Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default People need to stop crying "robbery" in close fights

This shit gets on my nerves. Last night I felt Cotto did just enough to win, but sometimes people so badly want to see an upset they're claiming robbery in a fight that could have swung either way. Its as if because Cotto was expected to win, because it was close the other guy should get it by default. Its not a robbery, its just bad luck. Really though, if Clottey had thrown punches in the last 3 rounds instead of giving them away he could have made it clear to the world he was a winner. Instead he looks like a guy that put in a decent effort but ultimately came up short. We had the same thing in January when Berto beat Collazo. It was close as hell but because Berto got the nod we had endless threads on how Collazo was robbed. Calling these fights robberies is an insult to some real judging injustices that happen in the sport.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: People need to stop crying "robbery" in close fights

Quote Originally Posted by bzkfn View Post
    This shit gets on my nerves. Last night I felt Cotto did just enough to win, but sometimes people so badly want to see an upset they're claiming robbery in a fight that could have swung either way. Its as if because Cotto was expected to win, because it was close the other guy should get it by default. Its not a robbery, its just bad luck. Really though, if Clottey had thrown punches in the last 3 rounds instead of giving them away he could have made it clear to the world he was a winner. Instead he looks like a guy that put in a decent effort but ultimately came up short. We had the same thing in January when Berto beat Collazo. It was close as hell but because Berto got the nod we had endless threads on how Collazo was robbed. Calling these fights robberies is an insult to some real judging injustices that happen in the sport.

Exactly and to add to that Cotto did what a GREAT champ should've done start strong and finish strong which he did. He dropped the bigger guy in the first and won the last 2 rounds convincingly.
    [SIGPIC]
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I wouldn't say Cotto won the last 2 rounds convincingly, the 11th maybe, but I thought Clottey did more in the final round.

Anyway agree on people crying robbery over any fight. I could understand the fighters feeling they were robbed, they were in there, but even though I thought Clottey won by a round or 2, calling it a robbery is a joke, as it was when people were doing it after Berto/Collazo. It is funny that there are some people who were creating threads on that fight being a robbery, are now complaining about people calling this one a robbery (not you bzkfn, just a few other posters).

I also don't like the post-fight, 'let's try & run the other fighter down for whatever reason because it was close' kinda threads. 'Cotto is a dirty fighter', 'Clottey is a coward', those kinda things really piss me off. Both guys went out fought at a tough pace & gave us as fans a great fight, & all people can do is pick holes.

I think one thing that does get on my nerves was the scoring though. Even though I thought Berto beat Collazo, the guy who had it 115-111 clearly showed that he was going to 'help' Berto to a win no matter what, whilst the guy who had it 116-111 to Cotto yesterday showed a similar attitude. I mean really if 100s of people can realistically score a fight like that (probably 114-113 or 115-112 to either guy) than how can pro judges struggle so much. It leaves a bad taste in the mouth.
    Last edited by JazMerkin; 06-14-2009 at 03:45 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Clear to everyone but the judges, two of whom had it 116-111, 115-112 for Cotto. Otherwise, you make a decent case.

I really think the scoring system in boxing is kind of senseless. Boxing has ten points to work with, dammit maybe they should start using more of them. I think then a lot of problems with so-called dodgy decisions would disappear. If every round has to be 10-9, or 10-8, may as well make them 2-0 or 1-0

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Close fight would automatically mean robbery these days. Its a crying shame.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Good post.

I agree 100%.

people won't change though.

Mentioned
    1674 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Agreed, robbery is the first Lewis v Holyfield, not Cotto v Clottey
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Clottey could have fought more aggressive especially when you have for 9 rounds a badly cut Cotto. The fight was close and I personally was astonished how Clottey refused to capitalize on the cut. Cotto had vision problems and couldn't see the right hand all night. I think the heart Cotto showed and the lack of heart or intelligence Clottey showed played a part in the scoring of the judges. Clottey complained every chance he had while Cotto refused to let a very bad cut end the fight. I don't think many fighters would have fought on with that much of a disability. That cut was bad, Cotto fought on, and I think it played a part in the scoring. Not saying Cotto was given the fight because of that but in a close fight something like this plays a factor.

XaduBoxer Guest

It won't change... One good example is, up to these days, we still hear people crying "robbery" in JMM's fights with PAC... Those were close fights...

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If you want to talk about robberies in their career just take a look at Whittaker-Chavez or Whittaker-Delahoya.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Good post!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I agree, but I don't think Cotto beat a bigger man, Clottey didn't look very much bigger to me, more defined definitely, but not bigger.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Close fight is the key word. 116-111 isn't close, what it does show is that one judge thought even with two knockdowns clottey probably still wouldn't have won. I hate post fight bitchin but yea clottey has a right to cry. That being said leaving it up to judges who you know have the final score ready after the first round on damn near puerto rican day with a parade including cotto the next day planned, anything short of pulling out a gun and shooting cotto probably gets you a loss. Still good fight though, i'll take it.
    Hidden Content Click clack ! Give up the purse.........or yetti will find you.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It does seem to be a knee-jerk reaction.A close fight is sometimes seen as 'it could have gone either way' but that drives me loony as well.Have to follow each round...shifts in momentum etc.There is always an equal case to be made.....if it was a pinch close then why not a little extra something in spot a or spot b to take that win??Clottey a case in point for me.A robbery is one that leaves you feeling lied too and pissed off.Not in the interest of one fighter but knowing that you just witnessed a fighter get the 'grab your ankles' treatment from the judges......and ultimately there is not one thing that you can do about it.

It looses its distinction when we blur it and has fans arguing amongst themselves over a point or two.Robbery's should be spoken of at every oppurtunity...keep them in the know.Years later some one goes on about how so and so was undefeated,generalizing at times and so on.If the record books could only speak though.A case of never believe all that you read .

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Agreed! Seems like some fans want boxing to be like American Idol, where they get to vote....

Thread Information