Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My thoughts on the Maidana vs Ortiz fight..

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thumbs down My thoughts on the Maidana vs Ortiz fight..

1. On the second k.o Maidana went down and got back up, and then went back down willingly i seen a few fights stopped after that...

2. On the beginning of the 6th round when Ortiz put his glove out and Maidana took a free cheap shot at Ortiz who clearly had his chin expose trying to touch gloves is just a pus*y move. I know you have to protect yourself at all times but i mean.... wow. Makes you wonder what would happend if that had not happend, since the fight was explosive.

3. I really did not like the way Ortiz quit... It was very cowardly and not in mexican spirit... We seen fighters worse battle it out... Im pretty sure cottos cut was equal or worse... I know it's hard being in the ring although i never went pro i did box a bit amatuer and i know its a very tough sport, maybe im being cruel but its just what i expect from my mexican/hispanic fighters... after all, this is a brutal sport, this is not a pretty sport at all... if Maidana would have quit when the going got tough maybe i would not be ranting now :P but he did not he battle it out like a warrior and look what happend...

4. Im still a fan of victor ortiz i lost a bit of respect for him but i will still support him being a hispanic fighter, and a likeable kid that is well spoken...

and lastly god are those argentian soccer chants annoying :P..... props to maidana for overcoming the ko's.
    Hidden Content There is no reward for second place

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: My toughts on the Maidana vs Ortiz fight..

1. - I definitely dont think the fight should have been stopped when he took the knee....He has 10 secnds and he didnt appear all that hurt. Ortiz appeared in much worse condition when he was knocked down in the 1st round.

2. - Ortiz hadnt been touching gloves with Maidana in any of the previous rounds so why the hell did he try to do it in the sixth I dont blame Maidana at all for that shot. I believe Ortiz was hurt and was not thinking clearly. That was a stupid move on Ortiz part, you cant blame Maidana.

3. - I dont look down on Ortiz for quiting for the night. It is not like he quit when the fight just started to get rocky (ala Kermit Cintron), he took alot of punishment and was in bad shape. I hope he doenst give up on his career cause he has potential. I also think De La Hoya and Co. put too much pressure on the kid.

4. - I feel bad for the kid and i think it is going to be a tough road back cause that was a brutal fight and he took alot of punishment but I think he can come back and be successful. He needs a trainer like manny steward who has brought people back from big losses to tighten up that defense.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

No way should the ref have stopped it when Maidana went down, that would have been an all time bad stoppage.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter View Post
    1. - I definitely dont think the fight should have been stopped when he took the knee....He has 10 secnds and he didnt appear all that hurt. Ortiz appeared in much worse condition when he was knocked down in the 1st round.

2. - Ortiz hadnt been touching gloves with Maidana in any of the previous rounds so why the hell did he try to do it in the sixth I dont blame Maidana at all for that shot. I believe Ortiz was hurt and was not thinking clearly. That was a stupid move on Ortiz part, you cant blame Maidana.

3. - I dont look down on Ortiz for quiting for the night. It is not like he quit when the fight just started to get rocky (ala Kermit Cintron), he took alot of punishment and was in bad shape. I hope he doenst give up on his career cause he has potential. I also think De La Hoya and Co. put too much pressure on the kid.

4. - I feel bad for the kid and i think it is going to be a tough road back cause that was a brutal fight and he took alot of punishment but I think he can come back and be successful. He needs a trainer like manny steward who has brought people back from big losses to tighten up that defense.
    I agree with everything you've written.

ICB Guest

I just watched the fight great right and the 1st round, could be the ROTY. I was expecting to be really annoyed at Victor Ortiz, after all the comments i had been seeing but you know what ?

I wasn't Victor Ortiz took some sickening shots in the 5th and 6th rounds, i was suprised he was still standing from some of those shots. They were brutal and his cut eye and his swollen eye were pretty bad.

Had no problem with him quitting in the fight, he was about to get stopped. So why take unnecessary punishment ?

Hell even the great warrior JCC quit against ODLH in there 2nd fight, and he took nowhere near the punishment Victor Ortiz did.

I say give him another chance he's only young, i've seen fighters quit in fights and comeback. Bert Cooper used to be known as a quitter, then he gave brave performances against Evander Holyfield, Ray Mercer.

One last thing no way the fight should of been stopped on when Marcos Rene Maidana. Went down in the 2nd round, he clearly knew what he was doing. And he smart going back on the canvas to clear his head.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: My thoughts on the Maidana vs Ortiz fight..

Boxing is a test of will as well as skill. Ortiz has skill and was a better technical fighter than Maidana IMO. The thing is, different fighters react differently to their first gut check in the ring and this is what separates the mediocre, good and great fighters. As some have mentioned, Ortiz was probably going to be stopped anyway when he quit, but it was his comments after the fight about him not being sure he deserves to be taking this kind of punishment that makes me question his desire. I could understand a statement like that from a 35 year old who had been in a lot of wars but to my knowledge he has never taken a bad beating. He only had one loss prior to the Maidana fight and that was by DQ. Maidana was down 3 or 4 times and each time he got up with an intent to win.

I had never seen Maidana fight before and I am now a fan of his. He will most likely provide an exciting fight each time out because of the abundant punching power he possesses. As for his dirty tactics, actually they both punched behind the head, Maidana a little more though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yup Maidana having no publicity support whatsoever and having a great heart was a thriller a shocker. This live underdog could be a helluva fighter with top notch coaching.
    [SIGPIC]
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Victor Ortiz was not ready for a HBO headliner.
    Psalm 144: Blessed be the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by BoomBoom View Post
    Victor Ortiz was not ready for a HBO headliner.

Looked more like he wasn't ready for an ass whooping.
    Hidden Content

Marching Towards the Abyss...............

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The kid reminds me of a poor mans Juan Diaz....Got bloodied and panicked, the only thing is Diaz bonified himself as a champion before we found out his fear of seeing his own blood

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by DaxxKahn View Post
    The kid reminds me of a poor mans Juan Diaz....Got bloodied and panicked, the only thing is Diaz bonified himself as a champion before we found out his fear of seeing his own blood
    I really don't think Diaz panicked at the sight of his own blood. He's been boxing for a long time, and I'm sure at some point whether it be in the amateurs, sparring, etc. he'd been cut before. The cut may have distracted, blinded, and bothered him, but he got beat and disheartened by the fact that Nate Campbell beat him at his own game and did not wilt like everyone else he stepped in the ring against.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by CFH View Post
    I really don't think Diaz panicked at the sight of his own blood. He's been boxing for a long time, and I'm sure at some point whether it be in the amateurs, sparring, etc. he'd been cut before. The cut may have distracted, blinded, and bothered him, but he got beat and disheartened by the fact that Nate Campbell beat him at his own game and did not wilt like everyone else he stepped in the ring against.

If it was just the Campbell fight that happened in I would be inclined to agree with you but he fell into the same pattern with JMM...once he was cut he fell apart and JMM finished him off

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by CFH View Post

If it was just the Campbell fight that happened in I would be inclined to agree with you but he fell into the same pattern with JMM...once he was cut he fell apart and JMM finished him off
    Again, I think he fell apart because Marquez was hammering him with counter shots all night. The accumulation wore down Diaz and eventually stopped him. He was bothered by the cut, but I just think saying "it was the cut" is far too simplistic. I think the cut made him get more aggressive (if that's possible) and slightly reckless in an attempt to stop Marquez before it could become a major issue. Which, obviously, was a big mistake against a fighter like that. That led to him getting stopped when he did, but by that point Marquez had begun to take the fight over anyways.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I have no problems at all with Ortiz quitting when he did. I think he was smart to do so, avoid punishment and fight smarter another day. He's only 22.

As for the interview, who is in their right mind right after a crushing loss. Give the kid some time to think and you'll he'll be back with more focus.

Great fight and congratulations to Maidana for the exciting win.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think the thing that bothered me was how happy Ortiz seemed after the fight.

Thread Information