Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Aaron Pryor

Have just watched his fight against Arguello and really liked his stlye. That recklessness against a feared puncher was very exciting and impressive. I was wondering if people could tell me about him. Ive heard that Leonard ducked him and that the only greats on his record are Cervantes and Arguello. However what was the rest of his resume like? Was it a good 140 pound era and were does he rank with other light welter greats?

ICB Guest

Default Re: Aaron Pryor

Quote Originally Posted by Motor City Cobra View Post
    Have just watched his fight against Arguello and really liked his stlye. That recklessness against a feared puncher was very exciting and impressive. I was wondering if people could tell me about him. Ive heard that Leonard ducked him and that the only greats on his record are Cervantes and Arguello. However what was the rest of his resume like? Was it a good 140 pound era and were does he rank with other light welter greats?
    Thats about it his two best wins were against Antonio Cervantes, Alexis Arguello x2, both past there prime but both still very good wins. Although the 2nd Alexis Arguello fight, Alexis Arguello was seriously shot.

It wasn't a strong era but he still would do well in mythical match ups, i've never seen anyone as aggressive as Aaron Pryor.

He was one scary/crazy guy in the ring, he also had drug problems which was sad to hear, and his problems catch up to him in his only loss, a fight that should have never happened.

Get any of his fights prior to the Gary Hinton fight, there all wildly entertaining.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

i no pryor was trying to get leonard in the ring for years he even gate crashed leonards press confrences. weather leonard was ducking him or not,or the money wasnt there who nos, it would of been a helluva a fight tho

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Cobra, not sure if you already have but stick BoxRec in your favourites it's handy as hell for checking out fighters

For example click this
    Aaron Pryor
    Ta daaaa!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Can someone tell me how you get pictures under your text? Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Can someone tell me how you get pictures under your text? Thanks
    i think u do it on ur signature mate then enable it to come up on each post

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Leonard fought successfully against Duran, Hearns, Benitez, and Hagler. I can't possibly imagine he was afraid of Pryor.
    Last edited by CGM; 06-26-2009 at 10:02 PM. Reason: grammar/spelling

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by CGM View Post
    Leonard fought successfully against Duran, Hearns, Benitez, and Hagler. I can't possibly imagine he was afraid of Pryor.
    It's possible...too high of a risk too low of a reward...
    "Sixty forty I kicks yo' ass, Sixty forty I tears yo' ass up" - Roy Jones

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by JonesJrMayweather View Post
    If that's true then Leonard made a business decision. The money wasn't right. But Leonard fought tougher guys and won, so there is no way in hell that Leonard "fears" Pryor.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

That would have been a fun fight to see at 140. Pryor was a natural at Junior Welterweight and that would have been an all-time fight that we would talk about. It would be in the same class as Haglar-Hearns, Ali-Frazier, Leonard-Duran, Barrera-Morales, etc.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If that's true then Leonard made a business decision. The money wasn't right. But Leonard fought tougher guys and won, so there is no way in hell that Leonard "fears" Pryor.
    What's funny about that comment is...Now a days when someone makes a "business" decision they're "bad for the sport" , "afraid" etc... funny Leonard gets a pass..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

IMO there is no way Sugar Ray ducked Pryor. Benitez, Duran, Hearns, Hagler and Norris are all Hall of Famers. Pryor simly wasn't as big a draw as any of those guys. When Ray was the Welter Champ he even fought a very tough Ayub Kalule to win the Jr. Middle weight title when he could have picked up that title vs. a much easier champ.

There always going to be guys that get missed. Pryor was one of them.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

What's funny about that comment is...Now a days when someone makes a "business" decision they're "bad for the sport" , "afraid" etc... funny Leonard gets a pass..
    Funny? What ever are you talking about? Dude, I never said business decisions were bad for the sport, and I sure ain't giving Leonard a pass. Leonard beat Duran, Hearns, and Hagler, I don't imagine he has any problems in the confidence department.

What do you think about business decisions? You're a Floyd fan aren't you? There's a walking talking business decision if there ever was one.

IMO Leonard have would have picked Pryor apart and knocked him out. But that's a different story.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by jdonaher1 View Post
    IMO there is no way Sugar Ray ducked Pryor. Benitez, Duran, Hearns, Hagler and Norris are all Hall of Famers. Pryor simly wasn't as big a draw as any of those guys. When Ray was the Welter Champ he even fought a very tough Ayub Kalule to win the Jr. Middle weight title when he could have picked up that title vs. a much easier champ.

There always going to be guys that get missed. Pryor was one of them.
    By that logic, then it could be said PBF has
    hernandez, corrales, manfredy, castillo x2 , hatton, ODLH, chavez... so then its okay to miss mosley because the money isnt right.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Funny? What ever are you talking about? Dude, I never said business decisions were bad for the sport, and I sure ain't giving Leonard a pass. Leonard beat Duran, Hearns, and Hagler, I don't imagine he has any problems in the confidence department.

What do you think about business decisions? You're a Floyd fan aren't you? There's a walking talking business decision if there ever was one.

IMO Leonard have would have picked Pryor apart and knocked him out. But that's a different story.
    Business decisions are fine...no im not a floyd fan, but i respect his talent and at the same time hate his "business decisions", having said that I've wanted him to fight shane for the past several years just to see it because those are two of my top 5 all time...and since RJJ was too big to see a fight with him and shane then the next two on the list are actually plausible.

Thread Information