Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Hopkins wants the winner of Dawson - Johnson

Per Hopkins on ESPN. I think, I just caught the end of it.

Ztrain4ever Guest

Default Re: Hopkins wants the winner of Dawson - Johnson

dawson is too fast for hopkins I believe at this Point in thier careers... Hopkins would have to smother him in order to win... like he did with trinidad but dawson is 1000 times better then trindad tho

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I actually agree with the Z train here. I think Hopkins is playing this game a little fine and Dawson has speed that will put an end to him once and for all.

I don't think Dawson is that good, but Hopkins really is that old.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think Dawson should beat Hopkins and that Hopkins should get old at some point, but the first Johnson fight showed that Dawson was a sucker for the right hand and that he could be hurt. Hopkins has one of the best right hands in the game and Dawson's volume could play into his counter-punching style. However, Calzaghe showed what a good workrate could do against Hopkins as well. It would really be a pick'em fight in my mind. I'd lean towards Dawson though.

I think Hopkins would beat Johnson in a fight that no one would give a shit about.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by CFH View Post
    I think Dawson should beat Hopkins and that Hopkins should get old at some point, but the first Johnson fight showed that Dawson was a sucker for the right hand and that he could be hurt. Hopkins has one of the best right hands in the game and Dawson's volume could play into his counter-punching style. However, Calzaghe showed what a good workrate could do against Hopkins as well. It would really be a pick'em fight in my mind. I'd lean towards Dawson though.

I think Hopkins would beat Johnson in a fight that no one would give a shit about.

I would love to see Johnson/Hopkins it would be interesting to see how much has changed since the first time they met in the ring so many years ago. I have no problem with either fight being made, but I would like to see Hopkins take at least a tune-up between now and April of next year (which is when the fight would most likely happen)
    For every story told that divides us, I believe there are a thousand untold that unite us.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by killersheep View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CFH View Post

I would love to see Johnson/Hopkins it would be interesting to see how much has changed since the first time they met in the ring so many years ago. I have no problem with either fight being made, but I would like to see Hopkins take at least a tune-up between now and April of next year (which is when the fight would most likely happen)
    Really? I'd (obviously) watch it, but that fight doesn't appeal to me nearly as much as Dawson - Hopkins and I don't know that it would capture peoples attention in the same way that fight would. I like Johnson and I'd be happy to see him get the payday, but I'd much rather see Dawson in his place.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I don't see how this fight does anything for Hopkins. A win does little for his legacy. At this point, it seems to me the only fights worth taking for him are ones that will enhance his legacy. I think he should take the Adamek fight. It would give him the legit championship in a third weight class. I think it is also a more winnable fight than with Dawson. Dawson is too fast for Hopkins at his age. Adamek would be similar to Pavlik, a slow, one dimensional plodder who Hopkins should be able to out skill if he can handle the weight increase.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It would just be insane (in a good way) if Johnson and Hopkins got it on again.If he beats Dawson he would have most certainly earned it.

I like Dawson over all as a fighter.But think he is moving a bit sideways in career momentum.I keep flashing back to what Dawson said about a 40 year old already beaten Tarver taking him out of his game plan last out.I think Hopkins does that times 3.If Tarver landing right hands and rocking him,no doubt Hopkins as well.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ClubberLang View Post
    I don't see how this fight does anything for Hopkins. A win does little for his legacy. At this point, it seems to me the only fights worth taking for him are ones that will enhance his legacy. I think he should take the Adamek fight. It would give him the legit championship in a third weight class. I think it is also a more winnable fight than with Dawson. Dawson is too fast for Hopkins at his age. Adamek would be similar to Pavlik, a slow, one dimensional plodder who Hopkins should be able to out skill if he can handle the weight increase.
    Really? I think this is a very meaningful fight for Hopkins, he will be fight todays best Light Heavyweight, so either he proves he's still the best or passes the torch. I think should he win it will definitely add an important name to his legacy. As for Adamek that would be a great fight as well, but I don't know if Hopkins could make weight, he has to work very hard to get up to 175.
    For every story told that divides us, I believe there are a thousand untold that unite us.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Really? I think this is a very meaningful fight for Hopkins, he will be fight todays best Light Heavyweight, so either he proves he's still the best or passes the torch. I think should he win it will definitely add an important name to his legacy. As for Adamek that would be a great fight as well, but I don't know if Hopkins could make weight, he has to work very hard to get up to 175.
    Yeah, but Hopkins already got his "old-man-schooling-the-young-lion" cred by whipping Pavlik. Trying to do that again with Dawson would just be covering old ground, a win would be impressive certainly but I don't think would add much to his legacy, especially compared to the Adamek fight which would give him a legit title in another division.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yeah, but Hopkins already got his "old-man-schooling-the-young-lion" cred by whipping Pavlik. Trying to do that again with Dawson would just be covering old ground, a win would be impressive certainly but I don't think would add much to his legacy, especially compared to the Adamek fight which would give him a legit title in another division.

Agree to disagree, no problem....I just think that Dawson is a totally different animal than Pavlik. I just think the weight differential to Cruiser is too great which is why he didn't go through with the Adamek fight before. Another 25 pounds up at his age will be difficult, and while Adamek is a stalking fighter he has more tools than Pavlik. I have no problem with the fight Hopkins is taking, I look forward to it either way be it Dawson (with handspeed equal to Calzaghe's) or Johnson (whom he has a lot of shared history with)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Agree to disagree, no problem....I just think that Dawson is a totally different animal than Pavlik. I just think the weight differential to Cruiser is too great which is why he didn't go through with the Adamek fight before. Another 25 pounds up at his age will be difficult, and while Adamek is a stalking fighter he has more tools than Pavlik. I have no problem with the fight Hopkins is taking, I look forward to it either way be it Dawson (with handspeed equal to Calzaghe's) or Johnson (whom he has a lot of shared history with)
    The bolded is precisely why I think the Adamek fight does more for Hopkins legacy than Dawson. The weight differential may well be too great, which is why it's a big risk and covering new territory in his career. Personally, I don't think the weight will be an issue. I've never seen HOpkins remotely hurt, at least not in the past decade, and he's so hard to hit flush I just think he would out skill the much slower Adamek. But what you said is perfectly legit which is why the fight is so compelling. I'm not saying the Dawson fight wouldn't interest me but I don't think it adds as much as the Adamek fight.

Mentioned
    1671 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I bet Hopkins is hoping Johnson pulls off the upset. Hopkins has little chance against Dawson.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The bolded is precisely why I think the Adamek fight does more for Hopkins legacy than Dawson. The weight differential may well be too great, which is why it's a big risk and covering new territory in his career. Personally, I don't think the weight will be an issue. I've never seen HOpkins remotely hurt, at least not in the past decade, and he's so hard to hit flush I just think he would out skill the much slower Adamek. But what you said is perfectly legit which is why the fight is so compelling. I'm not saying the Dawson fight wouldn't interest me but I don't think it adds as much as the Adamek fight.
    Cheers

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Also killer we are both discounting the possibility of a Johnson win. I thought Johnson beat Dawson the first time and he almost KO'd him a couple of times. If Johnson wins, that really would be a pointless fight since HOpkins already KO'd an unbeaten Johnson more than a decade ago.

Thread Information