Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Kids and boxing

I am making this thread because I am interested in getting my nephew involved in boxing (or any other sport/combat sport he shows interest in). He's 5 years old and already seems to be an angry child. His parents split up after his father hit his mother in front of him (she was trying to stop that fuckers from hitting Saleem - my newphew), and being raised by a poor single mother who has to work quite a bit to support her two kids obviously isn't going to help anything. His mom has also had trouble with drugs in the past and I worry that if these problems return - hopefully they won't - he could be fast-tracked to a very unpleasant adolescence. I'd like to spare him from some of the same problems I had growing up.

I figured boxing would be a decent avenue for him as I know a (very) small amount about it and I have access to a wealth of information courtesy of this site. It also seems historically to have been a haven for kids in situations similar to his.

I'm just wondering how I would go about exposing him to the sport and introducing him to the basics. Though I've never personally seen it, I assume some boxing gyms would have classes aimed at children, but is it as simple as signing him up and taking him to a class? I'm working and going to school right now, so it's not like I have a ton of time to devote to these sorts of things...

Anyways, I guess I'm just looking for some advice regarding this situation. Thanks for reading this.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Kids and boxing

Quote Originally Posted by CFH View Post
    I am making this thread because I am interested in getting my nephew involved in boxing (or any other sport/combat sport he shows interest in). He's 5 years old and already seems to be an angry child. His parents split up after his father hit his mother in front of him (she was trying to stop that fuckers from hitting Saleem - my newphew), and being raised by a poor single mother who has to work quite a bit to support her two kids obviously isn't going to help anything. His mom has also had trouble with drugs in the past and I worry that if these problems return - hopefully they won't - he could be fast-tracked to a very unpleasant adolescence. I'd like to spare him from some of the same problems I had growing up.

I figured boxing would be a decent avenue for him as I know a (very) small amount about it and I have access to a wealth of information courtesy of this site. It also seems historically to have been a haven for kids in situations similar to his.

I'm just wondering how I would go about exposing him to the sport and introducing him to the basics. Though I've never personally seen it, I assume some boxing gyms would have classes aimed at children, but is it as simple as signing him up and taking him to a class? I'm working and going to school right now, so it's not like I have a ton of time to devote to these sorts of things...

Anyways, I guess I'm just looking for some advice regarding this situation. Thanks for reading this.
    5 might be a bit young IMO because lots of trainners wont want to send valuble time with a kid who wont be able to box til he is 10 or 11.
    I dont know what your experence is with boxing but you could get some pads of your own and teach him the basics before you take him to a gym if he still wants to go.

Show him this video I made about my local boxing club and it will show him what to expect.

http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-46ETSJKT0

GOOD LUCK!
    Balls

ICB Guest

Well i started boxing quite a few years ago, and i see little kids at my gym, i used to go to. And to be honest the kids there looked forced by there parents. I used to see and listen to the parents and i didn't like it IMO, they were too young to really know what they wanted.

I don't think letting a kid join a boxing gym at 5 is right to be honest, because even though you might not think it. Your actually forcing him into it without the kid knowing what he really wants yet.

I'd say wait until he's a bit older, and get yourself some pads or maybe a heavybag or a speedbag if you have room. And maybe let him watch some fights. And if he likes it then by all means let him go and see how he fares.

Be careful of what gyms you go to though, because some trainers are real jerks and let kids do sparring when there not ready. And they let him get hurt, so give it a few weeks trial and see what its like.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm not even sure if he'd be allowed. Might depend on the gym. Our cut off age is 10, but I've never seen one that age stay. Last week we did have a kid who is 8-9 come and check it out, and hit the bag a bit and did some cardio, but only because his dad is one of our reg. sparring partners and ex pro kick boxer. The kid also already has his brown belt and is going for junior black (?) in some sort of marital art, not sure which.

The age restriction for competition in Canada is 12. I just don't see too many between 10-12 that have lasted. Then again, most that have come and likely have the discipline are already playing hockey and have been for years, so it is often just overload them. Only one I know of, is 11 just about to turn 12 and he comes fairly regularly with his parents who are both there for fitness, and by regularly that means like 1 or twice a week. He has a genuine interest, but again, has hockey too so it's a bit much. lot of kids here play summer hockey as well, so there isn't really much off an season.

I think just about any distraction/sport/shared experience you can get with him would be good. If that means coming to the gym, then why not, if they allow it. It could be just one of many things you might be able to do with him. At 5 I was beginning the play hockey, and shortly finding I hated it. Ala pressure from family.

I suppose one might want to try many things with him. That is sorta how it worked for me. I played baseball, football, soccer, hockey, went to to a number of things before finding out boxing was my deal. Realized I wasn't a good team player when it came to sports, as for some reason I just couldn't stand not having total control and responsibility for the outcome.

Just spending time and opening doors for him, and showing an interest and building/working on a positive adult male relationship I think is the deal that'll help him most. Whatever that leads to for extra curricular, sport, hobby etc. Sounds like you already have a start on that, so good luck.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thanks for the replies. I should clarify, I don't want to set him up with a trainer or have him spar/train hard or compete at his age, I basically just want to find something(s) for him to do to keep him out of trouble as he gets older and I thought boxing could be one of those things. I certainly have no intentions of pressuring him into anything, if he doesn't like it that'll be the end of it (and he'd let me know ) and we'll try other things, it just seems like something he might like.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thanks for the replies. I should clarify, I don't want to set him up with a trainer or have him spar/train hard or compete at his age, I basically just want to find something(s) for him to do to keep him out of trouble as he gets older and I thought boxing could be one of those things. I certainly have no intentions of pressuring him into anything, if he doesn't like it that'll be the end of it (and he'd let me know ) and we'll try other things, it just seems like something he might like.
    And like I suggested, why not try it, if they allow it. All the experiences I had for the most part, whether they stuck or not, were good ones I think. For learning from. Except maybe soccer, which I sucked at as was new and they all played for years, and when they threw me in net and the whole team hated me cuz I was giant sieve and we lost like every game. lol

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Youngblood View Post
    And like I suggested, why not try it, if they allow it. All the experiences I had for the most part, whether they stuck or not, were good ones I think. For learning from. Except maybe soccer, which I sucked at as was new and they all played for years, and when they threw me in net and the whole team hated me cuz I was giant sieve and we lost like every game. lol
    God I hated soccer. I always played goal as well, because I was a really good hockey goalie, but I sucked at soccer. Thanks for bringing up some painful memories .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I happen to be bad at soccer too. Stick to defense

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The problem with kids that young is if they are acting out and being a bit angry they can sometimes go down the bully track. my friend who is a child psych usually recommends more team based activities at this age such as soccer. Boxing is great for self discipline but can leave you a little isolated as much of it as you know is just getting down to it yourself.

Difficult one mate but respect for you for trying to get him involved in something, most people these days resort to the television or computer games for kids.

Good for you mate, we can break the cycle if we want to .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

10 was the youngest possible age here last i heard.

You could watch some fights with him, or clips on youtube. maybe get a bag and teach him a little bit on your own, taking him running etc.

Thread Information