Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Rumors of Pac wanting Cotto at 143 Catchweight

If he wants total respect from the boxing world he should fight the real Cotto at 147 not making him come down to 143.Why not let Cotto come in at 147 and Manny can come in at what ever he wants aslong as its over 140lbs.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by killersheep View Post
    Well this kind of nullifies the point of 7th weight class right?

be it 145 or 143 those are not weight class limits.
    You are correct. If Pacquaio wins, his record won't be 7 weight divisions, it'll be 7 weight divisions with an asterisk. Plain and simple.

This all says something about the sanctioning body too. They are perfectly willing to bend their rules for the right amount of money.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by RP33 View Post
    Read this off of a website which is posted on BoxRec.. I have a few questions as well as comments on this topic.

Question: At which point, meaning which catchweight, does Pacquaio lose a bit of the glory of beating a 'bigger' man?

Comment: Pacquaio fought a De La Hoya who had to come DOWN to 147 in weight. He straight up beat the crap out of him at this weight.

Question: Why can Pacquiao fight DLH at 147 and not Cotto?

Comment: Clearly this is an attempt at strategy to weaken your opponent to make Pac's chance to win the fight significantly higher. The idea of a catchweight is so that two fighters in separate classes can meet in the middle, or at least a fair weight, not so that you can put dollar signs in front of someones face and force them to come down to a weight where they will not be their best. This has to be one of the biggest jokes of a request by a fighters team/promoter. HE JUST FOUGHT AT 147 AND KO'D SOMEONE BIGGER THAN COTTO. If i were Cotto i'd laugh at the thought of cutting weight AFTER Manny just fought at the weight. BUT of course there is this whole biggest payday of Cotto's career thing being waved in front of his face..

Does this bother anyone else? I mean, even if Pac was my favorite fighter this would seem a bit odd.. Even if Pac was my brother, i'd tell him he's a vagina and that he's good enough to fight at 147.. or 146 even. If you're going to do it, and you want the glory for it, DO IT RIGHT!

Good point about fighting Oscar at 147 but not Cotto. I don't like the whole catchweight anyways; but if Cotto takes the fight then I will still give Pac credit if he wins; not his fault they go for the $$$. But I thought this was going to be at 145?
    Hidden Content

Marching Towards the Abyss...............

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Read this off of a website which is posted on BoxRec.. I have a few questions as well as comments on this topic.

Question: At which point, meaning which catchweight, does Pacquaio lose a bit of the glory of beating a 'bigger' man?

Comment: Pacquaio fought a De La Hoya who had to come DOWN to 147 in weight. He straight up beat the crap out of him at this weight.

Comment: Clearly this is an attempt at strategy to weaken your opponent to make Pac's chance to win the fight significantly higher. The idea of a catchweight is so that two fighters in separate classes can meet in the middle, or at least a fair weight, not so that you can put dollar signs in front of someones face and force them to come down to a weight where they will not be their best. This has to be one of the biggest jokes of a request by a fighters team/promoter. HE JUST FOUGHT AT 147 AND KO'D SOMEONE BIGGER THAN COTTO. If i were Cotto i'd laugh at the thought of cutting weight AFTER Manny just fought at the weight. BUT of course there is this whole biggest payday of Cotto's career thing being waved in front of his face..

Does this bother anyone else? I mean, even if Pac was my favorite fighter this would seem a bit odd.. Even if Pac was my brother, i'd tell him he's a vagina and that he's good enough to fight at 147.. or 146 even. If you're going to do it, and you want the glory for it, DO IT RIGHT!
    You make good and valid points my friend. It is clear that this is why he wanted Oscar to drop weight to his "catchweight" because it would weaken him having not fought there for such a long time and the closest he had been (150 against Forbes) he looked ordinary at best. Pac and his men even demanded that each pound Oscar was over he had to give up a large amount of his purse (can't remember how much) so he would make damned sure he was spot on.

But then again last time out he fought Hatton at 140 and demolished him and that is Hatton's comfort zone.

To be totally honest I don't think the fight with Cotto is going to happen, they both fight under Arum and are his golden egg laying geese so he won't want to see either beaten. No I think that we will keep hearing these rumours about Pac to keep him in the public eye until the Floyd-JMM fight has been and gone. I see that one going to Floyd and then I see Pac and Floyd fighting at 147 and again I only see Floyd winning that one too.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

This is probably exactly what Pacquiao is looking for from the boxing public. Head games! A bargaining chip if you will.... What you have to remember about Pacquiao is that he enjoys gambling. He's just upping the anti abit fellas. He did the same thing with Hatton that made old uncle Bob throw in another cool million into the kitty. When you push someones buttons it gets them off their game.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by rjj tszyu View Post

You make good and valid points my friend. It is clear that this is why he wanted Oscar to drop weight to his "catchweight" because it would weaken him having not fought there for such a long time and the closest he had been (150 against Forbes) he looked ordinary at best. Pac and his men even demanded that each pound Oscar was over he had to give up a large amount of his purse (can't remember how much) so he would make damned sure he was spot on.

But then again last time out he fought Hatton at 140 and demolished him and that is Hatton's comfort zone.

To be totally honest I don't think the fight with Cotto is going to happen, they both fight under Arum and are his golden egg laying geese so he won't want to see either beaten. No I think that we will keep hearing these rumours about Pac to keep him in the public eye until the Floyd-JMM fight has been and gone. I see that one going to Floyd and then I see Pac and Floyd fighting at 147 and again I only see Floyd winning that one too.
    It was $1 million per pound over.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Diane View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rjj tszyu View Post

It was $1 million per pound over.

LOL
    Hidden Content

Marching Towards the Abyss...............

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I like Pac but I just can't see how anybody with half a brain can keep defending this catchweight crap he keeps trying to pull. He wants to win a welterweight title but won't fight a true welterweight. Roach has a different catchweight for each of the welterweights Cotto, PBF, Mosley, and Clottey. And the funny thing is he is willing to fight only PBF at 147. Does anybody really need to have this attempted draining tactic explained to them any simpler And off the point, Pac really has won a world title in 5 weight classes not 6. So 147 would be his 6th attempted title. He fought JMM for his featherweight titles but that fight was a draw so the champion remains the champion. If you want to stretch and count the Ring Magazine title, which is given on opinion and not on the line in a particular fight, then they gave Pac their belt after only one win at featherweight and that was against Barerra who wasn't even a featherweight champion.
    Last edited by blegit; 07-09-2009 at 05:50 PM.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by fan johnny View Post
    This is probably exactly what Pacquiao is looking for from the boxing public. Head games! A bargaining chip if you will.... What you have to remember about Pacquiao is that he enjoys gambling. He's just upping the anti abit fellas. He did the same thing with Hatton that made old uncle Bob throw in another cool million into the kitty. When you push someones buttons it gets them off their game.
    Funny. When Floyd does this, the same people defending Pac lose their minds & go on about how he is single-handedly killing the sport

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Smoke and mirror negotiations, and a lot of people are falling for it. Most everyone was up in arms about a catch weight of 145, so now with raising the possibility of 143, it all of a sudden has some of those same people going...well that's nuts, 145 maybe but...

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Exactly... it could just be a ploy to get people who want to see him fighting properly at 147 thinking that maybe 145 isn't so bad after all...

he was more than happy for Oscar to fight him at 147 pounds... Oscar actually ended up weighing 145, so if he asks any 147 fighters for less than that then he is trying to drain them pure and simple... Like I keep saying it's all to do with what Roach perceives to be the other guys opportunity to boil down to the weight fatiguelessly... not simply poundage.

The bottom line is that he can fight whoever he wants... but neither pac or his fans should expect him to get 100% (I'm not saying he deserves 0% either...) credit for beating a guy who isn't at or allowed to be at 100%

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by JazMerkin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by fan johnny View Post
    Funny. When Floyd does this, the same people defending Pac lose their minds & go on about how he is single-handedly killing the sport
    True..., but with Floyd it's a little more obvious what he's doing, right? I haven't read any reactions from Freddy Roach... a couple of weeks ago I read Roach was ok with 145... now, I'm wondering if Roach & Bob on the Phone...

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by littlebif View Post
    If he wants total respect from the boxing world he should fight the real Cotto at 147 not making him come down to 143.Why not let Cotto come in at 147 and Manny can come in at what ever he wants aslong as its over 140lbs.
    It's about the $$$ a name like Cotto would bring... not the respect of beating a Welterweight... Fuck that...

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I sure wonder if there ever has been any catchweight at hw? Maybe David Haye can tell Wlad to come down to 220 and fight him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Pac won world titles in these divisions.. 112, 122, 126, 130, 135, 140. Sorry Pac, but if you wanna be called a ww champ, then you must fight at 147. 147 is 147, it's not 143, 144, or 145. It's 147! Catchweights shouldnt be non-title fight in the first place.

Thread Information