight. Sadly I don't think the "big fights" he wants are coming.
    all this proves is that Manny has no real interest in fighting REAL welterweight fighters while they're in their REAL weight class, he was all over the idea when Roach said 142, but since neither man took the bait, now he doesn't want the fight, i wouldn't say anything bad about Manny if he decided to take on Bradley or Campbell or even Torres, cause he'd be taking on the best at 140, unlike what he did at 135, Mosley and Cotto are both big names, and they both sell fights, so don't think that the money issue is that valid

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ElTerribleMorales View Post
    all this proves is that Manny has no real interest in fighting REAL welterweight fighters while they're in their REAL weight class, he was all over the idea when Roach said 142, but since neither man took the bait, now he doesn't want the fight, i wouldn't say anything bad about Manny if he decided to take on Bradley or Campbell or even Torres, cause he'd be taking on the best at 140, unlike what he did at 135, Mosley and Cotto are both big names, and they both sell fights, so don't think that the money issue is that valid
    You're such a hater dude!

It's all just talk.... and none of it really "means" or "proves" anything......

None of those guys you listed are maga draws as far as PPV numbers go. Money is a primary issue and will continue to be a primary issue.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I don't see why he Roach is now not interested since Mosley or Cotto aren't going for the "banana in the tailpipe" catchweight. Pac fought DLH at 147. Roach is a crafty dude and he is not interested in fighting the elite welterweights at welterweight. He is a former boxer and he knows it all too well that at an age beyond 30 there will be detriments to the body if you try to get down in weight too much. He wanted to get Mosley down in weight danger. Stop the nonsense and fight a top guy at 140. Bradley, Campbell, or even Judah. Unless, he wants to wait on PBF and chance an ugly negotiation over money and weight go through.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by fan johnny View Post
    You're such a hater dude!

It's all just talk.... and none of it really "means" or "proves" anything......

None of those guys you listed are maga draws as far as PPV numbers go. Money is a primary issue and will continue to be a primary issue.
    nobody is even talking about money. its about pac fighting welterweights at welterweights plain n simple

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If that is what Pacquiao thinks then i agree with him, it's PBF or Marquez.
    Cotto should rematch Mosley before either one of them fights Pacman in the future, and let's not forget Pacquiao is no Welterweight!
    Before the end of the year i would like to see Pac V PBF and Cotto V Mosley 2
    It should happen.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Wouldn't Mosley and Cotto be pussies for fighting Pacquiao or Mayweather because neither of them are legit welterweights?

I think PAcman should fight Cotto, and I still see it happening, lets wait for June 09 first.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I agree 100% with that. Not that I actually BLAME Manny. After all, he's a smart guy (and Roach also) and seems to know that the line has to be drawn somewhere. Eventually, he'd get KTFO'ed by an elite fighter at his natural weight. Too bad, though. Pacquaio-Cotto was starting to sound appealing.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

That's shame. It would be nice if PAC would take on a tough welterweight. That would really prove something big. But it's too risky.

But no, he thumps a washed up DLH and a so-so guy like Hatton, and he thinks he's God or something. But we've all seen stuff like this before, many times. Such is boxing.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by CGM View Post
    That's shame. It would be nice if PAC would take on a tough welterweight. That would really prove something big. But it's too risky.

But no, he thumps a washed up DLH and a so-so guy like Hatton, and he thinks he's God or something. But we've all seen stuff like this before, many times. Such is boxing.
    Yes mate.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by CGM View Post

All this has happened before and will happen again.
    For every story told that divides us, I believe there are a thousand untold that unite us.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Pacquiao & Roach aren't interested in Mosley or Cotto now because they haven't accepted the unrealistic catchweights! I don't blame Pacquiao, he should remain at 140 & either wait for the Mayweather/ Marquez winner or fight someone like Bradley.

I wish Mosley would make a fight soon! He should target Williams imo
    The Best There Is, The Best There Was, The Best There Ever Will Be

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
    Pacquiao & Roach aren't interested in Mosley or Cotto now because they haven't accepted the unrealistic catchweights! I don't blame Pacquiao, he should remain at 140 & either wait for the Mayweather/ Marquez winner or fight someone like Bradley.

exactly what i was saying, and then they try to label one a "hater" for saying it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I still see Pacquiao fighting and beating Cotto, he is a combination of too much speed, power, and skill for Miguel. I think him againt Mosley is an interesting matchup, but honestly I don't see how Mosley deals with Manny on the outside.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post

exactly what i was saying, and then they try to label one a "hater" for saying it
    Your not a hater mate, just stating the way you & many others (myself included) feel. Pacquiao is interested in fighting Mosley or Cotto but only at weights that are advantagous to him! This not interested business is rubbish. I bet if Mosley came out today saying he's prepared to meet Pacquiao at 142; Pacquiao would be all over it. But that ain't gonna happen cause Mosley, Pacquiao & Roach all know its not a realistic weight for Mosley to make & still be effective!

Pacquiao is a great fighter & I take nothing away from him for not wanting to meet Mosley or Cotto at 147, but saying he wants these guys & then putting on unrealistic stipulations to avoid them is just smoke & mirrors

Pacquiao should just come out & say 'I'd love to fight Mosley or Cotto but they are a little to big & it would be unfair for them to drop the weight, I think my best weight is around 140 & will concentrate my future efforts towards to Mayweather/ Marquez winner'

Nothing wrong with the truth!!!
    The Best There Is, The Best There Was, The Best There Ever Will Be

Thread Information