Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why is Mosley ranked higher than Cotto at welterweight?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Why is Mosley ranked higher than Cotto at welterweight?

ESPN has Mosley number one at welterweight and Cotto at number two. But, Cotto has beat more top ten welterweights than Mosley - Clottey, Quintana, Mosely, Judah, and Malignaggi (top ten at 140). Mosley has beat Margarito and Collazo and lost to Cotto. Cotto's only loss came at the hands - uhm bricks - of Margarito; that loss has to be at least partially tainted.

Maybe Mosley should be number one, but shouldn't it be more of a close-call than it is made out to be?

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Why is Mosley ranked higher than Cotto at welterweight?

Quote Originally Posted by Rantcatrat View Post
    ESPN has Mosley number one at welterweight and Cotto at number two. But, Cotto has beat more top ten welterweights than Mosley - Clottey, Quintana, Mosely, Judah, and Malignaggi (top ten at 140). Mosley has beat Margarito and Collazo and lost to Cotto. Cotto's only loss came at the hands - uhm bricks - of Margarito; that loss has to be at least partially tainted.

Maybe Mosley should be number one, but shouldn't it be more of a close-call than it is made out to be?
    Plaster aside, the welterweight division is really tough to properly rank.

The equation

Margarito > Cotto = Cotto > Mosley = Mosley > Margarito

shows inbalance in it's nature.

Ranking number 1 between Mosley and Cotto could spark an endless debate with valid statements on both sides. I personally think Mosley took the number one spot when he beat Margarito who had just taken the number one spot from Cotto. Cotto has not reclaimed that spot yet although he's one elk hair away from it.
    For every story told that divides us, I believe there are a thousand untold that unite us.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

You can make a case for Cotto or Mosley being number one. The whole margarito plastergate throws a wrench into the rankings. If it wasnt for the plaster Mosley would definitely be number one so that is probably why it is ranked like it is.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Mosely should be ranked ahead of Cotto.

1. Margarito (plaster or not) completely broke Cotto down. In fact, it remains to be seen if he will ever recover. The bottom line is Cotto ate a bunch of leather.

2. Mosely put on a clinic against Margarito. Mosely did not get hit much at all.

3. Cotto did beat Mosely. But I wish people would go back and watch that fight. No way in hell was it a blow out and in no way did Cotto dominate. In a rematch I would def wager on Mosely.

4. Mosely has a real record that is very established. Not too many Urangos in recent time with him.

I actually don't think if you had to ask anyone who the man to beat at WW, it would really be that close of a question. Hands down, Sugar Shane is the man.
    "If there's a better chin in the world than Pryor's, it has to be on Mount Rushmore." -Pat Putnam.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by boozeboxer View Post

1. Margarito (plaster or not) completely broke Cotto down. In fact, it remains to be seen if he will ever recover. The bottom line is Cotto ate a bunch of leather.

2. Mosely put on a clinic against Margarito. Mosely did not get hit much at all.

3. Cotto did beat Mosely. But I wish people would go back and watch that fight. No way in hell was it a blow out and in no way did Cotto dominate. In a rematch I would def wager on Mosely.

4. Mosely has a real record that is very established. Not too many Urangos in recent time with him.

I actually don't think if you had to ask anyone who the man to beat at WW, it would really be that close of a question. Hands down, Sugar Shane is the man.
    Cotto beat Mosley and Cotto beat #3 Clottey. Just these facts merit debate. As an analogy, remember Ring Magazine ranks Donaire ahead of Vic because Donaire beat Vic even though Vic has beat the better competition since that fight, which isn't even the case here.

Cotto's loss to Margarito, at least to an extent, can be chalked up to the fact Margarito was hitting him with bricks. Mosley didn't fight a Margarito with bricks.

We aren't talking about p4p. We are talking about at welterweight. Cotto has beat almost every single top ten welterweight with the exception of Collazo and Berto. Mosley has only beat Collazo.

It is definitely a close call even if Mosley gets the nod.
    Last edited by Rantcatrat; 06-30-2009 at 05:55 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Cotto beat Mosley and Cotto beat #3 Clottey. Just these facts merit debate. As an analogy, remember Ring Magazine ranks Donaire ahead of Vic because Donaire beat Vic even though Vic has beat the better competition since that fight, which isn't even the case here.

Cotto's loss to Margarito, at least to an extent, can be chalked up to the fact Margarito was hitting him with bricks. Mosley didn't fight a Margarito with bricks.

We aren't talking about p4p. We are talking about at welterweight. Cotto has beat almost every single top ten welterweight with the exception of Collazo and Berto. Mosley has only beat Collazo.

agree with all of it. especailly the words in bold. Cotto has taken all of the toughest fights at welter and no else has done this. i dont see how anybody cant be a fan of Cotto he takes on the toughest fights possible. im pretty sure if Paul Williams was still at 147 Cotto would be the only one who has the balls to take him on. anyways i think its pretty close but i would probably have shane 1st. but thats only because Margacheato beat Cotto (which is a questionable win now ) who was the #1 welter then Mosley beat Margacheato who was the #1 welter.

IMO shane and cotto should fight for the ring welterweight title

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by kingfrnk View Post

agree with all of it. especailly the words in bold. Cotto has taken all of the toughest fights at welter and no else has done this. i dont see how anybody cant be a fan of Cotto he takes on the toughest fights possible. im pretty sure if Paul Williams was still at 147 Cotto would be the only one who has the balls to take him on. anyways i think its pretty close but i would probably have shane 1st. but thats only because Margacheato beat Cotto (which is a questionable win now ) who was the #1 welter then Mosley beat Margacheato who was the #1 welter.

neither did cotto..he just got his ass whooped by pressure and will...

Two pictures: One with his hand wrap around cotto, the second is the ref kenny bayless raising margo's hand, clearly showing that if he had plaster around his hand then bayless must've bet on him...

cotto just got his ass whooped, valiant effort, but just had the wrong game plan. No cheating..even if he did cheat, which is clear that he didn't at least not against cotto....he still took all of cotto's shots and walked through them, he broke cotto's will.

Imageshack - margaritocotto.jpg

Imageshack - movieclipping5.jpg
    "Sixty forty I kicks yo' ass, Sixty forty I tears yo' ass up" - Roy Jones

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

THey fought and Cotto won a razor close decision that could go either way-- then mosely destroyed the guy who destroyed Cotto.

Many feel that Mosely is THE CHAMP.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by JonesJrMayweather View Post

Two pictures: One with his hand wrap around cotto, the second is the ref kenny bayless raising margo's hand, clearly showing that if he had plaster around his hand then bayless must've bet on him...

cotto just got his ass whooped, valiant effort, but just had the wrong game plan. No cheating..even if he did cheat, which is clear that he didn't at least not against cotto....he still took all of cotto's shots and walked through them, he broke cotto's will.

That doesn't prove anything. Marga-cheato was putting plaster into his wraps in front of the state inspectors, and no one ever noticed. It took a streetwise Nazeem Richardson to spot the "plastered Bastard's" secrete weapon.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Cotto beat Mosley in a great, close fight but Shane destroyed Margarito who beat Cotto.

That's it really as far as I can see.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Lance Uppercut View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JonesJrMayweather View Post

That doesn't prove anything. Marga-cheato was putting plaster into his wraps in front of the state inspectors, and no one ever noticed. It took a streetwise Nazeem Richardson to spot the "plastered Bastard's" secrete weapon.
    I had to laugh at that. The plastered bastard

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The thing is I really don't think Cotto-Mosley could go either way. At best I could see Mosley getting a draw but that's a somewhat iffy card IMO. It was close but clear IMO. Even when Cotto was "running" late in the fight he still clearly won 2 of those rounds IMO.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by OumaFan View Post
    The thing is I really don't think Cotto-Mosley could go either way. At best I could see Mosley getting a draw but that's a somewhat iffy card IMO. It was close but clear IMO. Even when Cotto was "running" late in the fight he still clearly won 2 of those rounds IMO.
    It was a Cotto win for me, I am big fans of both guys but I have watched the fight at least 15 times and Cotto won it.

I'd like to see a rematch because Shane is staying active and seems to have found a lot of motivation.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Cotto fought the best out there. The speculation on whether or nor Margarito used handwraps in that fight will always be there.

Cotto is a warrior, he got into a ring with a guy suspected of using illegal handwraps and he got into the ring with a guy known to be a HGH user.

HGH makes you just as good as you are in your athletic prime and in many cases better than you are in your athletic prime.

Mosley used the same sort of illegal drugs that Barry Bonds used. Barry Bonds was better in his late 30s using HGH than when he was natural and in his athletic prime, the same thing also applies to Roger Clemens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by generalbulldog View Post
    Cotto fought the best out there. The speculation on whether or nor Margarito used handwraps in that fight will always be there.

Cotto is a warrior, he got into a ring with a guy suspected of using illegal handwraps and he got into the ring with a guy known to be a HGH user.

HGH makes you just as good as you are in your athletic prime and in many cases better than you are in your athletic prime.

Mosley used the same sort of illegal drugs that Barry Bonds used. Barry Bonds was better in his late 30s using HGH than when he was natural and in his athletic prime, the same thing also applies to Roger Clemens.
    Enough with the mosley "cheated" bullshit...even the opponent in which he supposedly "used" them against, says he believes mosley to be innocent...on top of that, Mosley has never been fined or penalized for any wrong doing.
    "Sixty forty I kicks yo' ass, Sixty forty I tears yo' ass up" - Roy Jones

Thread Information