Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Rumors of Pac wanting Cotto at 143 Catchweight

Share/Bookmark
    ICB Guest

Default Re: Rumors of Pac wanting Cotto at 143 Catchweight

Quote Originally Posted by JT Rock View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AdamGB View Post
    Pac is becoming just as bad as Floyd is... he wants a marguee fight against a big name... just not one who has an advantage over him... his fans will knock Floyd for trying to reduce the adversity he is up against whilst earning as much as he can but they don't see how similar what Pac is doing is.

De La Hoya ended up coming in at 145 or something... Why can he cope with that, but not a 145 Cotto? weight isn't the issue here... the drain of boiling down is.

If this turns out to be true then it's because he knows that because Cotto is smaller than ODLH he would find it much easier to make that weight... and therfore wouldn't be as drained.
    Say what you want about Floyd, but he never tried draining a fighter down before.

Hatton was at 147 before and wanted a shot at the Liner Welterweight Championship and the $$$$$$$$$ a Floyd fight brought

JMM called out Floyd and wants to be the one to take that 0 off his record

Floyd fought a healthy full 154 version of Delahoya whilst giving him every advantage, gloves, ring size etc. Why cant Pac fight Mosely or Cotto under those same conditions?
    Agreed and its not like Floyd Mayweather Jr is alot smaller than Manny Pacquiao, when he was Manny Pacquiao's age in the Amateurs wasn't he a Featherweight ?

I give Manny Pacquiao credit but i don't like what im hearing recently, and Manny Pacquiao putting on alot of weight since he was 17 isn't something out of the ordinary either.

As i've said many times im 19 and when i was 16 i was pretty skinny 140, but with lifting weights and eating alot more, i actually got up to 180s. Now i've lost a little weight cutting im a perfect size at 6'1 178 pounds.

Now obviously i was pretty skinny and cause im alot bigger than Manny Pacquiao, naturally its easier for me to put on the weight but Manny Pacquiao weight wise where he is now, with all his trainers, dietitians, getting him there is pretty normal IMO.

I haven't got anything bad to say about Manny Pacquiao, all i'll say if you can't move up enough in weight to fight Welterweights. Don't fight em end of theres plenty of fights i'd love him to take between 135-140.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It's just wrong and I don't like it.

Cotto struggled like death to make 140 all those years ago and all this time later I am sure it would be just as hard to make 143. The whole thing reeks of opportunism and Manny trying to make the biggest and easiest money possible by draining the WW's and having them fight at a weight which will hinder their performances.

I keep repeating myself, but if this is the only way to make the fight then I really am not all that interested in it. Why can Manny not just allow his opponent those two kg's and allow us to see a fight in which he is truly tested against a fighter who is at his best?

I would rather he stayed at 140 and cleared up rather than keep having this charade anytime a fight is discussed with a WW.
    Last edited by Gandalf; 07-10-2009 at 12:21 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by JazMerkin View Post
    I don't think 145 is evening the playing field, however, I think its at least doable for Cotto. Anything under & I think Pac loses a lot of credit he would otherwise get. However, a lot of the blame would go to Cotto for accepting it if he can't do it
    By wanting a catch weight, it is clear that Manny doubts his success against Cotto at 147. But Manny clearly sees the benefit of fighting Cotto at any weight, and the benefit is another large payday. As for Cotto, I don't blame him much if he accepts to fight at 143 and then does not make it/loses and if he takes a 30-70 split. The reason is that this fight for him is like an investment. Manny is the hottest thing in boxing right now and all I hear is that Manny is going to win this one mainly because he's Manny and mainly because Cotto has been "damaged" recently. A win against Manny will silence most of the doubters that always seem to be around and also set him up for a fight against Mayweather, that is if Mayweather dares step in the ring against Cotto. Chances are, Floyd will want to step in with Manny instead of Cotto, even if Manny loses.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Exactly... it could just be a ploy to get people who want to see him fighting properly at 147 thinking that maybe 145 isn't so bad after all...

he was more than happy for Oscar to fight him at 147 pounds... Oscar actually ended up weighing 145, so if he asks any 147 fighters for less than that then he is trying to drain them pure and simple... Like I keep saying it's all to do with what Roach perceives to be the other guys opportunity to boil down to the weight fatiguelessly... not simply poundage.

The bottom line is that he can fight whoever he wants... but neither pac or his fans should expect him to get 100% (I'm not saying he deserves 0% either...) credit for beating a guy who isn't at or allowed to be at 100%
    The thing is that 145 is not so bad in the first place. Cotto has weighed in at 146 and dropping one more pound to 145 is not like dropping three more.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Rican View Post
    Exactly... it could just be a ploy to get people who want to see him fighting properly at 147 thinking that maybe 145 isn't so bad after all...

he was more than happy for Oscar to fight him at 147 pounds... Oscar actually ended up weighing 145, so if he asks any 147 fighters for less than that then he is trying to drain them pure and simple... Like I keep saying it's all to do with what Roach perceives to be the other guys opportunity to boil down to the weight fatiguelessly... not simply poundage.

The bottom line is that he can fight whoever he wants... but neither pac or his fans should expect him to get 100% (I'm not saying he deserves 0% either...) credit for beating a guy who isn't at or allowed to be at 100%
    The thing is that 145 is not so bad in the first place. Cotto has weighed in at 146 and dropping one more pound to 145 is not like dropping three more.
    In that respect, why can't Manny go up another kilo and fight Cotto at his proper weight and get all the credit if he wins?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

at 144, there will be a good fight

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Pac is becoming just as bad as Floyd is... he wants a marguee fight against a big name... just not one who has an advantage over him... his fans will knock Floyd for trying to reduce the adversity he is up against whilst earning as much as he can but they don't see how similar what Pac is doing is.

De La Hoya ended up coming in at 145 or something... Why can he cope with that, but not a 145 Cotto? weight isn't the issue here... the drain of boiling down is.

If this turns out to be true then it's because he knows that because Cotto is smaller than ODLH he would find it much easier to make that weight... and therfore wouldn't be as drained.
    Say what you want about Floyd, but he never tried draining a fighter down before.

Hatton was at 147 before and wanted a shot at the Liner Welterweight Championship and the $$$$$$$$$ a Floyd fight brought

Floyd fought a healthy full 154 version of Delahoya whilst giving him every advantage, gloves, ring size etc. Why cant Pac fight Mosely or Cotto under those same conditions?
    Hatton was the financial draw here lets be truthful about that one. He may not have been the better fighter but PBF certainly doesn't rake in the PPVs. And, how was floyd Linear Welterweight Champ. Who he buy that from, as he certainly didn't win it, not from Baldomir, Gatti or Sharmba Mitchell thats for sure......
    Last edited by TheMacMagician; 09-25-2009 at 10:54 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by themacmagician View Post

Hatton was the financial draw here lets be truthful about that one. He may not have been the better fighter but PBF certainly doesn't rake in the PPVs. And, how was floyd Linear Welterweight Champ. Who he buy that from, as he certainly didn't win it, not from Baldomir, Gatti or Sharmba Mitchell thats for sure......

dunno about that

you take what they both did in the previous fight before that one. floyd ranked up easily a million in PPV. Hattons wasnt even a PPV event was it?

In terms of fan activeness then hatton is the most marketable fighter of the last 10-15 years. Where the financial side of things are concerned however the pulling power for that particular contest was mayweather
    one dangerous horrible bloke

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by RP33 View Post
    Read this off of a website which is posted on BoxRec.. I have a few questions as well as comments on this topic.

Question: At which point, meaning which catchweight, does Pacquaio lose a bit of the glory of beating a 'bigger' man?

Comment: Pacquaio fought a De La Hoya who had to come DOWN to 147 in weight. He straight up beat the crap out of him at this weight.

Question: Why can Pacquiao fight DLH at 147 and not Cotto?

Comment: Clearly this is an attempt at strategy to weaken your opponent to make Pac's chance to win the fight significantly higher. The idea of a catchweight is so that two fighters in separate classes can meet in the middle, or at least a fair weight, not so that you can put dollar signs in front of someones face and force them to come down to a weight where they will not be their best. This has to be one of the biggest jokes of a request by a fighters team/promoter. HE JUST FOUGHT AT 147 AND KO'D SOMEONE BIGGER THAN COTTO. If i were Cotto i'd laugh at the thought of cutting weight AFTER Manny just fought at the weight. BUT of course there is this whole biggest payday of Cotto's career thing being waved in front of his face..

Does this bother anyone else? I mean, even if Pac was my favorite fighter this would seem a bit odd.. Even if Pac was my brother, i'd tell him he's a vagina and that he's good enough to fight at 147.. or 146 even. If you're going to do it, and you want the glory for it, DO IT RIGHT!
    Who was bigger than Cotto? Oscar weighed a pound less than Pac that night.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by hattonthehammer View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by themacmagician View Post

dunno about that

you take what they both did in the previous fight before that one. floyd ranked up easily a million in PPV. Hattons wasnt even a PPV event was it?

In terms of fan activeness then hatton is the most marketable fighter of the last 10-15 years. Where the financial side of things are concerned however the pulling power for that particular contest was mayweather
    I'll give it that combined they made the money but boxing and vegas hasn't seen a fan following the likes of Hattons for a long time and won't see it again for a long time either....

Thread Information