Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Berto-vs-Aydin in Turkey?

As promoter Lou DiBella put it: "In the economic world we live in today, if you can go somewhere to make a big event, you have to look at it. If they're talking millions of dollars in a soccer stadium, you have to look at it."

That's the scenario that could send welterweight titlist Andre Berto to Turkey to face Selcuk Aydin if Berto doesn't wind up making a deal to fight titleholder Shane Mosley, said DiBella, who promotes Berto.

DiBella said Arena-Box promoter Ahmet Öner, who promotes Turkey's Aydin, has contacted him about putting together the fight at a stadium in Istanbul.

"They've got to come up with millions, but Ahmet is working on it on his end," DiBella said. "The Turkish government would be involved. I guess they want to bring a big championship fight there. Ahmet said he'll get back to me."

"We are working to make it happen," Öner told me in an e-mail. "It is not easy because Turkish TV is paying, but not like HBO for a boxing event. The government is really interested, but we will see how big."
    DiBella said Berto (25-0, 19 KOs) is willing to go overseas -- without the support of HBO if necessary -- to make his fourth defense "if the money is substantial and we have assurances from the WBC about the neutrality of the judges and referee. Andre would be going into a sold-out place where everyone is rooting for him to get killed. But if the money is good enough, he'll go. Andre is a professional. Ahmet is talking about substantial money. When he talks about substantial money, I listen."

Berto has a mandatory due against Luis Collazo, whom he edged via close decision in January, but there are issues making the rematch because HBO is not going to substantially increase what it paid for the first bout and Collazo wants more for himself than the entire license HBO is willing to pay, DiBella said. But DiBella said Berto-Aydin would be worth enough money "that it would allow us to pay Collazo to step aside. Aydin is the next mandatory after Collazo anyway, so we'd be flipping the order and paying Collazo for it."

DiBella said he's spoken to Collazo promoter Don King, who was receptive about the possible scenario.
    Aydin (19-0, 15 KOs), a 2004 Olympian like Berto, earned his spot as the next mandatory challenger (and won the vacant European title) with an exciting ninth-round knockout of Jackson Bonsu on July 11. It was a terrific fight and Aydin would be a handful for Berto.
    DiBella said he is considering Aydin because talks for a fight between Berto and Mosley have gone nowhere.

"I haven't gotten an offer other than what I already turned down from Golden Boy," DiBella said. "It was $750,000, less than we've been paid for our last few fights and the kid [Berto] isn't taking less to fight Mosley than he has for other defenses when this is much bigger fight."
    DiBella said that if Berto goes overseas, he has a suggestion for Mosley -- for him to fight another of DiBella's fighters, former welterweight titlist Kermit Cintron, who would love the fight.

Source: Fight in Turkey for Andre Berto? - ESPN

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Berto-vs-Aydin in Turkey?

This could actually be a very good fight, if Berto works on footwork and optimizing his understanding of distance (as he should be) then Berto will win a wide decision. I the same Berto of late comes in it could be a much closer fight than the odds will reflect especially in Turkey. Aydin has some really good power and is a tough mother which will be utilized if Berto tries to stand in the pocket. I hope this fight happens.
    For every story told that divides us, I believe there are a thousand untold that unite us.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'd rather see Berto-Mosley, but considering the lowball GBP offer, I wouldn't mind this. Also it being in a stadium would be fantastic if it came off.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Aydin is a trip,just a bit 'off' upstairs if you get my drift lol.He might get into Bertos head and is strong enough to take advantage of Bertos willingness to fall in and clinch it out.Could be a very,very physical fight.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    Aydin is a trip,just a bit 'off' upstairs if you get my drift lol.He might get into Bertos head and is strong enough to take advantage of Bertos willingness to fall in and clinch it out.Could be a very,very physical fight.
    Aydin is definately coocoo for cocoa puffs, thinks like a tank, fights like a tank..................
    For every story told that divides us, I believe there are a thousand untold that unite us.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I would love to see it. In a stadium in Turkey; cool sh#t. Never seen this Aydin kat but sounds rugged and not a bum to pad Berto's record; plus though I'm no fan of Berto he's getting shafted with the $$$ side of things in respects to a Mosley fight. Make it happen; sounds like it would be fun and "exotic" lol.
    Hidden Content

Marching Towards the Abyss...............

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by LEGION View Post
    I would love to see it. In a stadium in Turkey; cool sh#t. Never seen this Aydin kat but sounds rugged and not a bum to pad Berto's record; plus though I'm no fan of Berto he's getting shafted with the $$$ side of things in respects to a Mosley fight. Make it happen; sounds like it would be fun and "exotic" lol.
    Not much to Aydin, he just walks forward and once you're in range he goes for the KO, he has a great chin though and will take a beating for 3 rounds just to let the opponent wear down.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by killersheep View Post
    Not much to Aydin, he just walks forward and once you're in range he goes for the KO, he has a great chin though and will take a beating for 3 rounds just to let the opponent wear down.
    Just about my kind of fighter. I don't know why, but those attriton type guys with jaws made of iron have always been my faves; though Foster and Lewis are my all times. But the Hatton's, Feliciano's, Andrade's, Margarito's, Gatti's, Ward types are the ones I root for; don't know why. Liked that Escalante kid the other night alot too.

Sounds like Berto should take this one if he doesn't get stupid; he gets wild and wide alot though, so this fight could have some drama.
    Hidden Content

Marching Towards the Abyss...............

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

No doubt...strikes me as Mayorga-ish in style and Darchinyan in swagger.Call me nuts buy I give him a shot,would be a good one.Berto for all of his promise,still has some glaring flaws.Might get forced into exchanges

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    No doubt...strikes me as Mayorga-ish in style and Darchinyan in swagger.Call me nuts buy I give him a shot,would be a good one.Berto for all of his promise,still has some glaring flaws.Might get forced into exchanges
    To be fair, Berto does have about 4 times the handspeed, which will be his major advantage.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

WHO? WHERE?

Sounds like a mad plan to me

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Bilbo View Post
    WHO? WHERE?

Sounds like a mad plan to me
    Aydin in Turkey is perfectly respectable for Berto to take if he isn't happy with the deal he'd get from Mosley.

Thread Information